New 2nd Generation Cree XP-G2 LED!

ergotelis

Enlightened
All right guys this is the first test data from the 10 leds.

-This led is similar to the samsung 3535 chip in core, the silicone is a bit different.

You can see pictures from both leds. In that post, for those who don't know, you can see a xp-e,xp-g, xt-e, nichia 219, samsung 3535 warm&cool, a xm-l and finally two xp-g2 leds. I will post another picture,(when i find my ssc P7) with xr-e ez900,xr-e old core, xr-e ez1000 silver, mc-e, sst50 ,rebel , dedomed xm-ls, and some luxeon older.

-THe best to the worst in the 10 xp-g2 , the performance difference is only 5%, this is pretty good, @1,05amp with 7135 based driver.
-The worst xp-g2 to one of the best (from cutter) xp-g S2 2T led @1,05amp too is 10% better for the xp-g2.
-Xp-g2 seems to work just right with all xp-g reflectors. No problem. It focuses very well.
-I did my first two mods, a quark aa2 tactical and a fenix pd32. In the first flashlight,quark, it works just fine together, but can't tell accurate performance difference.
In PD32, i can tell you the performance leap, at least on my measurements:
1)Manufacturer rated: 315 OTF and 5000 lux
1) I rated : 323 OTF and 5175 lux (i have a prototype sample)
2)1st mod with xp-g S2 2T(from cutter): 352 OTF and 5800 lux
3)2nd mod with xp-g2 R5 1A(from cutter too): 382 OTF and 7300 lux(!)
For the record, i measured 1,2amp on the LED (NOT on tail!) on PD32.It has a copper base pcb.

I hear you! :D

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well that was Jason that said that not me but I assumed he got the XP-G2 figures from the data sheet and the rest from the PCT.

I had assumed you meant PCT when you said "According to the cree tool:"

Semiman

The XP-G2 figures were taken from the datasheet. The other figures @ 85C for XM-L and XP-G emitters were taken from the Cree PCT tool.

With the new LED ratings @ 85C, it is important to compare the XM-L and XP-G to the XP-G2 at equal die temperatures, which is why I decided to list out the specs of the emitters at those temperatures.

2)1st mod with xp-g S2 2T(from cutter): 352 OTF and 5800 lux
3)2nd mod with xp-g2 R5 1A(from cutter too): 382 OTF and 7300 lux(!)

Wow so that suggests an increase in throw for the XP-G2 over the XP-G?

Other people in this thread were adamant that I was incorrect that a smaller viewing angle would yield better throw...???

Last edited:

ergotelis

Enlightened
@jasonck08,

Well i didn't read all the theory about the theory, put everything into practice immediately! :D
And in both two mods i made, the throw increased more than expected.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow so that suggests an increase in throw for the XP-G2 over the XP-G?

Other people in this thread were adamant that I was incorrect that a smaller viewing angle would yield better throw...???

You can't draw that conclusion based on tests with one type of reflector. I still maintain that a shallow reflector will favour the gen 1 XP-G for throw.

ergotelis

Enlightened
You can't draw that conclusion based on tests with one type of reflector. I still maintain that a shallow reflector will favour the gen 1 XP-G for throw.

Here are some tests in reflectors: In fenix PD32, Armytek Predator, quark mini123, quark 2AA tactical, ray X60, uniquefire uf v4, i get better throw results than xp-g R5, though not sure if the increase is due to higher lumen, but the hotspot seems tighter too. In Fenix PD32 i saw that the increase in throw was considerably higher than the increase in lumen. In an hour i will know also for quark mini123 (is Ti version with xp-g S3 led) and armytek predator.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting results . Thanks for doing these tests. I think the s3 bin gen1 is equivalent to the r5 gen2 in terms of lumen output (but are impossible to find). I'm thinking of modding a jetbeam rrt2 with the xp-g2 but will probably wait until neutral tints are available. The rrt2 is one of the easiest lights to mod.

ergotelis

Enlightened
I just dedomed one xp-g2 with success.It works! Do you know that i am crazy? :D

I will measure it soon and post the results, as well as other issues, such as possible tint shift and improvement in throw.

I also swapped some led boards, so as to use the appropriate pcb for the flashlights i am going to mod.

ergotelis

Enlightened
Dedomed cree xp-g2:
Noticeable tint shift to yellow, original is 1A.
Performance loss is about 10%, i think it is quite good.
Throw improvement still not tested.

p7230069.jpg

ergotelis

Enlightened
Is it possible that 7300 lux should be 6300lux?

I am pretty sure this number is correct. I can say that it might be even more, it is about 7300-7400.

And here we are, just check some more numbers, that i didn't manage to upload them yesterday:
Fenix PD32 R5: was 323 lumen and 5175 lux, now 382 lumen and 7300 lux!
Armytek PRedator R5: was 345 lumen and ~17,000 lux, now 411 lumen and 27.150 lux!
Quark mini123 ti S3: was 293 lumen and ~3450 lux, now 310 lumen and 4470 lux!

All readings are @~30sec after activation, i have put a lot of effort to measure them accurately, but still, to be sure for all expect a +-3% difference.

A10K

Newly Enlightened
Armytek PRedator R5: was 345 lumen and ~17,000 lux, now 411 lumen and 27.150 lux!

Wow.

That has just knocked off the "Nichia Predator" from the top of my Non-Existent Predator Model wishlist.

Thanks for these numbers, this is great info.

tstartrekdude

Newly Enlightened
Why? Because lighting nerds such as myself have short attention spans and will stop throwing money at Cree if they don't give new toys on a regular basis.

How? Unicorn tears and panda sperm.