NEW EAGLETAC MX25L3C (6 X CUSTOM MADE NICHIA 219 B11 CRI-92)

P1X4R

Newly Enlightened
I got it today. All I can say is WOW. This is more compact than I was expecting, which is nice. The tint and output are fantastic! I had an Eagletac SX25L3 MT-G2 base version for a little while when it first came out. I really liked the light but I had two things I disliked about it. One, the tint was a little too cool for me(5000K). Two, I would have liked the switch to protrude a little more. Both of those dislikes were resolved for me with this new Eagletac with Nichia emitters. The switch is easier to find and depress and the tint and color rendering are as good as it gets in my opinion.

The output and throw seem subjectively about the same as the SX25L3 MT-G2. Yes, the ANSI output of that light is another 400-500 lumens but when it is this many the difference is really not very noticeable. This is bright and the throw is the same as the Eagletac G25C2 MKII. I will try to take some pics of the light and compare it to others so you all can have an idea of the compact size. I can not do beam shots but I can tell you the beam shape is very pleasing and has very little in the way of artifacts. This is a keeper, thanks Eagletac! :clap:

awesome! it's killing me knowing that i won't get mine till monday even though it'll be received at the post office tomorrow.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to be ordering one of these as well very soon. Just debating between the MT-G2 or C version with Nichia. Anybody know how those 2 beams would compare? Distance/perceived brightness? Anybody have both coming???
I received both today. The MT-G2 has a brighter, tighter hot spot. It did throw noticeably further when I was shining it into the woods behind my house. It's also a little bit cooler in tint than the Nichia 219s and doesn't quite have the same color rendering. It's still warmer than the typical "cool white" LED flashlight though.

Last edited:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are a few size comparison pics for you. In all three pics you will see the following from left to right -Eagletac MX25L3C with Nichia 219, Solarforce L2P, Thrunite Neutron 1A, and a Redilast 18650. I hope you enjoy and get a better idea of how compact these new lights really are. I love the fact that there is no battery magazine. This is a great design for multiple batteries.

Disciple

Enlightened
Based only on that video I prefer the MT-G2. The Nichia seems less pure; I wonder if that's merely video color balance or if it looks that way in person too? The XM-L2 blue/purple spill is hideous.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based only on that video I prefer the MT-G2. The Nichia seems less pure; I wonder if that's merely video color balance or if it looks that way in person too? The XM-L2 blue/purple spill is hideous.
It's not as bright so it doesn't look as white due to the exposure setting of the camera. Do you have any lights with a Nichia 219 4500k 92CRI LED or have you seen one in person?

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast

That is not the best way to see tint. Since the MT-G2 has a color temp between the Nichia and the XM-L2 it seems the most "pure". Throw and incandescent beam in there and then that will change your perception, too. The MT-G2 tint is nice and the color rendering seems better than other Cree LED chips to me. The 5000K tint is too cool for me but is exactly what some other people want.

Do you prefer cool or neutral white when given the choice? Most neutral white offerings are between 4000K and 4500K. Eagletac, Fenix, 4sevens, Zebralight, etc. either offer those tints or did at some point in time.

Last edited:

Disciple

Enlightened
It's not as bright so it doesn't look as white due to the exposure setting of the camera. Do you have any lights with a Nichia 219 4500k 92CRI LED or have you seen one in person?

I have not seen a 219 in person yet. Based on ledmitter_nli's work I think the Nichia 219 high CRI is just what I want, but I'd hate to get an expensive light only to learn that it is not. I haven't found the perfect 219 light for me yet either. (This one is too big and expensive, but better than a 1xAA light.)

That is not the best way to see tint. ... The MT-G2 tint is nice and the color rendering seems better than other Cree LED chips to me. The 5000K tint is too cool for me but is exactly what some other people want. Do you prefer cool or neutral white when given the choice?

Thanks for your comments. I'm still learning. I hate the color separation problem with the XM-L and it makes it hard to comment on a particular "tint" when it's really a gradient of different colors. (Despite this I have a couple of XM-L lights on the way; one intended as a gift, and the other -- we'll see.) I have an XM-L 3C bin which seems decent but a bit cold. The tint of the EagleTac D25LC2 NW XP-G2 is better to me (perhaps slightly too "warm") but the light still is not rich like an over-driven incandescent or more dramatically sunlight. If the D25LC2 NW is about 4300K, then the 4500K 219 might be just about right and I have hope that the light is richer. I guess I'll find out sooner or later.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not seen a 219 in person yet. Based on ledmitter_nli's work I think the Nichia 219 high CRI is just what I want, but I'd hate to get an expensive light only to learn that it is not. I haven't found the perfect 219 light for me yet either. (This one is too big and expensive, but better than a 1xAA light.)

Thanks for your comments. I'm still learning. I hate the color separation problem with the XM-L and it makes it hard to comment on a particular "tint" when it's really a gradient of different colors. (Despite this I have a couple of XM-L lights on the way; one intended as a gift, and the other -- we'll see.) I have an XM-L 3C bin which seems decent but a bit cold. The tint of the EagleTac D25LC2 NW XP-G2 is better to me (perhaps slightly too "warm") but the light still is not rich like an over-driven incandescent or more dramatically sunlight. If the D25LC2 NW is about 4300K, then the 4500K 219 might be just about right and I have hope that the light is richer. I guess I'll find out sooner or later.

What you are wanting is the beauty of the hi CRI Nichia 219. It does not have the color seperation problem that plagues the Cree XM-L and XM-L2 or to a lesser extent the XP-G and XP-G2. The hotspot and the spill are basically the same tint, and it is beautiful. Also, the separation of colors just pops out with this Nichia in a way that is like an over-driven incandescent bulb or sunlight. For example, I have had 4500K Cree XM-L2 and when looking at tree bark it washes out the moss and different shades on the bark. With the 4500K Nichia the color separation needs to be seen to be believed.

I have police uniforms that are called dark navy and appear black most of the time to most people. However, in the sunlight you can tell that it is not pure black but actually a dark navy. Well, the Nichia 219 reveals this, too. My neutral white Crees seem to wash out the difference. I, too, hate the different gradients of tint that the XM-L format produces. The hotspot is always warmer than the spill and the corona is a different tint than either the hotspot or spill! :banghead:

I have a Solarforce host with a Nailbender one mode Nichia 219 Hi CRI drop in. Now that I have this Eagletac I would be willing to sell it. If you are interested send me a PM.

Albert56

Newly Enlightened
I prefer CW LED's as they tend to have a higher lumen outputs for the power in. Unless one is using their flashlight to illuminate a movie set, I don't see the big deal about color rendition at all. I like my colors best in daylight.

Disciple

Enlightened
I don't see the big deal about color rendition at all. I like my colors best in daylight.

This seems self-contradictory. If you appreciate the color rendition of daylight why doesn't it matter to you when you are using a flashlight?

Onthelightside

Enlightened
I really want to get one of these but I am not sure how practical this light is because of its size.

RvD

Newly Enlightened
Can the MX25l3C compete with the TM26?
Has anyone compared these?

eff

Enlightened
Did anyone of you notice that the lower output on the 219 nichia version, is closer to 8 or 9 lumen than the claimed 19 lumen?
I was wondering if the other claimed ouputs were true or were a bit exagerated. What do you guys think ?

Last edited:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did anyone of you noticed that the lower output on the 219 nichia version, is closer to 8 or 9 lumen than the claimed 19 lumen?
I was wondering if the other claimed ouputs were true or were a bit exagerated. What do you guys think ?

Yes, it is lower than what is advertised which is a good thing for me. I had the SX25L3 with MT-G2 and it was the same on the lower mode, too. I think selfbuilt measured that to be around 3 lumens or so IIRC. I have compared my MX25L3 Nichia to my Thrunite Neutron and the low mode appears to be the same as the second lowest mode on the Neutron 1A. That is around 3 lumens, too.

Disciple

Enlightened
EagleTac is not known for exaggerating their maximum OTF (ANSI) lumens figures. I expect that the MX25L3C Nichia 219 will produce at least as much as specified. However, the given spacing of the lower levels are not always accurate so as reported there is likely to be some variability there.