My first Mod! (So Easy LS headlamp)

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recieved a Luxeon Star today, with the intent of putting it in a coleman kids lamp.

Well I couldn't wait and i had a 2AA battery box laying around. I wanted to see if it worked and which side was + and which was neg.
So I went ahead an soldered it together and then stuck the LS on the end with double stick tape. Didn't use a resistor since its only 2AA. I dont have a picture. But image the box below with a LS w optics taped to one end an a switch sticking out the side.
grin.gif

Wow this was so easy and fun I recommend it to anyone.
27-408.jpg

After I test it out tonight I will insert it into the kids lamp or possible a Blackdiamond 3AA headlamp (w/ a resistor).

signals

Newly Enlightened
Hey, that was almost exactly the first flashlight I made with a LS. I even used the same Radio Shack battery box. Electrical tape to hold it together. It looked like something the Electrician on "News Radio" would've made.

I've since destroyed that flashlight, and put the LS into a Mini MagLite, with a DC-DC step up board dat2zip made for me. It's an awesome flashlight. Hopefully I'll get some pictures up someday.

BTW, the solder pad with the dot next to it is the positive terminal. It took me a little while to figure that out from the datasheet too.

Have fun!

-Kevin

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Where do you get the LS? Is there a special one that fits in a MiniMag? If so, which one?
Thought I'd try the MiniMag/LS mod without the controller.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
i think they all fit inside the 2aa mag.....they're pretty small even with the optics.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Long threads about Mag & LS under the Zetek name or ZLT+ - including links to webpages describing things in pretty much every detail - you have to file down the heatsink to make it fit

Klaus

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cave dave:
[QB]I recieved a Luxeon Star today, with the intent of putting it in a coleman kids lamp.

Well I couldn't wait and i had a 2AA battery box laying around. I wanted to see if it worked and which side was + and which was neg.
So I went ahead an soldered it together and then stuck the LS on the end with double stick tape. Didn't use a resistor since its only 2AA. I dont have a picture. But image the box below with a LS w optics taped to one end an a switch sticking out the side.
grin.gif

Wow this was so easy and fun I recommend it to anyone.
[QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, another modder joins the fold; won't be long now till he's cutting up everything in sight to stick a Luxeon in it. Nice first mod, makes for some easy gradification and a nice light too. Let us know how the coleman kids lamp turns out.....

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mod is complete! I took apart my project box and inserted the LS into a Wenzel headlamp. It looks just like the Ray-O-Vac AdventureLite Kids Headlamp except the housing is Yellow and not translucent. I even cut out the reflector with a dremal and Xacto knife. The reflector was the hardest part, and I think I like the look better without the reflector because it says "Hey look I made this!"

Total time less than one hour. 1/2 looking for all the parts (soldering iron, wire, dremal etc) and 1/2 putting together while watching Sinefeld.
smile.gif

here are the links to help you: http://thelightsite.cruxial.com/mods/adventureLite_headlamp_mod.htm
and

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=001278
Dscf0047%20copy.jpg

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lambda:
Ah, another modder joins the fold; won't be long now till he's cutting up everything in sight to stick a Luxeon in it. Nice first mod, makes for some easy gradification and a nice light too. Let us know how the coleman kids lamp turns out.....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bwah ha ha ha!! He's right! Soon you'll have piles of pieces of flashlights here and there. You'll bore people around you stiff, talking about your latest mods. You'll find family members wearing dark sunglasses around the house for self protection. And blah blah blah . . . .. .

Wayne www.elektrolumens.com
grin.gif
shocked.gif

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to thank everyone at CPF who posted about this mod and provided easy instructions to do it.

For everyone else, what are you waiting for? This has to be the easiest mod on the planet. I would like to stress that if I can do this anyone can.