Moby **** Trinity (3 X Ostar, 3 X Cree, 3 X Shark), beamshots added

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Moby **** Trinity (3 X Ostar, 3 X Cree, 3 X Shark)

Awesome mod Dennis (Again!) !!! :clap: ... :twothumbs

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Amazing!

Is there any way to get a shorter setup.4s2P maybe?

Benny

Benny,

If you could wire the pack that way and use Emoli cells, that would be possible.

My power supply is limited to 5 amps, so I couldn't test the draw at the lower voltages, but at 15.5 V it was drawing exactly 5 A. That figures to over 7 amps @ the 10.8 V of the 18 AA holder.

Hooking the light up to my PS and playing around with different Vin values and the pot turned to lo, I found 2 LED strings would start glowing at around 14 V, and the third around 16 V.

So a 4s pack at 14.8 V would be ideal, as long as it could supply the current. It would dim to near zero, and make life easier on the Sharks.

Interestingly the two Ostars that lit first would initially light 5 dies, then a bit more juice would light the last. Of each string the Ostar would light before the Cree.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Could this be the most state of the art/bad *** flashlight ever constructed? Holy crap man, excellent work! I could only imagine how awesome it must be to have something like this in your collection.

I need beamshots! How about comparing it to something well known like a M6, Mag85, or ROP High.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks guys for the very kind words.

Adirondackdestroyer, I found the light does reach full brightness on the 18 AA when fully charged, so I'll be taking beamshots as soon as the weather clears.

It would indeed be nice to have this in my collection, and I am growing quite fond of it. But unfortunately for me I must return it to the rightful owner, Griff, who provided the fine host. I'll keep it just long enough to verify the operation and fit with LuxLuthor's pack and complete the beamshots. I will build another for myself, but don't have a host quite as pretty.

I had to dismantle Griff's HID Ellie to build Trinity, so I certainly hope he doesn't regret it.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Absolutely stunning! Ingenuity at its best. Can't wait for the beamshots! I do believe this light should make a personal appearance at PF10 though. We could compare it to all kinds of lights!:twothumbs

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast

LED Zeppelin,

Roughly how much does one of these cost to put together?

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast

adirondackdestroyer, good question.

The difficulty is assessing the cost is the host. I'm guessing this particular host was well over $500, before any extension tube accessory or 18 AA holder.

Parts cost for the actual mod, including the pretty exotic low volume CNC milling of the 9 oz. heatsink approaches that figure as well, not including my build time of 8 - 10 hrs.

Then the proper cell solution, which isn't the 18 AA I'm temporarily running it on. LuxLuthor will work his magic (thanks LL), and 12 Emolis with some expert pack wiring won't come cheap either, but worth every penny.

So add all that up and you're well into 4 digit territory. Prohibitive? Yes. Worth it? That is all up to the beholder, in this case Griff. I certainly hope he thinks so, and after he receives his light back I hope he will post impressions, good or bad.

I will build a few more with hosts I have or am having made, probably some with just tri-Ostars as well. They likely won't be as fancy as this one, but also should be more reasonable. But regardless of the particular host, cell solution, and bin of LED, they will all probably be close to 4 digits.

wquiles

Flashaholic

Simply an amazing work of art!

Great job there dude :thumbsup:

Will

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

This is a beautiful job. It is a bit of a challenge to make 4s3p with 3 stacks of 4 wide Emoli 18650 cells...certainly not as straight forward as 3s4p would be. Also making a balance tap harness that will sit as a dongle in middle of Mag spring, with separate harness adapter that will allow pack balance taps to interface with Griff's e-Station BC-6 charger.

With 12 of these cells, I thought it wise in the long run to make sure cells inside pack get balanced when charged....at least periodically.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast

This light is as much about the cell solution as it is about the mod.

Thanks LuxLuthor for your efforts which will allow Trinity to realize her full potential. Prior to this mod I didn't need much more than a couple Li-ion stacks in parallel, but as these mods progress that won't cut it anymore. Trinity is encroaching on the cell demands of hotwires, and with your help I have had a rapid education.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not much of a hotspot, but HOLY CR@P, What A Wall Of Light!!

Beautiful work, love the beamshots!!

shroomy

Newly Enlightened
Wow, that light is amazing. Absolutely Incredible.

I do have to ask though (and sorry if it's a dumb question), but how did you get the QX Ostar's?

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy multi-die, multi-LED, multi-lumen, multi-:drool:, multi-soil my pants :ohgeez: :eek:

I LIKE IT!!! :rock: :twothumbs :clap: :bow:

:hahaha:Me :toilet:

BTW Dennis, should I send the PayPal today? ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts