Moonlight .2 lumens...

Pericles

Newly Enlightened
"I would also be VERY interested in say a 0.2, 2, 10 lm flashlight, or some dedicated low light derivative there of."

Twin,
If you are serious about those levels, you should look into a light from HDS Systems (RA lights). My Twisty can be programmed with three levels ranging from 0.07 to 100 lm. My EDC Clicky Executive can be programmed with four levels from 0.08 to 120 lm.
The Executive is available at $99.00. There are brighter versions available, but as you are interested in the lower levels, you probably won't want to pay extra for a higher high.
The Twisty is now only available as a Custom model for $144.00. The older miodel sold for $99.00. I don't know if a lower priced Twisty is in the works.
These lights are very rugged and highly regarded by most here on CPF.

Harry999

Enlightened
The HDS lights are good for low lumens. In fact I'm running a runtime test on a 140 Twisty at 0.3 lumens at the moment. It is the best IMHO for lithium primaries and rechargeable.

I have today though dropped the hammer on a Quark AA. Reading what I wrote above I could not wait until the end of the month. :shakehead

The HDS lights will have a 2xAA tube available shortly which I am really anticipating. However, I want access to moonlight lows in a single AA format as well. The Quark seems to supply that and I have seen many positive reviews.

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
I see a few flashlight companies are incorporating this into their flashlight output levels. Having never experienced such a low output, I was wondering if you folks could give me some opinions on it.

Can you read a map with it? Will it light up the ground in front of your feet? Do you have to squint so bad when you use it that you risk going blind?:nana:

TIA

Depends on the beam profile.

I used to really scratch my head wondering how 3 lumens could possibly be too much for anyone in any circumstance other than maybe military (not wanting to give your position away).

But then I realized MY 3 lumens is in a somewhat floody package.

Put that same 3 lumens in a much tighter beam, then yes, I could see where with fully night adapted eyes shining it on to, say, a piece of paper right in front of you would be way more than you'd want or need.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing i would like is a diffuser for the light to make the beam less intense and more even as sometimes even on moonlight or low the hotspot can blind you slightly if you were to bring the light up closer to your eyes like using it to check your backpack etc.

I have one of those. It works pretty well too and fits nicely on my Quark 1 x AA. It turns the beam into pure flood with no hotspot at all.

I think it is this one:
http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_23&products_id=1917
also available here: http://www.batteryjunction.com/olight-t-series-acc.html for the same price.
It came with my Olight Ti Infinitum, but it fits several of my other lights really well - including my Quark

I also have the red & the green filters, they all fit the same.

Before I got the quark my Jet-IIIM was the only light I had with a low enough minimum output. When you are camping and need to pee at 3am on a pitch black night you really don't want or need much light at all, just enough to let you avoid tripping over guy ropes & branches while heading to a suitable tree. Bright light can wake others & hurt your eyes as well as destroying your night vision.

TwinBlade

Enlightened
"I would also be VERY interested in say a 0.2, 2, 10 lm flashlight, or some dedicated low light derivative there of."

Twin,
If you are serious about those levels, you should look into a light from HDS Systems (RA lights). My Twisty can be programmed with three levels ranging from 0.07 to 100 lm. My EDC Clicky Executive can be programmed with four levels from 0.08 to 120 lm.
The Executive is available at $99.00. There are brighter versions available, but as you are interested in the lower levels, you probably won't want to pay extra for a higher high.
The Twisty is now only available as a Custom model for $144.00. The older miodel sold for $99.00. I don't know if a lower priced Twisty is in the works.
These lights are very rugged and highly regarded by most here on CPF.

At your suggestion, I looked at them. I don't know if it is the interface on their website or the way everything was outlined, but it seemed to me that the flashlight is going to come with an 82 page manual in size 9 print. The light itself looks great. I am really not diggin' the over-complicated jive that accompanies it though.

Keep in mind, I just cracked my second beer. I still have all my wits yet...

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would also be VERY interested in say a 0.2, 2, 10 lm flashlight, or some dedicated low light derivative there of.

Just because a light can be brighter doesn't mean you need to use the brighter modes.

With that in mind, you have lots of options:

Quark regulars start at moon and get brighter as you cycle. They have such tight hotspots that I almost never go higher than Low mode when I'm inside. Outside, I might use medium to see down the driveway. I only use High or Max when I'm with other people who have lights that have already ruined my night vision.

Programmable lights like the Ra Clicky, LF5XT, and JetBeam can be programmed to only have low levels. My LF5XT is set for 0%, 10% and 30% output, but even the 0% is way too bright for dark adapted eyes inside. The Ra's default low is a little brighter than the Quark's moon mode, but the floodier beam makes it seem like it's about the same brightness (it has 2 lower levels, but I haven't played with programming it yet). Both are excellent for navigating indoors. I don't have a JetBeam, but I've heard good things about their low levels.

The light I use the most for low is the Zebralight H501w. It's lowest output is around 2 lumens, but with no hotspot, it's actually friendlier to my dark adapted eyes than the Quark or Ra. The new H501s have an even lower mode available to them (0.3 lumens) which will seem much dimmer than the Quark since it has no hot spot.

Anyways, this sampling of excellent lights already out there that do what you want explains why no manufacturer would ever make a dedicated low level light. Current lights can already do what you want but have broader appeal since they aren't limited to low levels.

--flatline

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see a few flashlight companies are incorporating this into their flashlight output levels. Having never experienced such a low output, I was wondering if you folks could give me some opinions on it.

Can you read a map with it? Will it light up the ground in front of your feet? Do you have to squint so bad when you use it that you risk going blind?:nana:
0.2 lumen is surprising bright if your eyes are adjusted to the dark. In fact, it can almost seem too bright under the right circumstances. I have 0.07 lumen programmed into my Ra Clicky as the lowest setting which I find just about right for prowling about the house after dark.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
At your suggestion, I looked at them. I don't know if it is the interface on their website or the way everything was outlined, but it seemed to me that the flashlight is going to come with an 82 page manual in size 9 print. The light itself looks great. I am really not diggin' the over-complicated jive that accompanies it though.

Keep in mind, I just cracked my second beer. I still have all my wits yet...
It sounds more complicated than it really is. Just follow the directions and you'll have your light programmed in no time.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
The Ra's default low is a little brighter than the Quark's moon mode, but the floodier beam makes it seem like it's about the same brightness ...

Good point. Night vision is mostly adversely affected by too much lux (brightness), and with two lights having the same lumen output, one may have lower lux than the other. The floodier beam of the Ra, compared here to the Quark is a good example of that. Another light that has excellent flood characteristics and low lux, is the SF T1A.

Bill

Pericles

Newly Enlightened
Another light no one has mentioned is the Photon Proton Pro. This is a 1xAA light with infinite ramping from high to low. I don't know the measured output, but it seems the low is quite low. If the low is not low enough, there is also a ramping red emitter (from low to high) which can be set so dim you could stare at it all day (night?) wondering if it is actually on.
I'm very fond of mine.
It is on sale at BatteryJunction for $39.95.

Latest posts