• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired ::More Available!!:: 8-16-07:: Coast Focusing Lenser w/Seoul P4 $69 Shipped!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
In any case, I wanted to ask you if you has considered putting either of the new rebel or Q5 leds in this light.
I think you would need to change the optic if you went over to a Cree XRE led ? The original optic was for a Lux I, which by chance works with the SSC P4 led , but I don't think it will work well with a Cree led.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you would need to change the optic if you went over to a Cree XRE led ? The original optic was for a Lux I, which by chance works with the SSC P4 led , but I don't think it will work well with a Cree led.

You're absolutely correct...I just tried it. I used a small host light that has a Cree in it, and I was able to try all focal lengths with the Coast optic. Not good at all...oh well.

Theoretically the Rebel will work, I'll have to look into that.

Rob187

Enlightened
FlashCrazy

Just wanted to let you know that a second of your lights is now in Sydney along with Photongun's - I picked one up on CPF MP.

What an improvement over the stock version! Side by side, the extra brightness and quantity of light is amazing.

If anyone reading has been following this thread without ordering one as I was (lack of international shipping held me back ) - I recommend getting one now. It's an amazing mod.

Rob187

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Rob187, welcome to the "family"! :) I'm glad to see another one of my lights down under!

Thanks for the good words...and if you ever have questions or problems with the light, just let me know!

Last edited:

lyyyghtmaster

Newly Enlightened
Those beamshots with the SSC mod have got me hooked! A couple questions:

1. Can someone please give an update of how the dimmable versions of this light are coming along?

2. Is there a version that runs off two AA cells?

This light, as it currently is, is already extremely tempting. But:
I would VERY, VERY, VERRRY much go for a version of this light that ran on two AAs, had continuous (or, at a minimum, 20% and 100%) dimming, and had this superb focusing system and 800- 1000mA maximum LED current level on the latest SSC P4 emitter!!! :eek: :naughty: :twothumbs

lyyyghtmaster

Newly Enlightened
"What do you get if you cross a Fenix L2D base with a SSC P4 and the focusing head of a Coast Lenser?"

"I don't know, what?"

"Something pretty close to what that guy wanted in the last post!"

Hmm, very interesting. I may have to try that!! ;)

Buck

Newly Enlightened
How much variation in the focus do these have? Is it water-resistant?

Last edited:

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those beamshots with the SSC mod have got me hooked! A couple questions:

1. Can someone please give an update of how the dimmable versions of this light are coming along?

2. Is there a version that runs off two AA cells?

This light, as it currently is, is already extremely tempting. But:
I would VERY, VERY, VERRRY much go for a version of this light that ran on two AAs, had continuous (or, at a minimum, 20% and 100%) dimming, and had this superb focusing system and 800- 1000mA maximum LED current level on the latest SSC P4 emitter!!! :eek: :naughty: :twothumbs

Hi lyyghtmaster,

I've been playing around with the tailcaps from Coast's 7795 and 7798 models (Focus Dim and Dimming Lenser). They fit onto the Focusing Lenser (model 7438, which is the one for sale here in this thread). I've had mixed results...I'll be posting about them really soon...

This light doesn't lend itself well for other battery options, due to the uniqueness of the battery carrier. I too would like a longer runtime, but it hasn't really been much of an issue for me...I just bring along another set of batteries if I need to. To drive the emitter at 800-1000 mA using two AA's, about 1800-2000 mA would have to be drawn from them (because of the boost converter). You'd probably end up with about 1.5 hrs of runtime until the 50% light output point...at best. Right now the light does 1.0 to 1.25 hrs to 50%...not too shabby. I hear you, though...I've spent a lot of time in the shop trying to figure out how to make other battery options work. To do so would require a bit of fabrication and machine work.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much variation in the focus do these have? Is it water-resistant?

Hi Buck,

As with any "focusing" LED, there's not a whole lot of variation. However, in my opinion, Coast does it better than anyone else. I'd say the spot of light grows to about twice its size when on wide focus. I hardly ever use wide focus myself...I just don't find a need to. I think this light has one of the best "useable" beams, on its narrow focus (normal) position. I welcome those of you who use the wide focus position to post your thoughts. :candle:

The light is water-resistant, but not waterproof. I wouldn't hesitate to use it in heavy rain, and I wouldn't worry if I dropped it into a puddle...but I wouldn't go diving with it.

Last edited:

Buck

Newly Enlightened
Re: ::More Available!!:: 7-10-07:: Coast Focusing Lenser w/Seoul P4 $69 Shipped!

Yeah, I also wish the momentary was retained...oh well. I've found that for normal duty, it works ok for me. I can still quickly twist it on and off one-handed, although it's not as nice as the momentary on the original tailcap. I wouldn't use the dimming switch if I needed a true tactical switch, but for general spotting wildlife use or walking the dog, a quick burst to high is pretty easy.

For cyclists this operation sounds good! I've mounted (OK, masking taped) a 4 AAA Princeton Tec light atop my helmet for commuting,(fair for visibility, near useless for illumination) and it's fairly awkward to turn on since you reach up and grab the bezel, needing an extra hand to hold the light and not rip it off. Being able to hold the body and work the twisty tailcap with thumb and one finger sounds great. Also nice if it's mounted on a handlebar adapter as sold by the Fenix store, since that's probably more secure and the control might as well be closer to you.

I have a P2D on order, but this could be an excuse to get your mod as well. It's a safety issue :tinfoil:

Buck

Newly Enlightened
Hi Buck,

As with any "focusing" LED, there's not a whole lot of variation. However, in my opinion, Coast does it better than anyone else. I'd say the spot of light grows to about twice its size when on wide focus. I hardly ever use wide focus myself...I just don't find a need to. I think this light has one of the best "useable" beams, on its narrow focus (normal) position. I welcome those of you who use the wide focus position to post your thoughts. :candle:

Finally read the whole thread and found the beamshots. Looks like the variation is worth something. I don't expect it to go from a wall of light to a laser pointer, but it seems like a choice of med-high to high throw, which is a nice choice to have.

The light is water-resistant, but not waterproof. I wouldn't hesitate to use it in heavy rain, and I wouldn't worry if I dropped it into a puddle...but I wouldn't go diving with it.

No, i have actual dive lights for that. The UK Q40 LED Plus would seem to be the diving analog: appears to have an aspheric lens that projects the LED as a square of light. Pretty good throw, but it's supposedly (by Quickbeam) an under-driven Luxeon III, and they claim only 40 lumens. It seems the dive light makers have no interest in keeping up with the bleeding edge of LEDs. Or even the last two years...

Since the body isn't a circuit, I should feel fairly safe in slathering all openings to the outside world with silcone vacuum grease (or worse, at the tailswitch cover, like 3M 5200) to keep the salt water out, right?

soffiler

Enlightened
As with any "focusing" LED, there's not a whole lot of variation. However, in my opinion, Coast does it better than anyone else. I'd say the spot of light grows to about twice its size when on wide focus. I hardly ever use wide focus myself...I just don't find a need to. I think this light has one of the best "useable" beams, on its narrow focus (normal) position. I welcome those of you who use the wide focus position to post your thoughts...

I use the wide focus all the time. See my post #438 in this thread for my inputs on mountain biking with the Focusing Lenser.

Twice the diameter on wide-focus sounds roughly correct, without resorting to run off and measure it. But the quality of the beam pattern really should be explained further:

On tight focus, you don't get a laser-like throw, but rather a narrow cone of light that's hot in the center and tapers out to a relatively bright but narrow sidespill. It is a remarkably useful output pattern compared with most reflector-based lights which lose untold lumens to their wide sidespill.

On wide focus, you get a pretty even distribution of light which as stated above is about twice the diameter of the outermost edges of the narrow focus. But since the outermost edges of the narrow focus are really just bright sidespill, the "effective" diameter of the wide focus is more than twice. Note, there is a minor and I do mean MINOR donut-hole dark spot in the beam center on wide focus. It is NOT an issue in real-world situations but it does give the white-wall hunters something to complain about.

soffiler

Enlightened
...Since the body isn't a circuit, I should feel fairly safe in slathering all openings to the outside world with silcone vacuum grease (or worse, at the tailswitch cover, like 3M 5200) to keep the salt water out, right?

Right.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Jay,

I just wanted to let you know I received the light today. Just now that it was very dark I took it outside.

I want to say I appreciate your fast delivery, careful packaging and your little note page is also a good reminder on the key points. Especially if one has not spent weeks on the forums.

First, The light is higher quality than I expected, all parts including the battery carrier are above average. A very pleasant surprise, although I have a couple smaller Coasts and their quad-color which are all quite nice.

I really like the size and feel of the light. I have smaller hands and this light seems great.

When I first turned it ON inside I thought, 'oh it's not so bright'. Then did a quick wall test with the P1D-CE, hmm maybe it is quite a bit brighter. Then I did the white wall test in a 6.5ft deep x 4.5ft wide closet. Compared it to the P1D, and X03; hmmm it does look pretty bright.

After it got a little darker, I spotted a few more walls and thought it's is pretty decent.

OK now it's very dark outside, pitch black; WOW that thing throws a beam, a cutting beam. Wide is nice too, but focused... that's what this light is for.

* X03 has a great flood.

* A cheap Brinkman 3W/3AAA Aluminum is nice and soft, easy on the eyes and the neighbors.

* The Led Lenser SSC P4 kills the others for spot. The throw is incredible. :caution: This light is bright!! :caution: :party:

I didn't take the little P1D outside, I could only care so many with the garbage bag and all. I'll note I was just running it on the supplied alkaline AAA.

You wouldn't be able to get extra Battery Carriers from Coast for this light would you?

Thanks alot; pleasure doing business with you.

Take Care,
StandardBattery

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for posting your comments, StandardBattery! You're welcome, and thank YOU for your business! I'm glad you're happy with the light. As you found out, this light really comes to life outside.

I haven't been able to get just the battery carriers, or any other parts for that matter. Coast seems to only want to do warranty exchanges. If that changes, I'll let everyone know.

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
I wanted to comment on the CFL-P4 now that I've had mine for a couple weeks!

When I first got my CFL-P4 I thought that maybe my judgement had been skewed by the initial "shock and awe" factor of this light. Now that I've had it for a time I realize that isn't the case!!

This light has a huge hotspot, is very bright, and throws well too. It has became my "bump in the nite light".

Seriously Guys, for 69 bucks delivered, I think it is the best "tear a hole in the night" light you can buy!!

Jay provides a high quality, expertly modded light with fast delivery for a very reasonable price. If you want a light that's more fun than a monkey on a rock, this is it!!! :rock::bow:

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted to comment on the CFL-P4 now that I've had mine for a couple weeks!

When I first got my CFL-P4 I thought that maybe my judgement had been skewed by the initial "shock and awe" factor of this light. Now that I've had it for a time I realize that isn't the case!!

This light has a huge hotspot, is very bright, and throws well too. It has became my "bump in the nite light".

Seriously Guys, for 69 bucks delivered, I think it is the best "tear a hole in the night" light you can buy!!

Jay provides a high quality, expertly modded light with fast delivery for a very reasonable price. If you want a light that's more fun than a monkey on a rock, this is it!!! :rock::bow:

Thanks for the good words, BSCOTT...really appreciated! I'm glad you're happy with it. :grin2:

Status
Not open for further replies.