My Dream HDS/Ra Light + Poll

Would You Buy a AAA Sized Ra Light?

• Total voters

TRITON

Newly Enlightened
I voted yes, but then thought well I would much rather have a AAA zebra sc50 xpg in cool white instead.

I'm sure both of them would be built realy well and do a great job.:)

kaptain_zero

Enlightened
I didn't vote.... the poll appears to be biased, as has already been pointed out.

Would I buy an HDS AAA light if Henry made one for sale? Hell yes!

Do I think Henry should make an AAA powered light for sale under the HDS brand? Hell no!

Do I think Henry should make an AAA light at all? Only if he is bored and has nothing better to do! :devil:

AAA powered lights do not fit well with the HDS Brand/Image/Performance Promise as far as I am concerned.

Regards

Christian

nbp

Flashaholic
I voted yes cuz I would basically buy anything that man made. If HDS came out with chewing gum, I'd chew it. If he designed a toaster, I'd start eating toast. I don't think Henry puts anything up for sale unless he thinks it's the best, and I've found that to be true in his products.

paulr

Flashaholic
I'd be kind of intrigued by it but it's hard for me to say I'd likely buy one. HDS lights are after brute strength and are quite a bit bigger/heavier than the ultra-compact 1x123 lights. Using an AAA cell doesn't combine that well with that idea. An 1AA would make a lot more sense and be pretty attractive. It could look about like the old Arc LS with the 1AA pack. I think it would even be a reasonable fit for HDS's philosophy and technology. In particular the light could figure out what type of AA you put in it, from garbage carbon-zinc cells, to alkalines, L91's, 14500's, NiMH, etc. Then it could set itself up for optimal performance with that cell.

paulr

Flashaholic
Just as I had voted for an AA option in Kaichu Dento's Slimeline RA thread, another yes for me as I prefer lights using easily accessible and affordable batteries like AAA and AA, a great option for world travelers IMO.

Note HDS did mention a 2AA pack in the works some time ago. I have vague memory of only a few of them being shipped. Maybe I'm wrong since I haven't been keeping track. It's not on the Ra site now, so I don't know what happened to it.

Tally-ho

Banned
AAA capacity is very low.

IMHO, it is nice for a keychain EDC that is generally used for very short time, so i don't see any interest to make a sophisticated flashlight for a type of flashlight in which i have very, very few expectations.
There is tons of competitors that already perform this simple task: giving light during 2 to 30 seconds, no matter the tint, the beam quality and UI.

Now for a pocket EDC that i use for more than 1 minute, i need something like a Ra clicky high CRI.

I voted "no" but it doesn't mean that i consider it as a terrible idea because if HDS has time to explore the AAA way...why not, but concerning myself i prefer that HDS follow prioritary the "brighter (high CRI)" or/and the "higher capacity" way instead to the contrary.

PS: I don't like a pocket EDC that is too long. One using 16340 is perfect (it is not that much complicated to carry spare batteries). For a 18650 flashlight, i expect something with a larger reflector (than the actual one) to improve throw.
PSS: Why not a D26 or D36 (high CRI prefered) drop-in module with programmable UI ? Most of those modules are using half click to cycle through different modes to select the one you need...it's probably time to offer something better.

Last edited: