Microwave Light

torpeau

Newly Enlightened
The magazine section in today's Financial Times shows a Flashpoint ES that it says is a mini-microwave that looks like a torch but can be used to heat liquids to being "piping hot."

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
whoa....sounds scarry.......i wonder how it throws, perhaps in a situation where there was an attacker you could burn him from the inside out......all crispy like

Illum

Flashaholic
I wonder what they used to power the magnetron tube...if you ever opened a microwave its that big chunky looking thing towards the bottom chassis and it takes a tremendous current to operate:ohgeez:

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
ES Flash Point to be banned in the U.K. in 5, 4, 3, 2, ...:poof:

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
Thanks a lot, looks deadly, imagine some non flashaholic pointing in his face and turning it on.

That's why it has a built-in combination lock.

Oh yeah, I WANT ONE!

Searching has turned up nothing. Where can I find more information or better yet, where to buy it.

Last edited:

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
Bumping this thread to see if anybody has information on where to buy one of these.

Please, no stupid comments. I don't want this thread locked.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Methinks this is a gag. I can't imagine being able to develop enough power to heat food in such a small device. Even if it exists, I can't imagine it passing muster from a safety standpoint, not only from the standpoint of tissue heating, but also the possibility of creating arcing, and even the effects on one's eyes (dries them out and contributes to cataracts).

Illum

Flashaholic
an microwave torch is just about as dangerous as this portable EMP generator

With current technology, I think its possible to create cookable levels of microwave from a center spot but that wouldn't really be useful in boiling water...it might burn a hole in the cup, but not boil water:eek:

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
(Let's try this and see if it shows up!)
*edit: oops the calculation text came out pretty small. You can always use the "magnifier" in Windows if you can't read it. Sorry 'bout that!
---------------

It's been a while since I did heat problems like this, but I'll give it a shot. Mathcad to the rescue! lol

wattscalceu4.png

Sounds reasonable, considering it takes a 1000W microwave several minutes to boil a cup of water. :thinking:

So anyway, if this "microwave" light is going to boil your cup of tea in minutes, it's got to be packing 2500 watts or so. I'd love to have a power source like that in one of my flashlights!! (and still small enough to edc of course :D )

I say "Myth Busted" on this one :tinfoil:

Last edited:

jeremyison05

Newly Enlightened
an microwave torch is just about as dangerous as this portable EMP generator

With current technology, I think its possible to create cookable levels of microwave from a center spot but that wouldn't really be useful in boiling water...it might burn a hole in the cup, but not boil water:eek:

Oddly enough i've always wanted to see one of these in action :devil::whistle: