My even LEANER flashlight inventory

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Onyx - Def Leppard
smile.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
KT,

Your insightful and entertaining post had meaning for me beyond flashlights and my diminishing obsession with them. The birth and eventual death of an interest, a passion, an involvement. That's the primary meaning your post had for me, and that's why I felt a brief sadness when I read it.

It reminded me to take a clear, honest look at myself in several areas, including flashlight purchases. I too am gradually narrowing down my collection by asking myself what I actually need lights for and which ones best fulfill those needs.

I agree that incremental evolution is the rule, rather than revolutionary breakthroughs which can occur only when we breech currant limitations of battery capacity and lamp efficiency, or somehow work within them in an innovative way.

I carry lights for utility and emergency so there must be a combination of long burning (like your Inova) and very bright (your Taclite). Runtime doesn't seem to be much of a priority in CPF, but it is very important to me. Since there is no small really bright light with extended runtime, the only way around that is to carry at least two lights, one of them being LED, though a 4AA like the UK Q40, or 4AA might be a compromise with a 5hr+ runtime on lithiums.

For me, the most impressive recently introduced light is the Tigerlight. Even without the OC option, the FBOP is unique. It is the only commercially produced light that combines a very bright light with a one hour steady output in a relatively small, relatively light standard flashligfht configuration. Randy Teig has worked with available technology and created something that did not exist before. On top of that, the light is highly functional in a professional environment.

KT's was the only voice I heard asking Surefire to produce such a light. They didn't and now Tigerlight is here. Surefire's A2 shows considerable promise, but is not yet available.

IMO, true innovation, especially functionally superior innovation will continue to be intriguing and perhaps exciting even to the jaded Flashaholic.

(EDIT) Perhaps I should have mentioned my great respect for innovators like Peter Gransee, and even Surefire for their recent foray into the world of LEDS, not to mention our intrepid modders who are trying to push that all too stubborn envelope.

I certainly didn't intend to neglect them, but they can only work with available materials, and until lamp efficiency increases significantly they are limited, no matter how great their creative brilliance may be.

Brightnorm

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well written guys. We (americans) have too much clutter in our garages and in our lives in general. I do not subscribe to the motto of "buy them both". Maybe just one or neither will be the best tool for the job?

I will remain passionate though about whatever period of projects I am involved in. I will also remain passionate about flashlights and the pursuit of a beautiful illumination tool. This pursuit does not require reckless abandon on what I carry with me or buy but only on what I look at and understand.

The ancient Greeks taught about moderation in everything. But shouldn't we be moderate with evil and passionate towards good? And what is good?

Exercise no moderation in the pursuit of wisdom because wisdom will guide all other pursuits. "But with much wisdom comes much sadness". So sobriety affects all.

Of course we all know that there are more important things than flashlights. That is why I and others look for a light that does the job well and does little to complicate the situation further.

I hope to see you all at the SHOT Show!

Peter

KnightStar

Newly Enlightened
WOW!!!
At the point I am reading this topic:
It has begun with a post from KT whose number of flashlights OWNED has been reduced,
and it has ended with a post from Peter Gransee whose number of flashlights MANUFACTURED has been reduced.
Hmmmmm....
Steve