richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tiablo A9: sells for $60 in KD
Ultrafire 007 Recoil sold at DX
Coleman triple cree 530 lumens spotlight $45 at walmart
3D maglite with KD aspheric lens and Q5 conversion kit, about $50 at KD
RQ aka the fake spear, $50 at KD, performance is comparable with the real spear
Dorcy 220lms mentioned above
I'll add the Jetbeam Ultra and the Fenix TK11, these lights can throw but not a real real thrower.

The fact that the DBS and the A10 are the best throwers does not necessarily means that they are the only ones... :)

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
mrmonk:

just thought this thread might be useful for you as a referance. Its shows a selection of the different types of lights(LED vs incand vs HID) in outdoor beamshots up to 500ft. LEDs though being very efficient, might not be the wisest of choices when dealing with outdoor elements such as vegetation, snow, fog and rain.

Here's another thread about LED throwers with outdoor beamshots up to 220m or 720ft...

Last edited:

Sabre

Newly Enlightened
The Tiablo lights have a reverse clickie, don't they? I could be wrong. If they do have the reverse clickie, I can't recommend them for LE use because there is no momentary function.

I have a TK11 I use for police work. It throws pretty well, but not nearly as well as my Mag-charger. The Mag-charger also has much better color rendition at long range. The further the LED throws, the bluer it gets (or so it seems to me).

I hang a Mag-charger on a baton ring on my belt. No issue. Even sitting in the car. The Mag is rock-solid dependable. There's a reason that it's such a popular police light.

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello. I need some professional help here. I work in law enforcement on the border of the United States. I am looking for some help on light choice. I need a light that can throw very far...200+yards and illuminate a spot. I don't want a maglite style light as i want to comfortably carry it on my duty belt. I'm thinking around 8" long MAX or less would be ideal for size. I know that a light that will throw like i'm talking will not have very good spill for area illumination, and i'm ok with that. Honestly, I would like to purchase 2 lights, one with supreme throw, and another with good throw but also some area illumination. I need the light(s) to be able to disorient a single person and a light that can disorient a group of people (yes I understand I will most likely need too lights) I want to stay in the $100 or less price range...cheaper is better money wise but not to sacrifice light quality per se. Also, I would prefer the light(s) to be quite a bit brighter than any Surefire offerings currently available. I know I am in the LED forum but if you think you have an incan suggestion then let me know as well. I hope I have provided enough information. Please help if you can...you'll essentially be helping protect our nations security!!! Thanks and by the way I'm Michael and I'm new here and I have searched the hell out of the boards for the past few days but there is too much info for a newb to sort through.

One more thing...I was looking at the M20 OLIGHT and considering it, but honestly I have no clue. Thanks everyone.

Summary for light(s)

Light 1
LONG throw
Tight Spot
LED or INCAN
Able to temporarily blind and disorient
Over 200yds throw (more is much better)
8" overall or less...give or take

Light 2
Super Bright
Area illumination with descent throw and hotspot still
Able to temporarily blind and disorient a group of people
I would prefer this to be smaller than Light one if possible.
Border Patrol is pretty serious stuff, therefore I'd not recommend you some cheap "toy". You should get a Polarion HID or a Maxabeam.

dougie

Enlightened
I'd just like to touch on a few points. If you are in the outback for sometime and away from a vehicle you really need the most dependable lights you can get and ones which are as economic to run both in terms of cost and in efficiency.

Dependability and reliability are achieved only by buying a 'proven' product and therefore won't come cheap (What does?). I know that some of the lights suggested meet your criteria but once bought how long will they last and if they go wrong what sort of warranty service would you get?

If I can impart on you one thing it is not to skimp on the purchase costs of good lights......it might one day mean the difference between your life and death! With this in mind I'd suggest you think about lights made by Pelican, Surefire or Streamlight. For foreign made lights Dereelights, Tiablo and Wolf Eyes are all well known and respected on these forums and most retailers support them with good after sales. Whatever you decide on remember that when the proverbial hits the fan you only get one chance so make sure you can depend on your lights?

Good luck with whatever you choose

Doug

alohaluau

Newly Enlightened
The Tiablo lights have a reverse clickie, don't they? I could be wrong. If they do have the reverse clickie, I can't recommend them for LE use because there is no momentary function.

Hi Sabre,

One can get a tactical forward clickie for the Tiablo A9, it does sacrifice the low/high option and only gets you the high output, which is up to 256 lumens. May be hard to find, me thinks its discontinued.

I'm waiting for the local Tiablo distributor to bring in the aspherical lens for the A9, should make it interesting! :thumbsup:

By the way, welcome mrmonk7663! :welcome:

Cheers,
Luau

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suggest buying a Dereelight DBS v3 1S. It has the second best throw for an LED flashlight w/ a reflector - best is the Tiablo A10, which is much heftier. With FlashCrazy's current promotion in the marketplace you can get one for $100.

I said 1S because if this is for law enforcement you probably won't want to screw around with multiple modes. And the other single mode circuitry is as yet untested, but previous versions have not had the output or regulation of the 1S pill.

To get a feel for throw in high end flashlights, look at light-reviews.com. The lux value at 1m is used to show throw distance. Most 2xCR123A flashlights get around 6,000-10,000, the M20 gets around 13,000, and the DBS gets around 30,000.

mrmonk7663

Newly Enlightened
The Polarion being about $1500 is WAY TOO MUCH MONEY. Yes I want a good light but hell that isn't going to happen for $1500. I will look into the DBS. I am still considering the Tiablo very much. I know its foreign but it has been tested by many on this forum with positive results and with the aspherical lense it might be the ticket. I picked up a Dorcy 220 for $40 shipped to my door last night so it should be here at the end of the week. I'll see how I like it. I will carry 2 lights with me, and if I wind up with extras I'll keep them in the car/bug out bag. I don't want to skimp out on my lights as I know they can make the difference...I just want good value for the money that will do the job I want it to do. Oh, and as for the long thrower light i'm desiring...this would be something that is used "when needed", not as a general search light so I don't need tons of hours of runtime on it, 1-3 hours would be fine.

JasonH

Enlightened
For your first choice, I'd have to go with the DBS.
Second choice has a larger variety of options, also what do you mean by super bright? Again dereelight hit the spot with the cl1h, has good throw and good spill, powered off a 18650, you can get a variety of pills, a 1 stage is probably best. Other then that, a surefire LED, or a incan with a led drop-in. They would be a bit more pricey.

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure if this was directed at DX but mine is a geniune Tiablo. It's a discontinued light so get it wherever you can get it before it's no longer available.

As for you light number two, in your line of work, I would definitely make sure it had an automated SOS and strobe. Some people here make fun of them but in your line of work it could be a lifesaver.

I wasn't directing it at any place in particular but I have read about fakes so I wanted to let the OP know it was a legit light.

Sabre

Newly Enlightened
I wasn't directing it at any place in particular but I have read about fakes so I wanted to let the OP know it was a legit light.

From the DX website page featuring the Tiablo A9:

** Important Notice: reports have been received regarding the authenticity of this product. DX is able to confirm the reported "defects" and is now investigating why this happened. Latest update and solutions for customers with affected products will be posted in the product forums below within 15 minutes.
This product will remain unavailable until the current issue is resolved.

Looks like they are concerned enough about their inventory being fake that they have stopped selling the Tiablo A9 for now.

shahzh

Newly Enlightened

If not mistaken there is a single stage forward clickie you can buy as an option for the A9.

mrmonk7663

Newly Enlightened
Yes there is a forward clickie you can buy that gives you only High. Alright guys, to start with here is what lights I bought thanks to the many reccomendations on here. I purchased a DBS v3, a Tiablo A9, and also the Dorcy 220. The A9 will be getting the new head to make it my super distance thrower, and the DBS will stay in its normal form for a bit, and then get upgraded to the MC-E with the OP reflector and this will be my light to light up areas with. The Dorcy 220...we'll see where it fits in when the time comes :) Thanks for all of the help everyone. I appreciate it all immensely.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
If not mistaken there is a single stage forward clickie you can buy as an option for the A9.
The new Tiablo A10 is sold with two different clickies included in the package (no need to purchase anything separately). And the A9 was discontinued last year, so I don't know why you guys are even mentioning it...

mrmonk7663

Newly Enlightened
I'm curious. If they discontinued it why is it on their website and why are brand new products coming out for it still? Not being a smart ***, i'm seriously confused about this.

evenchaos

Newly Enlightened
I'm curious. If they discontinued it why is it on their website and why are brand new products coming out for it still? Not being a smart ***, i'm seriously confused about this.

Your not the only one seriously scratching his head. Maybe to tick of the A10 buyers who can't upgrade to the aspheric head :mad:?

teaspook

Newly Enlightened
Tiablo A9 @ DX shows backordered but apparently they are still accepting orders. Will they be shipping the real mccoy or a dud?

pipspeak

Enlightened
MagCharger with a Welch Allen halogen bulb?
Dereelight DBS v3?
Tiablo A10?
20W AE Xenide HID? (probably out of your price range)