• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Need Modded Work? 2013 ;-) (Taking Orders Again)

LeukTech

Newly Enlightened
Re: vinhnguyen54 Need Modded Work? 2013 ;-)

Vinh,

I recently got myself a Solarforce K3 head that has a MT-G2 emitter, and it has quickly become one of my favorite lights. Super bright, surprisingly wonderful tint, and quite efficient in regards to mA vs lumens.

Well in an attempt to add more heatsinking to a Solarforce host by using a cut-up soda can inside the drop-in area, I managed to completely destroy the light by accidentally unscrewing the bottom pill which got stuck in the host. This not only untwisted the wires for +/-, but it also seems to have wreaked whatever the copper wound thingy is inside the driver.

I did a minor disassemble of the light and grabbed a pic of the damage:

x0MZM9X.png

The round yellow thing wrapped in copper wire got all messed up as well (not shown in pic, but the other side is all jacked up). So the driver is toast. I also dinged up the bottom pill's threads a bit when I tried to take it out of the host with needle-nose pliers. Luckily it still screws in enough to fit fine inside my SF host.

Host in question (on top), feels GREAT in hand with perfect weight/balance ratio and the side-switch is wonderful for this setup! (Solarforce L2D host and 2*18500 1500mAh AW's with CR123/16340 SF extension tube)
1NeV7wx.png

I basically have two options:

1. Buy a new one (but completely waste the old one, which makes me cringe as it is such a waste of a perfect emitter + reflector and the money I paid for it).
2. Have you do your magic on it with a new driver, added amperage, and possibly more heatsinking (and also some lock-tight on the bottom pill to prevent it from unscrewing ever again).

What do you think? Since I am using it mainly with two protected 1500mAh 18500 batteries, the maximum amperage draw would be 3A or less. I'm guessing the sweet spot would be 2.5A - 2.8A. Would you be able/willing to do that?

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

$55. I will put a new driver and get everything right again :) Email me if you are interested. [email protected]

Vinh,

I recently got myself a Solarforce K3 head that has a MT-G2 emitter, and it has quickly become one of my favorite lights. Super bright, surprisingly wonderful tint, and quite efficient in regards to mA vs lumens.

Well in an attempt to add more heatsinking to a Solarforce host by using a cut-up soda can inside the drop-in area, I managed to completely destroy the light by accidentally unscrewing the bottom pill which got stuck in the host. This not only untwisted the wires for +/-, but it also seems to have wreaked whatever the copper wound thingy is inside the driver.

I did a minor disassemble of the light and grabbed a pic of the damage:

x0MZM9X.png

The round yellow thing wrapped in copper wire got all messed up as well (not shown in pic, but the other side is all jacked up). So the driver is toast. I also dinged up the bottom pill's threads a bit when I tried to take it out of the host with needle-nose pliers. Luckily it still screws in enough to fit fine inside my SF host.

Host in question (on top), feels GREAT in hand with perfect weight/balance ratio and the side-switch is wonderful for this setup! (Solarforce L2D host and 2*18500 1500mAh AW's with CR123/16340 SF extension tube)
1NeV7wx.png

I basically have two options:

1. Buy a new one (but completely waste the old one, which makes me cringe as it is such a waste of a perfect emitter + reflector and the money I paid for it).
2. Have you do your magic on it with a new driver, added amperage, and possibly more heatsinking (and also some lock-tight on the bottom pill to prevent it from unscrewing ever again).

What do you think? Since I am using it mainly with two protected 1500mAh 18500 batteries, the maximum amperage draw would be 3A or less. I'm guessing the sweet spot would be 2.5A - 2.8A. Would you be able/willing to do that?

LeukTech

Newly Enlightened

Got my K3 back today, I love it!!! :twothumbs

Thanks so much for fixing it up for me so quickly, and the extra current boost is a nice bonus to an already great light! I thought it was bright before, but holy cow this thing is crazy bright now! Puts a big smile on my face anytime I run it on high, even in a daylight lit room it is astonishing. Amperage is perfect, on my two 18500's @ 4.15V each it peaks at ~3.15A or so then slowly drops down. Works great!

If the MT-G2 emitter was able to run off a single 18650, I would be replacing every emitter I could with it. Crazy bright, efficient in regards to lumens per amp, and the tint is nearly perfect. Wish they would start using these in LED light bulbs, would finally get me a few if that was the case.

Thanks again vinh, you are the man! :D

jlove

Newly Enlightened
What kind of magic can you work with a Fenix PD31...love the size/feel and UI of it, but it doesn't seem as bright as it used to. Though, maybe that's partially because of what I've been comparing it to lately;)
I'd like to continue to still be able to use either protected 18650s or the 123 cells. THANKS!

Me+Light=Addiction

Enlightened
What kind of magic can you work with a Fenix PD31...love the size/feel and UI of it, but it doesn't seem as bright as it used to. Though, maybe that's partially because of what I've been comparing it to lately;)
I'd like to continue to still be able to use either protected 18650s or the 123 cells. THANKS!

Hey jlove,

You're best off e-mailing vin, you'll probably get a quicker reply!

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast

Vinh can you put a u3 xml dedome or maybe else to resurrect my old school sr90. Mtg2 or xpg2 :)

XP-G2 de-domed has been done before. Around 980klux @ 5A. It also got a different battery tube that takes 3 18650s to make it more compact.

He measured 980klux with XP-G2 R5. Now we have S2 and even S3-binned LEDs.

But I agree with vin. A more powerful led makes better use of the large Host with all those cooling fins. I would mod the driver to put out much more current though (or replace it). 15A should be no problem.

Last edited:

tnpnt1

Newly Enlightened

I have a nightmaster 800 I want the led changed to 1 mode red,it has the 2MT-S in it now .

Neomis

Newly Enlightened
Hello Everyone!

Need your flashlight modded? Follow the instructions below:

1) Email me at [email protected] and describe the work you want done. I will give you some recommendation and a quote.

2) I might refuse to proceed with the mod if I feel the damage risk is too high or I am simply not capable.

3) If I have never seen your light before I might need you to send it to me for review and a quote. The quote is free.

4) I will always pay for return shipping if no work/improvement was done

5) My quote will already include shipping charges

6) A note of desired work must be added with the shipped package.

7) Whenever possible I will make your light heat sink better, draw current more efficiently and more reliable.

I take Money order, personal check and paypal.

Here are some very rough estimates:

Thanks!

Hi Vinh, I wanted to get a tm06s and a Tm16gt modded, what could you recommend to make this throw and be as bright as possible? Anything else you might suggest!? I have the Tm06s on order and will be getting the tm16Gt soon.

CNR

Newly Enlightened
I know it's been a while this thread has seen a post but, Vin, are you still on?