My new PM 1127VF lathe!

mototraxtech

Newly Enlightened
Re: Should I, PM1127?

I have tried to respond to a few threads but it did never post? So I'll try it this way. :ohgeez:
I am looking to upgrade equipment from a 3in1 (don't ask :shakehead) to possibly a PM1127VF or a PM1236. and a small mill maybe PM25V
I know Mototrax has one and stopped writing about it, someone here got the 1127V and a few others almost got one and changed their mind for the 1236. :confused:

Mototrax please tell me what you think about your machine now and any one else who has experience with this machine.
For those that changed their minds, what made you pick this one in the first place :wave: Since I think I know why you picked the bigger one :hitit:
Love these smilies :party:

I have been lurking here for a while and although I do no flashlights I'm learning lots.
Thanks, Regards, Ed

Sorry I haven't been on in awhile. I have been really busy with school, work, and I am trying to start a business. As far as the lathe goes I haven't been able to use it for about three weeks as I stripped out the threads that hold the quick change post on. It was tapped directly into the cross slide with about 5 threads is all into cast iron. So I called up qualitymachinetools and they said to send it back and the would fix it free. So after all was said and done I have I just got it back and put it on tonight. The fix is great though and adds about 3 threads more of steel as well if I strip it out again it will be easier to fix.

As far as the machine goes I have made a nice amount of chips and it has been great. SOOOO quiet even running it in my house. After I leveled it and then aligned the tail stock it can do some good and fairly accurate cuts. Don't know what you want to cut but I mostly cut aluminum and a little stainless steal and it has been a champ. I also cut some large plastic drivers and it did a good job as well.

I'm not sure what else to tell you other than it has been great but I haven't been able to use it in awhile. Defiantly worth in and and completely happy with it. Matt has been great and helped me out a lot and to me is the best part.

If there is anything in specific you want to know just ask. Now that it is working again I will be browsing the forums a little more.

The only problem so far is that it is starting to leak oil. It is all on the chip pan so no mess or anything I just don't like things to leak. For the most part I think better seals and new sealant around the oil glass will fix them. Not a big deal as its only a few drops a day its just annoying.

WOW I didn't realize its been over a month since I last post. I really must be busy!

mototraxtech

Newly Enlightened
I finally got my cut off blades so when I use them I will tell you how they work. Other than that not much going on with it here.

Oh and did get a shop vac and must say that it is the only way to clean up chips. It makes it a couple minute job as opposed to a half hour.

I might post some pics of the new bushing they put in the cross slide if someone wants me too. Its not very noticeable but you will get an idea of what they did to it. As for they guy who asked about the change gear pics they now have them on the website so you can see them there if you haven't already found them.

mototraxtech

Newly Enlightened
Tell us what you've been doing with it please. :thumbsup:

To be honest not a lot as it has been down for awhile and I am currently redo my CAD for my project to make it more consistent and didn't want to have to remake any parts that might change. I do how a lot of aluminum though for when I finish the CAD.

Oh and I did make some nice radiator shroud spacers for my KTM. I couldn't get the darn things and they cost $5 a piece and I needed two. They are also only about the size of a dime with a high and low spot. So I made some myself that were much higher quality and a little beefier.

Some other things include:

Narrowing steel sprocket to fit 520 chain
Narrowing nylon sprocket to fit 520 chain
Facing a 8 inch PPD drive sprocket
A bunch of round spacings
Ive also drilled some holes with the drill press attachment

vancroft

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Randy for the update.
I'm anxciously waiting for the lathe and the mill I ordered from Matt and it is nice to hear that you're happy with it.
Do you know why the QCTP threads stripped? :faint:
maybe something I should look at before I start using it.
I am on the "road" right now but when I get home I'll come up with some more questions. :confused:

Regards, Ed :wave:

mototraxtech

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Randy for the update.
I'm anxciously waiting for the lathe and the mill I ordered from Matt and it is nice to hear that you're happy with it.
Do you know why the QCTP threads stripped? :faint:
maybe something I should look at before I start using it.
I am on the "road" right now but when I get home I'll come up with some more questions. :confused:

Regards, Ed :wave:

Yes, they stripped because there were only 5 or so threads into the cross slide. I torqued it to much(which I have a habit of) and pulled them out quite cleanly. He said the new one have fixed this so maybe yours in one of them. I actually have got to use it a quite a bit in the last week and have been able to product some aluminum parts with a thousands tolerance. My caliper only goes to 0.000 and all of those number were what I wanted. Most of all its a lot of fun and cut a lot of chips.

Let me know about that mill when you get it set up. I am interested in that as well. Which size did you get?

vancroft

Newly Enlightened
Just got back from my trip, I had just sold my 3in1 before I left, boy does the shop look empty still 4/6 weeks before I expect the new machines.
The mill I picked is the PM25mv, should be nice, I had a quick glance in Holland at both the lathe and the mill from a dutch importer, they look pretty good I'm exited.
I'll let you know when they're here.
Ed

vancroft

Newly Enlightened
Randy,
I'm still waiting for the machines and can't help but doing more research while waiting and I have met a bunch of guys online in the same predicament as me, so from one thing came another and I started a new Yahoo group for "Blue Machines" meaning the Precission Mathews, Weiss and Optimum/Quantum line.

So far there are 8 members and I'm looking through all the forums I can find to invite anyone who even mentioned a PM or Weiss machine, there's more then I would have thought.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bluemachining/

We'd love for you to visit and share your experience and of coarse anyone who is interested in these machines is welcome.

Regards, Ed

mototraxtech

Newly Enlightened
I joined your group but dont know if Ill use it much as I dont really use yahoo but Ill check in from time to time. Not much time to work with the lathe as finals are coming up and I just bought a new dirtbike so Im a little broke meaning the new Mitu calipers are going to have to wait for a few months and most of the things I need to make I need a micrometer as the digital caliper just isnt working out.

The good news is after being on these forums I have learned that ebay can be your friend and just bought a 2010 ktm 450sxf off there for $6100 and it retails for $8000 if you can find one. Also the bike only had an hour on it so it isnt hardly broke in yet. Very excited about the new purchase. I know its not a tool but it is a machines so I think its in the right forum. :naughty:

vancroft

Newly Enlightened
I joined your group but dont know if Ill use it much as I dont really use yahoo but Ill check in from time to time. Not much time to work with the lathe as finals are coming up and I just bought a new dirtbike so Im a little broke meaning the new Mitu calipers are going to have to wait for a few months and most of the things I need to make I need a micrometer as the digital caliper just isnt working out.

The good news is after being on these forums I have learned that ebay can be your friend and just bought a 2010 ktm 450sxf off there for $6100 and it retails for $8000 if you can find one. Also the bike only had an hour on it so it isnt hardly broke in yet. Very excited about the new purchase. I know its not a tool but it is a machines so I think its in the right forum. :naughty:

As long as you got your priorities right :thumbsup: Sounds like you got a great deal on the bike and at least if you break something you can now make your own parts (well after you save up for that caliper :whistle:)

Hope you do well on the exams and see you around this or that forum :)

regards, Ed