MiniMaglite AA Question? Thanks in advance

lightinsky

Enlightened
I have a mini mag AA flashlight with a niteize 1 watt led in it. The lens is glass that I got online from flashlightlens.com I was wondering if anyone knows how I could paint the clear glass lens to make it red for night vision use?

I hope this is the right forum to post this. The last place I posted it it was closed. I don't understand the point of a website that moves your posting before helping you first by answering your questions. Not cool

Light Sabre

Enlightened
You can buy red lenses for it. A local hardware store here carries them. Not the norm I would guess. There are websites that sell all different colors of lenses for maglights. Don't know any off hand.

I have also used transpartent color film that I got from a Michaels hobby store to change the color of a flashlights output. Use the lens as a template and cut the film with an exacto knife, then install your new filter behind the lens.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can buy a kit which has a hex bezel which slips over the headof the minimag and included are several lenses, yellow, red, and I think blue. The bezel is nice because it also helps keep the light from rolling.

lightinsky

Enlightened
Thanks for the tips. I wanted to paint the glass lens instead. I will however look into what you can find at Michaels.

Thanks

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
A red led would work better.

Since they have lower vf you can direct drive them in a minimag

lightinsky

Enlightened
Where do I find a red led for my minimag? Also I went on flashlightlens.com and noticed for $15 they have a infrared lens and rubber holder. Is this better than a red led or night vision red?

Light Sabre

Enlightened

greenLED

Flashaholic
Where do I find a red led for my minimag? Also I went on flashlightlens.com and noticed for $15 they have a infrared lens and rubber holder. Is this better than a red led or night vision red?
Since you posted this in the NV section, I'll assume you have NV gear. If that's the case, an IR filter is what you're after, not so much a red filter.