Milky Candle Pilot Run... (MC2 Teaser Photos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
VERY IMPORTANT UPDATE 2/23/2005! I'm locking this thread since it's getting pretty long. From this point forward, you can follow the MC2 and Milky Tester in the new thread I've started over here. Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Update 9/8/2004: I just posted a couple teaser photos of the MC2. They're at the bottom of the thread. (Well, at least they are for now!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

As things progress, I'll eventually open a new thread specifically for the MC2. When that happens, I'll announce it in THIS thread so anyone tracking this one will be aware of the new one. Until then, feel free to continue posting here! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
------------------------------------------------------------

Milky Candle Pilot Run... (Original Post)

Q: Can anyone guess what this is? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
A: The Milky Candle! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Top view:
image-cpf-mc-pilot-circuit-in-head.jpg

Side view:
image-cpf-mc-pilot-upright-on.jpg

Evolution:
image-cpf-mc-pilot-evolution-on.jpg

Some Quick Specs:
(summarized from posts lower in the thread)

Three brightness settings...

"High" runs at roughly Arc-AAA brightness for 43 hours on fresh cells.

"Medium" runs just bright enough to see everything in an average-sized room for 166 hours on fresh cells.

"Nightlight" mode runs bright enough to see everything in at least a 6 foot radius with dark-adapted eyes, for 1000 hours on fresh cells.

All three levels are current regulated, meaning equal brightness for pretty much the entire runtime. As the batteries reach the end of their service life, the Milky Candle drops into direct drive mode, meaning several more hours of gradually diminishing light. (Maybe dozens of hours in nightlight mode.)

Tailcap...

Like a SureFire tactical switch. Twist on, twist off, press for momentary activation. No lockout mode, but switch is inset to minimize accidental activation.

Ability to drain spent 123 cells...

The Milky Candle can run cells that don't even light up the SureFire Hurricane Lamp 12B. Once a pair of cells can no longer run in the Milky Candle at any brightness level, at least one is likely to measure flash amps of 0.01A or less.

Credits...

I've spoken with a number of people over the past few months, and their ideas helped gel the details of the Milky Candle as it presently exists. Too numerous to list, really, but you folks know who you are. Refinement of the Milky Candle will continue based on feedback from the pilot run. Thanks guys!

Doug Owen answered the call for a super efficient regulation circuit meeting particular benchmarks of brightness and runtime. He's designed a great "engine" for the Candle while paying attention to keeping it affordable. He's also been a mentor for me on production issues... no, more like a father... and as with all father-son relationships, sometimes he pisses me off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif But he's brutally honest and deserves a great deal of credit for his efforts.

The story continues. More details throughout the thread in subsequent posts.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Arriving Soon...

WOOOW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Nice, neat and clean /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

what is it called again??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
it is the milky.... (dunno the rest /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

Alrighty...you've finished/perfected the candle!! Congrats, could be a great emergency light...need to seal up that circuit though, eh? I know, I didn't need to say that...gonna sell them? How much? Runtime? Switch? Different colors available? Looks rugged, I like the PVC!

Where's that original thread...off to look...

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

very nice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

need to start making a couple hosts... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
these could make excellent gifts! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Heh heh, very nice Scott, if I were to buy one I would only have to get one a those cheep plastic flame-shaped frosted globes to fit over it, you know, to "complete" the look. Glad to see it come to fruition.

In fact once price is announced I am probably in for a couple.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Introducing... the long awaited.... :hold_breath:... MilkyCandle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. More details please. Paypal on the ready /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

silvercloud

Newly Enlightened

Nice work Scott. Perfect for the Holidays. They would work great as lights for the window sills, without the cords.

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast

Pipe bomb with a warning LED!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well done Scott. Nice and neat. Although I must ask where you managed to find those screw-on caps. My local hardware store said no one produced PVC screw-on end caps under 80mm.

Beautiful work. More details please. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CiTY

Enlightened

Scott, nice job, just in time for Christmas lites in the window, or even neater, replace the led with RGB for the holiday season. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif What are your price points?

rodfran

Enlightened

Looking good! Ready and waiting for more details. Good work, Scott!

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ohhh....okay, I want one...

Nice to see this project still evolving, has moved on a fair bit since the start hasn't it!

Oh, and below is the original link that I EVENTUALLY found the other day. Amazing what turns up when you clean up all the random bits of paper floating around ona desk isn't it.

LED DIFFUSER COVERS...FINALLY

John Frederick

Enlightened

If the price is right I'm in for a few. I'd also be interested in one that I could plug into the wall. My children have an extraordinary ability to break night-light bulbs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
Overall, a great job!

balticvid

Newly Enlightened

OK Scott......we're waiting.......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

What is it?
I'll have to go with a sanitized pipe bomb, with a warning light....and when it start to flicker....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

I know what it is. It is the famous "Milkey Candle". It's mission in life was supposed to be to look cool while milking the last drop of energy out of dead 123s....

If that is still the mission, I WANT!!!!

(will find a way to finance it!!!)

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

PlayboyJoeShmoe and hotbeam, right! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It's the... drumroll please...

"Milky Candle!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Yes, Playboy, it will suck a 123 cell completely dry if you let it. Your DMM might not even pick up any energy left in the cell. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Details on the way, but first to catch up on some posts...

Sigman, thanks for the kind words. Yes, there will be some epoxy potting over the circuit to protect it, but the photos are so much cooler without it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif The potting is also optional (maybe discouraged?) if you're a tinkering type and might want to mod the circuit to use a different LED, tweak the output levels, etc. In that case you'd just have to be more careful with your Candle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Other details and photos of the tailcap switch coming in my next post...

Rothrandir, I hope you will make some hosts! Let's talk offline about that possibility, sir. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Marked, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

MR Bulk, mod away! It's a pilot run... tinkering strongly encouraged. And if you find some great flame tops for the Candle, please share! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

silvercloud, we've been using a prototype around here for weeks now as a nightlight in the windowsill next to my 18 month old's bed. Sometimes I take night walks in the backyard. From the darkness of the yard, I can clearly see the tiny through the upstairs window. IMHO it would make a great holiday light, but I'm afraid we can't yet produce the quantities needed to do more than a window or two per person! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Steelwolf, the local hardware superstore has a box full of those couplings. I think they're 3/4 inch inner diameter if I recall correctly? So in metric, that's something like 19-20mm. The whole thing is sold as a unit, and is considered a coupling of some sort. Each endcap has a hole through it as shown in the photo. If you seriously want some, please PM me and I'll send a few your way at cost.

yclo, that thing's cool! Yours is kind of like the Milky Candle's short brother after he took steroids and bulked up. Don't blind yourself! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif What type of PVC hardware is that? Never seen that one before.

CiTY, anyone getting a Milky Candle has the option of having an RGB LED used in place of the "stock" white one, so long as they're willing to pay the additional expense or provide their own. It also might delay theirs from being built by a little, in order to get the part. BTW, thank you for the compliment. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

rodfran, thanks. You've been a cheerleader for so long, you definitely deserve one. There... the first one's allocated! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Zelandeth, sounds like my desk! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif Interesting link you found, because they look like exactly the same diffuser that will come with the Milky Candle in this run. Take a look...

image-cpf-mc-pilot-clear-diffuser.jpg

John Frederick, I hope the price is right! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif More on that shortly, so stay tuned. There won't be all that many in the pilot run, though, so you might have to wait longer to get "a few." Sorry, but this one won't plug into the wall unless you buy a wall wart adapter and do a little surgery. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif But as a nightlight it will last nearly half a year on one set of batteries, so maybe the plugging in isn't all that important? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

LEDependent, shiftd, koala, balticvid, thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts