Nearly half of U.S. households use LED bulbs for all or most of their indoor lighting

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
History repeats itself, first it was steam engine, then horseless carriage, then steam locomotives, then lagre cars with 7-8L engines, then vinyl records vs reels, tube amplifiers vs transistor ones, now incandescent bulbs. in each case there were quite a few people convinced the old tech is better and we should keep it.

bridgman

Enlightened
I'm still in the "from my cold dead hands" school. Like many people here I live in an area where any time we are using lighting the heating is also running, so any energy savings from lighting change will just have to be made up by some other energy source.

I do run a couple of LED bulbs in lights that stay on for long times (eg the kitchen light stays on overnight) but that is more for longevity than for energy savings. I also have a couple of LED work lights I use outdoors, although they primarily provide a lazy-man alternative to naptha or kerosene pressure lamps rather than incandescent bulbs.

Bottom line is that I don't buy the energy savings argument, particularly in an area where the federal government is trying to get us to stop using fossil fuels. Saving $225 a year powering lights is meaningless if I just have to spend $225 to power the electric heater instead.

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
History repeats itself, first it was steam engine, then horseless carriage, then steam locomotives, then lagre cars with 7-8L engines, then vinyl records vs reels, tube amplifiers vs transistor ones, now incandescent bulbs. in each case there were quite a few people convinced the old tech is better and we should keep it.
With the tremendous popularity still held by many with vinyl records and tube amplifiers your analogies show how difficult it can be to disparage any previous technology.

More often than not, it's a case-by-case algorithm, yet the 'newer is always better' advocates will never cease to point out that the airplane is better, which is why no one travels by boat or car anymore, the rifle is better than the arrow, which is why archery is all but extinct and that movies are better than theater, which is why no one ever goes to plays anymore.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^ Sure, vinyl and tube amplifiers still hold tremendous popularity,,,,,,,,,,,, between few tens of thousands people in the world, :crackup:

Do not compare a plane to a car, compare piston biplanes to jets, compare old cars to new cars, of course newer is better, in almost every case. new cars are more comfortable, efficient, safer, new planes are faster and can go farther. I do agree there is a traditions concept, that is why we still have archery sport and hunting. btw compare modern hunting bow, or a cross bow to an old one, new ones definitely win,

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
^^ Sure, vinyl and tube amplifiers still hold tremendous popularity,,,,,,,,,,,, between few tens of thousands people in the world,
...says the lonely keyboard warrior!

You really have no idea what you're talking about concerning the resurgence of sales in both records and turntables, not to mention the fact that the continued popularity of tube amplifiers.

hamhanded

Enlightened

You really have no idea what you're talking about concerning the resurgence of sales in both records and turntables, not to mention the fact that the continued popularity of tube amplifiers.
I'm sure overall vinyl sales are not what they used to be but there are a lot of artists releasing new work on vinyl and streaming/download only, completely skipping CD

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vinyl and tube amplifiers, of cause, are silly & outdated. My preference for halogen lighting on the other hand, is obviously justified & perfectly Logical, so is my choice of wearing 50s style suits, which are objectively superior to any kind of modern clothing. Only a lowly buffoon would dare disagree.
Pepe cheers.png

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast

LMAO, Don't project your insecurities on me, i'm many things but definitely not lonely. Feel free to prove me wrong, post numbers of solid state amps. sold vs tube amps. sold, in last few years.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
We have exactly two incandescent bulbs still running in our household - one in the microwave and the other in the freezer side of the fridge. I replaced the incandescent in the fridge side of the fridge with an LED appliance bulb a couple of months ago. Will eventually do the same on the freezer side. I'm not sure that an LED bulb will hold up in a microwave oven though.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
LMAO, Don't project your insecurities on me, i'm many things but definitely not lonely. Feel free to prove me wrong, post numbers of solid state amps. sold vs tube amps. sold, in last few years.
Your insecurities were verified the moment you chose to read it that way dude. Of course you live life looking for the negative in everything, so found it in a statement that your opinion was simply one among many.

Prove yourself right, you're the one who made the ridiculous statements in the first place and now are trying to suggest that higher sales numbers indicates reason for discontinuation of products that sell less.

In your tunnel-vision logic Rolex and Rolls Royce should both cease production and millions of guitar players are wrong because some internet know-nothing says so.

turbodog

Flashaholic
We have exactly two incandescent bulbs still running in our household - one in the microwave and the other in the freezer side of the fridge. I replaced the incandescent in the fridge side of the fridge with an LED appliance bulb a couple of months ago. Will eventually do the same on the freezer side. I'm not sure that an LED bulb will hold up in a microwave oven though.
No oven?

turbodog

Flashaholic
Also... the bulb inside your clothes dryer is usually incan. Go check... probably burned out so long ago you aren't aware you had one in there.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your insecurities were verified the moment you chose to read it that way dude. Of course you live life looking for the negative in everything, so found it in a statement that your opinion was simply one among many.

Prove yourself right, you're the one who made the ridiculous statements in the first place and now are trying to suggest that higher sales numbers indicates reason for discontinuation of products that sell less.

In your tunnel-vision logic Rolex and Rolls Royce should both cease production and millions of guitar players are wrong because some internet know-nothing says so.
LMAO. still projecting? you just proved me right in more ways than 1.
1 you just admitted sold state amps outsell tubes, which means they are more popular. my point exactly. If you argued that tubes are no worse or in some ways better than SS you would have a valid point, but you went totally different route,
2 you showed that fanboys are aggressive individuals who do not even care to understand another side, before attacking,
3 your comparisons are complete trash. there is nothing in common between rolex and RR, and comparing old technology vs new. Does not look like you even care to find proper comparison to make a valid point. something a triggered fanboy would do. In my other hobby they are called sad ham,

so go ahead show me what else you got, humor me,.

Last edited:

hamhanded

Enlightened
Can we go back to just talking about little coiled wires that get hot vs dishes of electrons that like to jiggle?

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can we go back to just talking about little coiled wires that get hot vs dishes of electrons that like to jiggle?
One thing i'm sure of LEDs will never replace those redish headlamps. Those are wonderful things, Walk into a cold bathroom flip a switch and you get instant heat.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still in the "from my cold dead hands" school. Like many people here I live in an area where any time we are using lighting the heating is also running, so any energy savings from lighting change will just have to be made up by some other energy source.

I do run a couple of LED bulbs in lights that stay on for long times (eg the kitchen light stays on overnight) but that is more for longevity than for energy savings. I also have a couple of LED work lights I use outdoors, although they primarily provide a lazy-man alternative to naptha or kerosene pressure lamps rather than incandescent bulbs.

Bottom line is that I don't buy the energy savings argument, particularly in an area where the federal government is trying to get us to stop using fossil fuels. Saving $225 a year powering lights is meaningless if I just have to spend $225 to power the electric heater instead.
+

Consider some filament LED bulbs to use in the summer, this will lengthen the lifespan for your heating incandescents for winter.