My 2xCR123A Blu-ray mod (w/ photos)

ApoXX

Newly Enlightened
I've just completed installing a Blu-ray diode with 7.2-9v ~100mA driver into a gutted Romisen RC-F4 flashlight from DX. It's quite bright with newly charged RCR123A's, 3v primaries can also be used which make the beam considerably dimmer. The reflector assembly unscrews allowing the Aixiz-style module to be collimated. I will post some views of the dot when I have more time.

IMG_4821.jpg

IMG_4814.jpg

IMG_4811.jpg

IMG_4798.jpg

ApoXX

Newly Enlightened

My friend machined me a heatsink/slug which the front section of the Aixiz module is able to screw into (I've also applied a small amount of thermal glue). The driver board was then mounted behind the slug.

The original reflector had to be drilled to match the 12mm module and about 5mm cut off the back to allow it to coexist with the new slug. I scratched up the original orange peel finish so I decided to sand it down and polish it a bit using steel wool.

I imagine one could just epoxy the laser module in place but heat dissipation may become an issue depending on how hard the diode is being driven.

IgorT

Newly Enlightened
The photos are trully amazing!

Nice laser too! ;)

But i fear your driver is out of regulation. Did you use one of Rkcstr's drivers?

The PHR diode at 100mA needs around 5.3V or so. The driver itself needs 2.3V more than that, to keep the current constant. So the minimum voltage required for regulation is ~7.6V. That is above the nominal voltage of two Li-Ions (7.2V). When they are full, they have 4.2V each, so freshly charged they give you 8.4V, or ~8V under load. You then only get to use a tiny part of their capacity - by the time the voltage drops by 0.4V, the current and with it the power start dropping.

If you use two 3V batteries, the driver can't regulate at all, so the diode never gets the required voltage for 100mA to flow, which is why it's dim from primaries....

Last edited:

VillageIdiot

Newly Enlightened
100mA? That's about 90-95mW right? Nice. I like the lens covering the focusing ring, mine is rather smudge-prone. D:

IgorT

Newly Enlightened
100mA? That's about 90-95mW right? Nice. I like the lens covering the focusing ring, mine is rather smudge-prone. D:

Hehe, i thought i sent Stan spare lenses? Didn't he give some to you?

Otherwise, it doesn't really matter now, cos soon you will be able to put in 405nm AR coated glass! Did you see the results? ;)

Latest posts