Mossy 500 pipe bomb?

angrywetcat

Newly Enlightened
Where's the pictures? You posted the exact same thing, word for word, on BFC yesterday. You promised pictures today.

Where are they or is all of this BS?

Databyter

Enlightened
The slug you fired the day before was old, partially wet powder or w/e and although it may have sounded like it it never exited the barrel.

The powder charge was compromised and therefore weaker, pushing the slug out of the cartridge but not out of the barrel.

When your sister fired her cartridge the barrel was not only obstructed, but obstructed completely with a lead slug, which probably made it out from initial pressures and momentum but not before the barrel disentigrated.

My 2 cents.

Patriot

Flashaholic
If a previous shot or squib wasn't even able to push the projectile out the barrel, there would have been nearly zero recoil or muzzle report. Chances are the OP would have immediately realized something was the matter had that happened.

It sounds to me as if the last several inches of barrel fractured in which case I doubt the obstruction was a 20 gauge shell. Most 20 gauge shells stop at the front of the forcing cone about 3.40" into a 3.00" chamber. If this had happened the chamber area itself would have ruptured instantly since just a little bit of extra resistance in that area sends chamber pressures sky rocketing. Also, even if it were possible to push a 20 gauge shell down into forcing cone 12 or more inches (I don't know the OP's barrel length and will assume it's 18-20") the first shell projectile wouldn't ignite the primer of the 2nd causing the shell to "fire" likewise it doesn't become a "bomb." Anyone who has fired bullets at the backs of loaded shells realizes that they don't fire or explode, they only deform structurally and leave unburned power leaking out of the shell. Primer's are particular about the type of hit they receive and instead react to the much slower, focused hit from a firing pin.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where's the pictures? You posted the exact same thing, word for word, on BFC yesterday. You promised pictures today.

daniel does not have access to a camera atm, so he showed me over skype:

dc8.jpg
dc2.jpg

dc3.jpg
dc4.jpg

dc5.jpg
dc6.jpg

dc7.jpg

Last edited:

JeffInChi

Enlightened
Maybe the barrel wasn't properly seated?

I don't know, if the barrel was correctly in place and unobstructed and you were using the proper rounds, thats very rare and odd.

Maybe you should go play the lotto next.

At least you can get yourself a 870 now :p

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
morepics
d3.jpg
d4.jpg

that metal shard fits in the below pictures. it is not actually attached anymore.
d5.jpg
d6.jpg

d2.jpg

da.gee

Enlightened
Wow! My Mossy 500 doesn't do those tricks... thankfully. Glad you weren't hurt.

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
Yea it seems like karma finally found its way to my (arm?) house, I made a mess of that situation, and karma made a mess of me.... I think its time for me to put some ice on my cut, Ill be back on the forum in 5

On a serious note though, Im throughly sorry for the trouble Ive caused Greta, hopefully she knows how much I mean that

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you fired it earlier that day , were you also firing slugs ?

Was any part of the choke left in the end of the barrel which would NOT let a slug pass thru ?

Where was the gun stored between firings that something may have gotten in the barrel ?

Did you slide it into a flexible gun case that could have had something inside , that could have gotten into the barrel ? (extra shells , parts , or the magazine PLUG which only allows 3 shells to be loaded)

Ask yourself how and when something could have gotten into the barrel since fired earlier in the day.

If stood in the corner , (bbl up) - maybe a child's toy got inserted , or something dropped into it.

Sounds and looks like something got into the end of the barrel without you knowing it. (you don't store drugs in there , do you ?) Ha Ha

I hope your sister did not put the barrel down into the dirt while you were not watching .

Bye-the-way , if it had been that long since it was shot , why did you warn her the gun was hot ? (or did you mean ready-to-fire type hot?)
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
EDIT .> question , post 12 says you fired it earlier in the day ..........
but post 16 says you had fired it just a couple of minutes B-4 giving it to her , so I'm confused - which is it ?
And what type of round had you fired just before her - slug or shot load ?

Hey guys, thanks for all the support, I was shooting factory (winchester) loaded 2 3/4 slugs with no choke (open choke... not sure of the term here) but I had fired it earlier in the day with no problems. As for bullzeyebill's question Im good with a gun, been shooting for... geez 6-7 years now and put around 500 rounds through the gun... I baby the thing and clean it religiously... Im just wondering how it happened

EDIT it is chambered for up to 3in shells so no problem there

Last edited:

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea it seems like karma finally found its way to my (arm?) house, I made a mess of that situation, and karma made a mess of me.... I think its time for me to put some ice on my cut, Ill be back on the forum in 5

On a serious note though, Im throughly sorry for the trouble Ive caused Greta, hopefully she knows how much I mean that

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Not sure we understand how you've caused trouble to Greta ?

You were not back in 5 , so I went to bed .

Sorry for your experience / be sure it does not get infected !

Patriot

Flashaholic
haha....all these questions throughout the thread and no answers.:whistle:

Oh well, looking at the pictures it's a classic case of an obstructed barrel. Mud in the barrel end typically only causes the tip of the barrel to burst. It looks like it ruptured right near point at which the forcing cone takes on it's final minimum internal diameter not counting the choke of course.

I guess it's up the the OP to diagnose what could have unknowingly entered the tube of he so desires.

P.S. There may be some hidden clues in what appears to be a slightly flattened primer but I'd have to see a high resolution macro picture. The webcam ain't gonna cut it.

Last edited:

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
Hey guys, sorry for the long wait, Ive been back and forth between CPF and BF so to try to get a few things awnsered.

Factory loads
The slug that went boom was the first slug to be fired that day
I was shooting clays before I convinced my sister to shoot the shotty, so field loads were the last thing (that shouldve been) in the barrel
I dont own any 20 ga so theres no way one droped in the chamber and was followed by the slug
The barrel was a 24 in, I havent measured it after the thing came apart