Votes: 3 5.9%
  • 60ma

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Less than 60ma

Votes: 40 78.4%

• Total voters

thefish

Enlightened
Ok guys I am once again working on some driver circuits in my free time. All my drivers are analog controll brightness (i.e. infinite levels), the question I want to know is how low is low enough? My 1Watt FishPill (see sig) went down to 80ma but that is to high I think, so how low do you guys like to see?

With the new Cree XRE's I am thinking we may need like 20ma for a "reading" level.

Last edited:

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
My MillerMods 3-level L0P has 30mA for low and usually it is good but sometimes is too bright (looking at the program in a theatre). I'd say a low of 10mA (or maybe 5mA for a very efficient LED) would be better for a multilevel light. For the 3 levels I have I think 25 or 30mA is about perfect.

Greg

paulr

Flashaholic
2-level light: make low about 10% of high

3-level: low=1%, medium=25%, high=100%.

aceo07

Enlightened
I use the 2nd lowest level of my HDS (seoul) for my lowest. (on the original led, it's rated at 0.12lumens.) In the dark it still projects a nice beam across my room so I can see. It's perfect for reading books in the dark.

My primary is about 8-10lumens. High is probably 40-60lumens. Max is whatever max is. :)

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me, this is exactly the attraction of a light like the HDS or the new Novatac 120P. Having 4 adjustable levels, and being able to set up the light so that I have 2 low levels, one for regular stuff, keyholes etc..... and another for the really low level stuff, like finding something in a dark theater or reading a menu in a dark restaurant without disturbing other folks. That's the kind of flexibility that appeals to me.

I think your poll might have given more useful information if you had started with some really low values and gone up. Like .5%, 1%, 2%, 5% and 10%. Oddly enough, one of the most valuable things I've learned from this forum is that to much light can sometimes be an undesirable thing. Good luck with your new driver.

kanarie

Enlightened
The 5% on a Dexlight X1 for example is too bright to go unnoticed for bystanders

cv3po

Banned
Simple, just carry more than 1 light. I use a white photon with a single 2032 for low level. Clipped to my right beltloop so i don't even have to dig in my pockets. Anything more and i use my lod-ce. with the 2 of them, it covers most uses................. (btw i use 10440's in the lod) :thumbsup:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
L1P low 90ma ≈ 8 lumens is just right, indoors.

Superbright Safelight high 70ma≈ 8 lumens, as above (9v)