New bad-*** Princeton Tec Apex -WOW !!!

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
mrme, my point exactly. But PT advertises the fact that several cell chemistries can be used, so I wonder about the battery indicator. They should mention it only is valid for alk cells if that is the case, IMHO.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
I just spoke with PT Customer Service and the release date has been pushed back to July and possibly into August. No reason given.

Wyeast

Enlightened
August? *groan*

Way to miss this year's camping season, PT. Now I have to buy a different light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

--> Andy

Commander

Enlightened
This is new to me:

The Apex combines proprietary princeton Tec optics and a high output, 3-watt Luxeon LED for an incredibly long-range LED headlamp. For wide area illumination and longer running time, select the array of 4 standard LEDs. The Apex is current regulated for constant light ouput, and the proprietary heat regulation system allows a brighter light and a longer burn time. Two switches allow independent control of the 3-watt LED or the LED array. After 3 seconds, the next push of the smart switch turns the light off (instead of cycling through light levels) and remembers which level you were using the next time you turn it on. Includes a battery power meter. Overmolded rubber cushion battery pack for increased comfort and fit. Includes an elastic headband and optional Velcro mounting. Waterproof to -1m. Runs on 4 AA batteries (included) and can use alkaline, lithium or NIMH batteries. Weight: 10 oz with batteries.
<font color="red">The debut of the Apex has been pushed back to August 15th or later.</font>

17-1227.jpg

http://www.caves.org/imo/LED.htm

The_virus

Enlightened
I'd imagine that although the Apex can handle many types of batteries, the battery meter will only work with alkalines. It's too bad about the August release, I bet PT isn't too happy about it either, they know they're missing the prime camping season by doing this. There must be something they really want to get right though, for them to push back an important product release like this. Here's to perfectionists! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy23.gif

mrme

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Wyeast said:
August? *groan*

Way to miss this year's camping season, PT. Now I have to buy a different light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

--> Andy

[/ QUOTE ]

But that will be prime time to sell to all the hunters out there.

Every year I hope that end of the summer would mean camping gear will go on clearance, but all that seems to happen is camofage clothing gets set next to it.

If it REALLY runs at 3 Watts, this will be a remarkable headlamp. Otherwise I will laugh PT to scorn for not knowing what a Watt really is (like many of the cheap importers).

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does it produce white color ???

Does this light produce a white light or bluish color? It might be powerful but I like only white light.