My biggest beef with all threads on CPF

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, having a small size that is still a good usable brightness is important. 2AA is just two big, while even a single 123A is way too expensive. But FWIW the EDC in my avatar is/was an 8 cell.

TorchMan

Enlightened
My G2 goes in pocket so well, I can forget it's there. Not so with the U2. It bothers me if in pocket, and I have deep pockets, and carry many things. I did used to EDC a Mini Mag or knockoff for years. I received a one cell Tekna dive light and that was even better, being brighter and whiter, but oh man did batteries for it break the bank.

Two cell side by side lights are not bad for pocket carry either. I EDCed a Browning Lightning Bug for many years, though it was clipped to the pocket from inside, rather than just carried loose. I believe those that own the Spy 005 have an awesome two cell pocket light.

CPF really turned me on to one cell, variable brightness lights, and they remain my favorite to this day. Up to a point, smaller is better. Thanks to lights like the Lion Cub/Chameleon, PDIII and Orb Raw and Raw NS, it's possible to carry two or three lights in pocket with ease, maybe even more if you count Phauxtons, etc. Carrying multiple lights gives me a feeling of security, if one doesn't work or runs the batteries low, there's more right there.

Uncle Bob

Enlightened
A one-celled light is not an obsession with me. I EDC a one-celled Gerber IU in my pants pocket because it fits nicely, but I also EDC a two-celled Inova X5 in my jacket pocket. It's just too large for my pants. The combination gives me low or high light with long runtimes and either light becomes a backup. Even so, there are many types of pants that have multiple pockets that could fit almost anything in them. It's just a matter of choice.

:popcorn:

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry Infidel, but I thought this thread was going to be about the recent rash of trolls, baiting/flaming and general sh*t stirring lately....

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lights don't go in my pockets, they go on my waist so this thread doesn't really apply to me however, given the choice, when EDCing, I always prefer to walk with a small, one cell light (AA) instead of something bigger which would tend to draw attention.

Darell

Flashaholic
InfidelCastro said:
Okay, here it is, no bones about it, no ceremony.

The apparent obsession with one cell lights for EDC of many members of CPF.

That's it. That's always my biggest problem while reading the forum.
That is simply awesome! If that's your biggest beef, then we're doing something right! Yay for the home team.

And to the point... I could carry a much larger cell phone. But I choose a smaller one for convenience. I could choose to wear big, heavy shoes. But I don't because of convenience. I also choose to EDC a "smaller than 1x123" light completely because of convenience. Put a 1 or 2 cell light in my front pocket? No way! I don't even like carrying my keys or loose change in my pockets. Drives me nuts. Of course I'm normally wearing bike shorts, so that limits my carrying capacity as well. :) And let's face it - I already scare the ladies as it is.

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
paulr said:
one of my big beefs is CPF'er obsession with perfectly flat regulation, a light that produces an exactly constant amount of lumens until all the battery power is used up, then drops to nothing, so it's impossible to tell the difference between batteries at 95% and batteries at 5%. Much better is the HDS strategy of having the light get dimmer and dimmer as the battery runs down, either in digitally controlled steps (like HDS) or through the normal analog "long tail" effect that results from the exponential brightness-vs-Vf curve of LED's.

I don't understand this either. Getting dimmer lets the user know the batteries
are running down, and it also considerably extends that last little bit of capacity.

It is sometimes possible to get these lights to perform in this fashion without modification.
If a 2x123 A19 XR-E is run on 1 cell, it will fall out of regulation well before
the battery protection shuts it down. Runtime on 1 17670 is over 3x longer
than on 2 RCR123As.

This ought to work with any LED with a reasonable Vf (Lux V need not apply).

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
InfidelCastro said:
Okay, here it is, no bones about it, no ceremony...The apparent obsession with one cell lights for EDC of many members of CPF....That's it. That's always my biggest problem while reading the forum.

I see your point, but it may actually be part of a bigger phenomenon on CPF: the herd mentality.

I've seen way too many threads that go like this:
"Please help a total noob pick a new flashlight. To be used for working on the car, fishing trips on weekends, and around the house for whatever. Want a bright light that will last a while without having to put in new batteries."

50% of replies will be like:
"Hey dude, you need a Fenix P1D-CE. Don't even look at anything else - this light rocks! Crees rule!"

25% of replies will be like:
"I use a Surefire U2 for working on my car - best work light I've ever had. For fishing, I'd go with the Surefire A2 - finest fishing light ever. Get both - you won't regret spending the money once you experience genuine Surefire quality. Don't worry about the cost of batteries, you can order those online. You'll be all set for working on the car and fishing for less than $500."

The remaining 25% of replies, if he's lucky, may actually try to help the poor guy out with picking a decent light for his purposes.

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is that a flashlight in your pocket? or are you just happy to be here?

:)

For EDC in the city single cell is most convenient. I carry a single cell in each pocket and a multi cell in the car. Seems to do me well for EDC, but all of my "real work" lights are multi cell. All depends on your needs.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenlight said:
My biggest beef with CPF are thread titles that are vague and undescriptive.
You said it. I've been hosed too many times by clicking on those threads to let it keep me up at night wondering what I missed.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see that this is a huge issue. If this thread is any indication, most lights are used very little. Hence, one cell provides acceptable runtime and there's no need to carry any more bulk, weight, or inconvenience than a single cell light.

R&D costs just as much for a light that sells 10,000 units as it does for one that only sells 500 units, so I'm not surprised that single cell lights are out first. Largest demographic = more lights sold = more $$$$.

:buddies:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I posted (#15) I got the chance to :sleepy: on it.

Dream:
I discovered CPF and was impressed by all those pictures o Surefires and PDs with their massive industrial strength pocket clips. Then I dreamt AA lights took over the world and the 2AAs stomped their 1AA brethren into the ground. I tried to become king by grabbing a 2AA and attaching it to my pocket. Has anybogy seen a good pocket clip for a Fenix L2P/T/D?

Then I woke up and decided to give my little gray cells some exercise:
1x123A => LuxIII => 75 lumens
2x123A => LuxV => 125 lumens
-----
Let us try that again.
1x123A => Cree XR-E => 135 lumens
2x123A => er..... TBA

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Single cell EDC lights rule for belt & pants pocket carry.
buttrock.gif

Anything over 2 cells is for the coat/jacket/pack IMO.
au.gif

CFU