New Brinkmann "Rebel" Led Light

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stingmon:
I've never actually been in our REI.
blush.gif

I'm not much an "outdoorsy type", or the sporting type either. But it's good to know it's nearby if I ever get the chance to load up on disaster supplies - you know, sleeping bag, small tent, Coleman stove, water purifiying materials, survival tools, and other so-called "camping gear" that could very possibly serve as disaster gear as well.
grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've seen quite a selection of both LED and the incandescent lights (two gondolas worth!) at our local REI before..- so tomorrow I'm going over to look for some of those LXs:<)

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
rebel10.jpg

Candlepower Forums Members,
People say their quite smart.
But can they tell,
These brothers apart?

rebel11.jpg

Here is the Rebel and its filters compared alongside the Long Life LED.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I got my Brinkmann Rebel today.
Later on, I'm going to put up some pictures you's'all might find interesting.

I have to disconnect for the rest of the day to wait for an important call from Radiant Imaging about that ProMetric beam profile analyzer - apparently it's ready for delivery!!
grin.gif
shocked.gif
tongue.gif
shocked.gif
cool.gif
shocked.gif
smile.gif

Sorry to keep you all in suspense with the Rebel pictures... late afternoon is probably when I'll be able to come back online and post them.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SCOTT THE BADGER:
The one on the right is the Rebel.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

POP!
oops, sorry about your bubble dude...
wink.gif

The one on the left is the Rebel, the one on the right is the older Long Life LED.
grin.gif

The two lights are (as far as I can tell) electrically identical, and *almost* optically identical as well.

I say almost because there is a slight difference in the beam size, and in the configuration of rings surrounding it.
The upper edge of the reflector (the portion that creates the brightest secondary ring in both) is stippled in the Rebel, while it is smooth in the L.L. And the color of the Rebel's light is slightly less violetish or bluish than the color of the L.L.'s light.

The Rebel is also a touch brighter, according to the meter; but I'll have to retest with new batteries in each to be sure.

One thing I don't like - where the hell are you supposed to put the filters when you aren't using them?
They scratch easily, so a pocket is out of the question. I guess I've just found a new use for those extra purple Crown Royal(?) (booze) velvet drawstring bags that most people have at least one of lying around.
smile.gif

funk

Enlightened
Craig, What about the Impact? Have you compared them?
Thanks!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by funk:
Craig, What about the Impact? Have you compared them?
Thanks!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The comparison and photos from the Impact vs. Long Life LED are, for the most part, valid with the Rebel as well.

The ring pattern is a bit different between the Rebel and the L.L. though, so I'll get another picture taken at the earliest opportunity.

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of our WalMarts around here just got
ONE rebel in :) I was thinking of
getting one, but im not sure if i want
a single LED flashlight that costs $15 US.
The flashlight is a little bigger then i thought it would be, because the batteries
are arranged in physical series instead of
side by side as in the Brinkmann Long Life.
Since i began building two led flashlights
with multiple current settings, i guess i
got kind of spoiled by the extra light of
two leds compared to one. I also like
a more wide spread beam too, not so much
a tiny spot, although i think the leds without
any optics are a little TOO wide, while the
Brinkmann is a little too narrow.
I'll live with the lone LED's though :)

I would say that people who dont feel like
constructing their own lights would find
this newer light very worth while, sorta like
the older Brinkmann Long Life. Thats a good
flashlight i think, and made of fairly
heavy plastic. Stingmon did you do any
drop tests (he he) with any Brinkmanns?
I would bet the older Brinkmann holds up
better.

Also, while i was there there other day,
i noticed they also have small battery
operated fluorescent lights. Since they
only cost about $4.00 US, thats a pretty
good buy i think. The only drawback though
is that they require 6 "C" size cells, not
something i want to have to "stock" along
with my multitude of other usual more
common battery sizes like AAA, AA, D, etc.

I might get one just to test though:)

Geeze, i have a feeling that we dont have to
worry about the sun burning out any longer
here on earth, just as long as everyone on
this forum promptly turns on all the
flashlights they own :)

Have fun,
--Al

napalm-2002

Enlightened
some one was reading our posts (good very good) a rep from brinkman told me to ship my rebel back for a replacement.cool very cool.

now if they would only ten led lite!!!

at any rate they are interested in making it right.
thank you brinkman
smile.gif

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish they would change the focal point (move the lens forward or backward) so the gold bond wires weren`t projected so clearly and smooth out those rings.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ken B:
I wish they would change the focal point (move the lens forward or backward) so the gold bond wires weren`t projected so clearly and smooth out those rings.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can you try reversing that lens?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it`s the same as the longlife you can`t. But it`s a good thought Doug...like the Pal line...I reversed mine and prefer it that way.

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ken B:
I wish they would change the focal point (move the lens forward or backward) so the gold bond wires weren`t projected so clearly and smooth out those rings.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah he he, i noticed that too. It's
kind of strange that they designed
the focal lenght of the lense such that
the leads show up nice and clear, like
a good projection system--too bad its
a FLASHLIGHT !! :)
I think all they have to do is
change the focal lenght of the lense a little, maybe by half an inch.
My guess is that the original design was
based on the chip surface to lense distance
and after all the parts were made it
became hard to modify. Perhaps they can
improve future flashlights this way though.
No one i know likes seeing those
two leads amplified to look like
California Redwood tree branches :))

It was my first LED flashlight though,
and i still like it and recommend it
highly because of its pretty good
construction and the fact that it has a
white led. It's a nice looking design too.

--Al

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I've never actually been in our REI. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My local REI has a decent selection of lights, but you have the Flagship Store, they carry a much bigger variety of stuff.
Things that flashaholics can get at REI:
-123 Lithiums $6.80 ea cheaper by the 2pack.
-SAFT LiSO2 3v D-battery $17 for Action Light
-Li AA batteries $6 for 2 pk
-Brinkman longlife and legend series
-Petzl Zipka and Tikka
-Princeton Tec (entire line including Impact)
-Engergizer pocket LED $8
-CC Trek light
-CMG Infinity and O4
-Photons 1,2,& 3's

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by napalm-2002:
cheap platic crap.i didnt even drop it a friend of mine broke it putting the batts in.
mad.gif
mad.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guess what?
While I was building my Toylet mod for the LED Junkyard Compo, I reached for my Rebel to borrow the batteries out of it, and the end piece simply came off in my hand when I started turning!

rebel20.jpg

It appears the end piece is only held in place by four really whimpy small plastic nipples, which is why it breaks so easily when torque is applied.
frown.gif
mad.gif
frown.gif
:pISSED:
tongue.gif

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by telephony:
Guess what?
While I was building my Toylet mod for the LED Junkyard Compo, I reached for my Rebel to borrow the batteries out of it, and the end piece simply came off in my hand when I started turning!

rebel20.jpg

It appears the end piece is only held in place by four really whimpy small plastic nipples, which is why it breaks so easily when torque is applied.
frown.gif
mad.gif
frown.gif
:pISSED:
tongue.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow! What a POS! How many times have you used it? I bought one of these and returned it because it was plastic, too bad they didn't make them out of aluminum (sp?) like the LX.

mikep

Enlightened
My brother and I had the tailcaps break on our 'Rebel's within a couple days of each other. It looks exactly like Craig's picture. Well, now I have two sets of the internals to mess with. At least with the rebel they are held together in a neat 'pod' you can pop out the front (thanks to Aragorn's instructions).

LiteFreek

Newly Enlightened
Just as a side note, at least before I break the tail cap off my rebel. I removed the front cover and lens assembly and then took a thin strip, about 3/16" tall, and wrapped it around the inside top of the reflector and then reassembled it. The top of the reflector goes from conical to a straight cylinder for about 3/16" at the top. And its perfect for a nice piece of Alien skin to be wrapped around the inside. It doesn't do much for light after the rebel is turned off, but it does have a coolness factor to see this green light coming from inside the reflector. Actually I did this to both the rebel and the long life. The long life was a major pain in the butt to get apart without breaking anything though.
rolleyes.gif

-the local LiteFreek

Latest posts