Need help removing anodizing...

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I have recently acquired a coupe NOS LeeF bodies however the HA one has not been cleaned of the ano where the electrical contacts will be made.

Here are some pics comparing the two, the black one is perfect and the HA one is the one in question.

I have a Dremel with plenty of attachments but obviously don't want to damage anything.

Where do I start, with a cloth pointed head and some metal polish maybe. I have some Flitz that I have used on some Glock parts. Would that be ok?

Please help, thanks in advance.

4fd3ce0dedcd2fac63c665a3d2e13fc1.jpg

20e5919d3dcf814309298ae89699e548.jpg

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
the end of the battery tube is easy, put some 220 grit sandpaper on a flat surface, and rotate the body until you have a clean surface. For the inside head part, how about a wooden rod the exact diameter of the flat, with the same sandpaper glued onto the end?

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
With only working on two lights, going chemical stripper isn't cost effective.

Mechanical abrasion is the way to go.

Using a piece of 320-400 silicone carbide wet/dry sandpaper on a flat surface, wet the paper and draw the light body back and forth two or three strokes, rotate the body 90 degrees, then stroke again two or three times, rotate and repeat.

The internal contact area, a notched wood dowel the outside diameter of the Leef body internal bore and the shelf area the outside diameter of the flat area. Place the sandpaper over the dowel and rotate to remove the anodized surface. Check for continuity with a multimeter.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curious ... were these like this originally, or did you have raw hosts anodized yourself (without masking) ?

I was told they were NOS LeeF bodies so I assume they were anodized by Lee.

I do have two raw LeeF bodies I would like to get anodized or cerakoted if you can make a recommendation.

the end of the battery tube is easy, put some 220 grit sandpaper on a flat surface, and rotate the body until you have a clean surface. For the inside head part, how about a wooden rod the exact diameter of the flat, with the same sandpaper glued onto the end?

Thanks, I was thinking that might be the trick. Just wasn't sure what grit to start with.

With only working on two lights, going chemical stripper isn't cost effective.

Mechanical abrasion is the way to go.

Using a piece of 320-400 silicone carbide wet/dry sandpaper on a flat surface, wet the paper and draw the light body back and forth two or three strokes, rotate the body 90 degrees, then stroke again two or three times, rotate and repeat.

The internal contact area, a notched wood dowel the outside diameter of the Leef body internal bore and the shelf area the outside diameter of the flat area. Place the sandpaper over the dowel and rotate to remove the anodized surface. Check for continuity with a multimeter.

Thanks for the instructions and tips!

Looks like I get to go to the hardware for a dowel, and some sandpaper.

Last edited:

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have now looked at my other HA bodies and they seem to be all about the same differentiation. Two seem darker, two seem lighter.

6eaa0da3c06d6bf2ad256afe905a1cf3.jpg

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks bud, appreciate that.

Oh man, is that a single 18650 body?

I want one as that's a size I don't have, "yet"

I have a well worn 2x18500 that I use to run my P91 bulbs in,

Just scored two raw aluminum 2x18650 but am not sure what I'm going to turn them into.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it's an 18650 body meant for a Leef 27lt, I just modified it to accept a P60 dropin

From Leef
qTAl8N.jpg

From me, custom adapter. The one below I sold
VEvJZb.jpg

This is the one I've kept, with a Fivemega head and RPM trit tail
Ku9PMc.jpg

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love it man!

I don't make any of my own stuff but that is awesome.