My RRT III is here.

siggy

Newly Enlightened
I can't wait till it gets dark.
So, I'm looking at all the threads about batteries and chargers and it's making my head hurt.
Currently I'm using Tennergy batteries in my two Fenix TA 21's (which I absolutely love) and a travel charger to charge them. That's what Amazon had available at the time I ordered the flashlights. I've got about eight of these batteries and have yet to have a problem. They get alot of use during camping season since the light I have here at home is my camping light. I've got the light diffuser for it to make it my lantern.
I forgot I had one on charge at work and left it until the next day without a problem. The batteries say they are protected on the side of the battery. My charger light goes from red to green when it's done.
Am I missing something? I don't have voltage meters or any other measuring devices to check for overcharging.
I don't care if the batteries go "poof" because they're cheap but don't want to mess up my new light.
If this post should have been posted in another forum....sorry....remember I'm fairly new, so don't beat me up too bad.

Last edited:

uknewbie

Banned
If you are looking for 18650 cells I would go with protected AW ones. As for charger the Ultrafire WF-139 is a dual, or the Xstar model does 6 at a time. I have both and have never had any problems.

That is a nice light you have bought btw...

mrlysle

Enlightened
It really would be a good idea to pick yourself up an inexpensive DMM (digital multi meter) than can measure low DC voltages. ( a scale that goes 0-5v will be more accurate than a scale from 0-50v for example) Then always check the voltage of your cells, after you remove them from the light, and definitely after removing them from the charger. You shouldn't let your cells get charged to over 4.2 volts. Some chargers continue to "trickle charge" after the charge process has terminated (after the light goes to green). If you leave them on the charger any longer, they will end up being overcharged which could result in problems down the road, not to mention much shorter cell life. You don't have to have a "professional grade" DMM, but one that is at least consistent and reasonably accurate. Grats on your new light! And
:welcome:

siggy

Newly Enlightened
Is there anyplace more preferred to get the batteries and charger from? I've looked at a few but you guys know more about this than I do.