New Defiant ArmorMax Lights at Home Depot!

gearhead1972

Newly Enlightened
What is the cost for the 3D and the 3C lights? No one has mentioned the cost yet. I'd love to see the 3D light if it is around $25 or under. Otherwise, I can get a 2 pack of 3C lights that are 500 lumens from Costco for under $30. If the 3D light runs for 18 hours on high, then it is probably drawing about 1 amp an hour. If low is at 50%, that would be around 500 mAh.
Just got one yesterday, blows by Malkoff modified mag that has 2 imr's out of the water. Mine was drawing 2.89 amps on high and about .70 on low so I would say less than 50%.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mikekoz,
Does the Defiant ArmorMax 3d cell have a better throw than the Defiant 493 3c cell?
Thanks.
Ted

Other than shining them side by side on a wall, I have not tested them side by side, sorry! The Armormax appears to be a little brighter and has a warmer tint. I was thinking about exchanging my 3C 493 model as it seems to be a little bit on the purple side, tint wise.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got one yesterday, blows by Malkoff modified mag that has 2 imr's out of the water. Mine was drawing 2.89 amps on high and about .70 on low so I would say less than 50%.

What kind of Malkoff drop-in does it seem to be outpeforming? XP-G2 or XM-L2? Based on my observations, it might be about equal to my Mag XM-L2 drop-in. As far as the output, I believe it's rated at 180 lumens on low. So it's a little less than a third of the output. But keep in mind that the LED is quite a bit more efficient at low output vs high output. So even though output is about a third at low vs high, current will be LESS than a third.

As for the Armor Max Lights, I picked up one earlier today. And I have to say it's a pretty good light. I feel like, compared to the 3C lights available around the holidays, they are MUCH better built. In fact, I would say they are getting close to being of Maglite quality. I also really like the rubber bumpers. These will definitely keep the light from getting all scratched up like other lights if dropped. However, I see the change from 550 to around 200 lumens with the 3C as a MAJOR downgrade. Since I already have the older XM-L 3C light, I got the 3D. I would not consider buying the 3C unless brightness is not important to you.

slapdookie

Newly Enlightened
I am by no means an expert on flashlights but i just picked up the ArmorMax 3D and i have to say i am pleasantly surprised. I think for the money it is an excellent value. It has good output(590 lumens on high with a reported runtime of 18hrs or 12 hrs as per the homedepot website), nice combination of throw and spill ( in my opinion ) to make it a good all around torch. Also this flashlight is built like a bricks#$% weighing in at 1.4 lbs making it not the most ideal light for tight spots but then again i'm not sure that it was meant for that. As far as the interface i agree with another member in that i prefer a side button interface on these larger torches but I have not had any issues with the rear clicky as some people have reported. I keep mine in my truck for an added measured of security as this torch would be a solid self defense item if needed

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed that this is one BIG, HEAVY light. In fact, it's big and heavy even compared to a 3D Mag.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
If that's the case then I don't need one unless I need another affordable fish head bonker.

I guess I probably made this light sound worse than it is. But if you like bigger lights, it's really not a bad way to go. For $30, it's probably the best combination of brightness, long runtime, and quality construction you are going to find. And although 1x18650 pocket rockets are considered more hip by most flashoholics, unlike those lights, this one does NOT have to power down from its highest setting in order to prevent the light from baking itself alive.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
And although 1x18650 pocket rockets are considered more hip by most flashoholics, unlike those lights, this one does NOT have to power down from its highest setting in order to prevent the light from baking itself alive.

There is a reason 18650 lights are valued here...take the RS11 as an example. 600+ lumens, no step down, and maybe 1/10th of the size of the 3D. Even the Nitecore TM26 is much smaller and lighter than the 3D, and it can put out 1700 lumens for 3 hours, or 540 lumens for 10 hours, and stepdown won't be an issue. The only reason to get a light like this is to use it as a club, or because you can't afford anything better. If your budget won't go to 18650, though, nothing wrong with these...just saying by comparison these lights are pretty weak, especially for the size.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I guess I probably made this light sound worse than it is. But if you like bigger lights, it's really not a bad way to go. For $30, it's probably the best combination of brightness, long runtime, and quality construction you are going to find. And although 1x18650 pocket rockets are considered more hip by most flashoholics, unlike those lights, this one does NOT have to power down from its highest setting in order to prevent the light from baking itself alive.

LOL

Correct, if it STARTS out dim for its size, it really doesn't need to get dimmer to avoid problems.

I will say that I finally tried the 3D version, and its at least putting out enough light to be useful...its just ENORMOUS for the amount of light it gives off.

On a lumens per dollar basis though, its not too bad as a purchase, and if using Nimh's instead of Alka-Leaks, the cost of using it would not be too bad.

So, if you don't need to carry it around/EDC it...say it sits in a boat or by the door, etc....and you want an el cheapo light to fill the duty, I think its not bad really.

If you want to go hiking/carry a light with you of that lumen output, well, its a freakin anchor compared to the li-ion alternatives...but 600 L in your front pant pocket means spending ~ $45 much for the light, but that light will weigh closer to the weight of one of the three giant D Cells in the Defiant....than it will to the weight of a loaded 3-D Defiant. For the weight and size of the 3D Defiant, a li-ion powered light could be pumping out a few THOUSAND lumens instead of a few hundred.

So, again, the 3D version at least can be worth it I think, for some uses/cost benefit scenarios.

:D

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to go hiking/carry a light with you of that lumen output, well, its a freakin anchor compared to the li-ion alternatives...but 600 L in your front pant pocket means spending ~ $45 much for the light, but that light will weigh closer to the weight of one of the three giant D Cells in the Defiant....than it will to the weight of a loaded 3-D Defiant. For the weight and size of the 3D Defiant, a li-ion powered light could be pumping out a few THOUSAND lumens instead of a few hundred.

Then again, how long before thermal protection kicks in on a pocket rocket to prevent it from cooking itself on Turbo? Five minutes? Maybe 15 minutes? Then you're at 50-100 lumens. When I take a light hiking, I want something that I can potentially use at full brightness for at least a couple of hours without worrying about it. And a 1x18650 light won't give me this. They're just not made for SUSTAINED high power operation. As far as a light the size and weight of this one putting out THOUSANDS of lumens on NiMH, such a light exists. It's called the Fenix TK70.

Last edited:

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too heavy!! PFFFFFFFFFFFFT!!!! You guys are wimps!! I am using my 3D defiant as a keychain light!!!! :nana::crackup:

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too heavy!! PFFFFFFFFFFFFT!!!! You guys are wimps!! I am using my 3D defiant as a keychain light!!!! :nana::crackup:

I have to admit that I actually LIKE a light on the long and heavy side. They're just more comfortable for me to carry. Small lights have to be clenched in a fist, which can get uncomfortable after a while. But larger lights can be loosely cradled in your hand at the center of mass. My hand gets ALOT less tired. And even a pound or two really isn't tiring for me to carry.

Canuke

Enlightened
The Defiant beat goes on :)

Today I saw two more variants on this theme. First, there is now a 5C (not a typo, FIVE C cells) "clue bat" style light, rated 625 lumens from an XM-L. Ot has the smaller head comparable to the original from late last year. $24.95. I didn't buy one, I'm tapped out on the 500-1000 lumen lights with my 3C thrower, Coast HP7 and Stanley spot.

There were also some 2AA lights in a 2-pack, rated 120 lumens. These were of interest because of the emitters; they are the all-yellow ones (XB-D?) like those we see in the Defiant headlamps and 3AAA lights, but bigger - between the XP-G and XM-L in size. For a moment I thought they might actually be XM-L's.

Pics:
tagaqezu.jpg

u2a3eged.jpg

Hotspot comparo below, with my Quark AA neutral white XP-G light as seen above (on top, Defiant is below. Shot on an Iphone so take the apparent tints with that grain of salt). The Quark is on Max, not High, which suggests that the Defiants are overdelivering by at least 50 lumens. The Quark is on nearly fresh Eneloops, the Defiant on the supplied alkalines; switching the batteries around had no effect on this comparison, which suggests regulation to me.
e3a8udud.jpg

The Defiants have the usual High-Low-Strobe settings. One odd thing: the Low mode PWM (about 150-200 Hz -ish to me, readily visible) and Strobe modes don't shut off completely during the putative "off" part of their duty cycle, and it's flat rather than the trailing-off fading pattern of a capacitor discharging.

Last edited:

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saw the 5C light at my Home Depot today but passed on it. Probably a nice light, but it is not that much brighter than the older 3C model. You probably would notice little to no difference. As a matter of fact, it looks just like the old 3C version, but longer, of course! They did not have the 2 pack of the AA models.

Canuke

Enlightened
The 2AA lights seem to be built for NiMH's. I just ran one of these on the almost new alkalines that came with it; by one hour, after running whole-body warm (being used as a bike headlamp, not handheld) it fell off a cliff to 15% output. Batteries were at 1.1V a few minutes after removal.

Ran another half hour on Eneloops, output same as fresh alks, cooler body only slightly warm. I rather suspect that the heat came straight off the alkalines, not the driver/emitter.

I plan another test with fresh Eneloops tomorrow night.

gearhead1972

Newly Enlightened
What kind of Malkoff drop-in does it seem to be outpeforming? XP-G2 or XM-L2? Based on my observations, it might be about equal to my Mag XM-L2 drop-in. As far as the output, I believe it's rated at 180 lumens on low. So it's a little less than a third of the output. But keep in mind that the LED is quite a bit more efficient at low output vs high output. So even though output is about a third at low vs high, current will be LESS than a third.

As for the Armor Max Lights, I picked up one earlier today. And I have to say it's a pretty good light. I feel like, compared to the 3C lights available around the holidays, they are MUCH better built. In fact, I would say they are getting close to being of Maglite quality. I also really like the rubber bumpers. These will definitely keep the light from getting all scratched up like other lights if dropped. However, I see the change from 550 to around 200 lumens with the 3C as a MAJOR downgrade. Since I already have the older XM-L 3C light, I got the 3D. I would not consider buying the 3C unless brightness is not important to you.

Wow don't check these boards much and didn't remember seeing a reply Email. I have the 3-6 cell[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif] XP-G2 drop in
[/FONT]
Anyone with the 3D one try some more voltage yet? I have an extra 5 cell 1/2D pack that I was thinking about throwing in mine, don't want to pop the led though. I am pretty sure these packs come out of the charger around 6.5v or so.

cruzzer

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up the armormax 1000 lumen 3d for $29.95 as for that price I just couldn't pass it up. It was in the clearance area with all the odd ball tools and real cheap flashlights. Like the 8 flashlights for $10 pack, all 8 lumen or something, the wife actually wanted those. This thing isn't as heavy as my 4d mag and I doubt seriously it really has 1k lumens but it lights up my yard. I have a 1 acre property with an elevated ranch house with woods surrounding us. My neighbor on one side is a good 6-700 feet away through woods. This lit up the entire side of their house and the shed which on the far side of their property was visible. While not daylight at the shed it was clear that it was the shed. This was all from my back porch. We have deer in the yard all the time, fox, bobcat and sometimes black bears. I don't mind the bears as long as they don't come too close. They are too curious around here and have no fear of people due to all the tourists and transplants from the city feeding them. This light should work good for a house light. I have a pd35 on its way for a new EDC.