NASA Space Shuttle Flashlight

Mr. Zenon

Newly Enlightened
In anticipation of the launch of Discovery STS-121 on Saturday (7/1/2006), I was wondering about the flashlight on-board the Shuttle.

This is what I found from NASA's website:
http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/technology/sts-newsref/sts_egress.html#sts_sightaids

"The spotlight is a high-intensity, hand-held flashlight powered by a battery pack consisting of five 1.2-volt one-half D size nickel-cadmium batteries. The spotlight produces a 20,000-candlepower output with a continuous running time of 1.5 hours. The lamp is a 6-volt tungsten filament and cannot be replaced in flight. A spare battery pack is available on board."

Does anyone know anything about this flashlight?

Shaocaholica

Enlightened
If its NASA, its probably custom made either in house or contracted. If you find the plans, you can make one yourself but I doubt you could buy one.

baylisstic

Enlightened
Sounds like a magcharger.

"The spotlight is a high-intensity, hand-held flashlight powered by a battery pack consisting of five 1.2-volt one-half D size nickel-cadmium batteries. The spotlight produces a 20,000-candlepower output with a continuous running time of 1.5 hours. The lamp is a 6-volt tungsten filament and cannot be replaced in flight. A spare battery pack is available on board."

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
mossyoak said:
...come on get into the 21st century and use lithiums and luxeons...
I bet they're real touchy about safety which I'm guessing leaves out lithiums and li-ions. I think NASA requires "5 nines" of reliability and maybe more for safety in the shake and bake environment of spacecraft.

Batteries are probably replaced every flight so ni-cad memory isn't a problem. It also probably took so much effort to certify this flashlight as spaceworthy that they don't want to certify a new design unless there is something specifically lacking in the current design.

You haven't lived until you've lived through a full up mil-spec certification test and I imagine NASA's are worse.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back when I was a gov't contractor, NASA bought tons and tons of Kohler BrightStar lights. Doubt they're certified for use in space vehicles! (Well, space vehicles that are actually in space! Prolly okay in the repair bay!)

gdict

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like a StreamLight SL20 or SL20P. They have always been marketed as 20K candlepower. I think MAG claims 35K for the MagCharger. It doesn't seem unrealistic for a high quality off the shelf light to be used in space. The StreamLight has also been around a long time, "almost" as long as the shuttle itself.

Cheers!

Greg

Mr. Zenon

Newly Enlightened
gdict said:
Sounds like a StreamLight SL20 or SL20P. They have always been marketed as 20K candlepower. I think MAG claims 35K for the MagCharger. It doesn't seem unrealistic for a high quality off the shelf light to be used in space. The StreamLight has also been around a long time, "almost" as long as the shuttle itself.

Cheers!

Greg

Wouldn't the light need to work in zero atmosphere and zero-G in the event of decompression or for use outside? I doubt an off da shelf light could be certified. It also noted that the bulb can not be replaced in-flight. Me thinks its a custom job and spaceproof.

Probably cost $100k+.

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
An LED solution would seem more reliable (longer running too) to me, but then again maybe there other considerations that I'm not aware of. Radiation? Colour temperature?

Maybe it is spaceproof...?

Mr. Zenon

Newly Enlightened
NASA's Spaceproof EVA flashlights (PICTS)

Ha!

I got the answer from digging deep in NASA's site.
http://msis.jsc.nasa.gov/sections/section14.htm#_14.6_EVA_TOOLS,

Here you go. And yes these are "Spaceproof".

Knowing that these are indeed custom manufactured lights, I'm pretty sure that it would cost a fortune to aquire one. How cool would it be to own a Spaceproof flashlight?

http://msis.jsc.nasa.gov/images/Section14/Image371.gif

Technical Information
Part number : 10161-10061-04
Weight: 2.27 kb (5 lb) (without main batteries)
2.67 kb (5.88 lb) (with main batteries)
Quantity flown: Two in the middeck Volume H locker
Main power supply: Two independent battery modules (one per side)
Main batteries: D-size lithium bromine complex (3.5 V, 8 A-hr each)
Battery life: 3 hr 0min with four lamps operating
Voltage: Open circuit 3.77 ± 0.2 V dc
Loaded: 3.25 V dc
Lamps: Two halogen lamps per side (2.5 W each)
Lamp intensity: 215 LUX (20 ft-c (min)) per lamp at 91 cm (3 ft)
Lamp life: 20 hr
Lighting pattern: 41 cm by 61 cm (16 in by 24 in at 2 ft) (four lamps on pointed forward)
Operation: Momentary switch activated sequencing circuit on each side
Sequencer power supply: Four watch batteries in series per side
Sequencer battery: Silver oxide (1.5 V Duracell, 38 mA-hr)
Thermal protection: 71 deg C ± 2 deg (160 deg F ± 5 deg) thermostats and mutilayer insulation
Structural F S 1.4
Dimensional data
A 22.38 cm
(8.81 in)
B 11.84 cm
(4.66 in)
C 19.71 cm
(7.76 in)
D 39.42 cm
(15.52 in)
E 50.24 cm
(19.78 in)
F 10.92 cm
(4.3 in)
G 4.78 cm
(1.88 in)
Reference: 145, p. E-11; NASA-STD-3000 318

A second example of portable lighting is the EVA flashlight, shown in Figure 14.4.4.1-2. The light is mounted on a flexible neck and a mirror is provided to further aid visibility into inaccessible areas.

http://msis.jsc.nasa.gov/images/Section14/Image372.gif

Technical Information
Part number 10172-20561-02
Weight 0.13 kg (0.26 lb)
Battery Two AA alkaline wrapped with Teflon and Kapton, 1.5 V each
Battery life 2 yr
Lamp Standard flashlight bulb
Operation Rotate bulb housing
Quantity flown One for STS 41-G, 51-A, 51-I
Stowage Middeck locker
Dimensional data
A 30 cm
(12 in) true length
B 3.56 cm
(1.40 in)

Last edited by a moderator:

metalhed

Enlightened
What I want to know is, 'What company won the contract to produce these?'

I'm curious as to whether or not it is one of the major flashlight manufacturers, as opposed to a military contract specialty manufacturer. :thinking:

msnyder

Newly Enlightened
Mr. Zenon said:
In anticipation of the launch of Discovery STS-121 on Saturday (7/1/2006), I was wondering about the flashlight on-board the Shuttle.

This is what I found from NASA's website:
http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/technology/sts-newsref/sts_egress.html#sts_sightaids

Does anyone know anything about this flashlight?

Five one-half D cells? Have you ever heard of anything that ran on
five one-half D cells? Heck, have you ever heard of anything that ran
on one-half D cells at all?

Hmm... five times 1.2 is 6 volts exactly. Probably designed to spec.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
msnyder,

Yes, there are only about a million rechargeable flashlights out there that run on 5 1/2D NiCad cells. They are called MagChargers or SL20's.

The first made by, you guessed it, Maglite. The second made by Streamlight, (SL, get it?)

Sounds to me like a MagCharger or SL20 that has been customized to fit the environment. Seal the head, use some kind of non glass window.

The problem is NiCads don't work so well in COLD environments, so being in the shade would not be so great if you were trying to use it outside the vehicle, but then, I doubt they carry a handheld light out there anyway.

Bill

msnyder

Newly Enlightened
bwaites said:
msnyder,

Yes, there are only about a million rechargeable flashlights out there that run on 5 1/2D NiCad cells. They are called MagChargers or SL20's.

The first made by, you guessed it, Maglite. The second made by Streamlight, (SL, get it?)

Oh. Well... who knew? Ahem. Everybody but me, I guess... ;-)

Sgaterboy

Newly Enlightened
I'd kinda like to have a space-proof flashlight. I mean, you never really know when the Ozone layer is gonna go kaput and all our atmosphere will leak away. better to be prepared for ANYTHING.:sold:

Illum

Flashaholic
mossyoak said:
sounds like crap
come on get into the 21st century and use lithiums and luxeons

Easy now..

first, NASA can't risk lithiums catching fire in space..where the oxygen level within the soda can is higher than the atmosphere we normally breathe
second, Luxeons are good source of flood but when compared to xenon incans...their not much of a thrower...

this bothers me...if the incan lights are to be used in space...how thick should the bulb be?

Grox said:
Maybe it is spaceproof...?

LED lights or incans do not require an atmosphere to operate, they do, in fact, require a medium for light to pass through, and perhaps dissapate heat??? :confused:

amanichen

Enlightened
Illum_the_nation said:
LED lights or incans do not require an atmosphere to operate, they do, in fact, require a medium for light to pass through, and perhaps dissapate heat??? :confused:
Light passes quite well through empty space...

Heat is always radiated away, but on Earth we rely on convection (moving fluid) and conduction (particle to particle) to air as well.

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sgaterboy said:
I'd kinda like to have a space-proof flashlight. I mean, you never really know when the Ozone layer is gonna go kaput and all our atmosphere will leak away. better to be prepared for ANYTHING.:sold:

Errr, from your tone I hope you are joking, knowing that the atmosphere is not held in place by the ozone layer. Drop me a PM if you aren't joking....

Yes, having a flashlight you know can work both in space and under water would be great, but I would not like it to be built around 40 year old technoligy just because NASA says so.