Moby **** Trinity (3 X Ostar, 3 X Cree, 3 X Shark), beamshots added

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that light is amazing. Absolutely Incredible.

I do have to ask though (and sorry if it's a dumb question), but how did you get the QX Ostar's?

Shroomy, I have Arcmania to thank for the Ostars and the modified Sharks. Ostars do not come with any marking, but these are QZ bin, currently the brightest available. But they are hard to find, nearly impossible I have since discovered. I have some more on order from a distributor, which I'll have to test to determine their bin.

One nice feature of the heatsink design is the ability to unbolt the Ostars and easily swap them out. I believe there will be 1200 lumen Ostars soon, and even brighter ones in the future.

shroomy

Newly Enlightened
Ooops! Don't know why I was thinking QX :ohgeez:

Thanks for the info, I hadn't heard anything about new Ostars on the horizon. And once again, great job! That really is an awesome light

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I discovered some issues with the Sharks overheating, and fabricated some micro sinks attached to the top of the IC and the doide.

My first post has been updated with the additional work.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, LED... this thing is just crazy! And look at that output! Part flood, part throw, and raw power. I'm guessing you could light up the better part of a football field with it.

Cool micro-sinks too. I might've missed the mention, but are those little hand-made heat pipes on 'em? Cool!! No pun intended.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool micro-sinks too. I might've missed the mention, but are those little hand-made heat pipes on 'em? Cool!! No pun intended.

Thanks Bb, those are solid copper wire from the core of household Romex wire. I hammered the end flat to meet the tube, and soldered them to both sides of the box-shaped brass piece which was drilled through. One box has little fins cut and folded, but that convection cooling is neglible compared to the conduction, so I didn't bother with the fins on the other two.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
New 12 cell Emoli 18650 cells in 4s3p configuration with balance taps and adapter harness to fit your BC-6 on its way to LZ for final completion. This BC-6 is not a bad charger for the price since it includes AC power supply and balancer built in.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks LL for building this pack, it rocks! The light now performs as intended and then some.

I had to remove the decreasing-radius last coil of the tailcap spring to prevent contact with the balance plug, and now it is non-contact.

The tailcap also bottomed out on the pack before sealing, so I had an extension ring made that adds 0.280". One side has an O-ring seat and the other butts against the tube.

The light is such that the LEDs will begin glowing on lo at a cell voltage of 13.0 V. On a full charge the Ostars will all be lit, and below 13V not at all. So when the LEDs go out on lo, the cells are at 3.25V, well above the recommended low voltage, but a good time to recharge.

I ran the light for 5 minutes indoors and 9 minutes outdoors (13 degrees F) on continous hi before the head got very hot. I also ran it for 20 minutes at mid-pot, 500 mA, which seems to be a sweet spot for continuous runtime and stable head temp.

I ran the light for about 45 minutes total, and it is still going strong with good pack voltage.

I took Lux readings and at 1 m, my meter overloaded (>20,000 Lux). At 1.5 m, it put out 11,500 Lux.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
In my planning for the length, I cut off those bottom 3 tight wide end spring coils which on my HA longer tailcap version allowed clearance inside the tailcap....but it all depends on where the switch bottom ended up...and the ring is an elegant solution too. I'm not sure how much metal FM left in the center bottom of that chrome tailcap version, but my longer HA one is mostly all removed giving me more length.

Griff, once you receive this light, knowing how well I built it, and used new cells, I will warranty my battery pack for 90 days. Also, send me a PM to call and walk you through using the BC-6 balancing mode unless you are already clear about how the menus work.

That sound like a fabulous light, and it was fun working with you on it.

cat

Enlightened
Re: Moby **** Trinity (3 X Ostar, 3 X Cree, 3 X Shark)

:wow:

:bow:

Led Zeppelin was something else, and so are these lights.
Transcendental.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Griff, PP received. Trinity was shipped this morning, feels like I'm giving up a newborn. :mecry:

But I'm glad to send her to a good home. Show her the world and she'll light it for you!

beetleguise

Enlightened
Hi Zep, I just finished a puny mono ostar. I am amazed at the amount of light this thing puts out, but there is no spot. I have the fraen wide beam reflector and a 6 degree optic, but neither really makes a real spot, just flood. Where did you purchase your FRC-N1-OE2B-0 narrow beam reflectors? I want one if it will make a noticeable difference. Thanks O great modder!:bow: