• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Mini Mag Upgrade LED's (WahWang)

squirrel

Newly Enlightened
Tritium said:
I drill mine out to about 6.5 mm then remove the plastic flashing so they will pass completely through the reflector hole for better focus range.

Thurmond

so, drill out reflector to 6.5mm, 7mm, 8mm?
which one?

Tritium

Enlightened
squirrel said:
so, drill out reflector to 6.5mm, 7mm, 8mm?
which one?

It depends on how much focal adjustment you want between on and best focus.
Larger workes "best for me" giving maximum focus range with the Led fully seated on the mm socket. With a larger hole the reflector pushes on the socket as in the stock mm, with a smaller hole the reflector bears on the led instead of the socket. This can cause as I indicated above a lack of focal adjustment from on to best focus and can cause excessive wear on the led pins and socket pins as well if you don't use a tail switch.

Thurmond

bimemrboy318

Enlightened
Tritium,

Got my SMJLED put into my MiniMag 2xAAA. FYI, for the AAA MiniMag, don't cut the leads too short. The LED should not sit all the way down on the AAA version. If it sits too far down you'll never be able to focus to a tight spot. I ended up taking the old incan bulb and cutting off "extensions". I then placed these extensions in the socket and then put the SMJLED on top. Holds pretty tight still. I used a 1/4" drill bit. But this mangled my reflector. I suggest sanding the extra flange on the SMJLED and then using a 3/16" drill.

Brighter and more usable than stock, however, the spill is much larger than I expected and I think I'm losing alot of light due to that. This mod probably works better on the AA MiniMag because a larger and deeper reflector.

So, anyone have an extra MiniMag AAA reflector laying around?

thegratenate

Newly Enlightened
Got the in the mail, now I just got to find my old minimag reflector, or buy another mm, and figure out how to safely take apart my streamlight key-mate, Looks lliked lots of fun this weekend.

Tritium

Enlightened
All orders to date are shipped.
If you ordered earlier this week
your order probably shipped today
since I have been in bed sick for the last 3 days.
Better now though.

Thurmond

Tritium

Enlightened
not2bright shipped

nikon pp received shipping in the morning

BigusLightus plenty available.

Thurmond

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Omega Man said:
It's been 15 days since I started a runtime test (7/27) and the output is a little less than half the starting output. Still plenty of useable light in the dark.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1533156&postcount=99
Ok, I'm stopping the test after 2 months of it running now. It's now half as bright as the 'find-me/always on' level of my PAL lights (a SeaPal, a new Safe-Light, and Humvee). And maybe in another month, it'll be slightly less, but I want to play with the thing now! I'm sold on these being perfect for extreme situations, battery conservation, or long term/frequent blackouts.

Thanks again for offering these to us, Tritium.