Mice lasers

pyrokid3

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering if anybody had ever tried taking the laser from a laser mouse and checked to see what the output is? I am assuming that it would be really low mw, but after reading the thread on DVD burners it made he think about other common household lasers.

luvlasers

Enlightened
Interesting question. Post the results if you ever find out how much power a mouse laser has.

I'd put my money on less than a mW.

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are LED's with a lens, they don't actually have a laser, and the light isn't culminated at all. It does converge at a point where the mouse pad is, and a sensor detects movement but not lasers.

rapt

Newly Enlightened
They are LED's with a lens, they don't actually have a laser, and the light isn't culminated at all. It does converge at a point where the mouse pad is, and a sensor detects movement but not lasers.

The new mice out do have lasers in them. They use a infrared laser diode instead of an led. I dont know what sort of power that would be putting out I guess less than 1mW if I get one I will test it.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, No. Just don't do it. Frikkin mice with frikkin lasers strapped to their foreheads has been done. It's always a bad idea. They're hard to control. They're hard to ship. You need expensive special containers. You'll lose mice handlers when they fight among themselves, and they fight all the time. They'll keep you up all night. They'll upset the balance of nature. Emergent behavior theory requires them to learn to work in groups so they can burn their way into your fridge late at night. You'll find the poor sobs who forgot to close their eyes stumbling around in the kitchen in the morning. They'll reroute the local trolley switches which will get the mayor personally annoyed with you. Maybe I'll tell you about some work I did along this line with sharks sometime, but for now, please, just don't do it.:poke:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new mice out do have lasers in them. They use a infrared laser diode instead of an led. I dont know what sort of power that would be putting out I guess less than 1mW if I get one I will test it.

My Targus laser mouse is Class I.