*NEW* Fenix CL25R camping light,micro-usb rechargeable, max 350 lumens

Poppy

Flashaholic
thanks for the posts guys!

Can anyone tell me how this CL25R compares to the Streamlight Siege AA? I'm gonna buy one of these to gift for a non-flashaholic, but I'm still leaning heavily towards the Fenix CL25R
Hi tobrien,
A single 18650 has about the same capacity as three AA NiMH batteries. I don't think that 3 AA alkalines are equivalent unless... maybe... at relatively low drains. IDK.. less than 50 lumen output levels.

Since each has multiple output levels, and the run-times will be affected by which ever output one chooses, I imagine that they should be pretty comparable in output and run-times.

Generally speaking, if I am given the option 3*AAs or one 18650, I go with the 18650. But when gifting it to someone, you may want to consider if they will top off the 18650 (or a spare) periodically, or will it/they be DOA when he needs it? Hmmm, ok, come to think of it a dozen CR123 primaries can be a nice back-up.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Another observation I totally didn't expect. It appears to hum on med, high and turbo mode however not on low. Each mode has a slightly different hum. It's not loud but I was able to barely notice it when nearly asleep. I thought "indicator hum" was a thing of the past as haven't had a light produce it in years. This is something I could have done without in a lantern. Fortunately it's on the edge of my perception in a totally quite room a few feet away. Also I am not sure the magnet is really strong enough for the weight as it can start to slide down the fridge. It stops after under 6 inches and sometimes doesn't slide at all but not sure I would completely trust the magnet.

markr6

Flashaholic
Oddly I noticed nothing via cell phone/iPOD camera on low though it might be too low light to pick up. However can see the bars on all the other modes. Maybe someone more experienced in these matters might check. Not overly worried as can't see it in use but also wasn't expecting PWM if my observations are correct which might not be the case as never heard of a PWM on the highest mode of anything regardless of maker.

If you have a iPhone take a slow motion video! I did this last winter driving down the street with LED christmas lights (those look like complete S$!* to begin with IMO). Would think they were strobe lights!! I'm guessing that would detect any PWM on this guy.

Either way, thanks for the photos everyone. Looks like a winner!

AdamJo

Newly Enlightened
Here are a couple of quick size comparison shots to a 12oz can of Dew.

qinbUQM.jpg
[/IMG]
QdM2azY.jpg
[/IMG]

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another observation I totally didn't expect. It appears to hum on med, high and turbo mode however not on low. Each mode has a slightly different hum. It's not loud but I was able to barely notice it when nearly asleep. I thought "indicator hum" was a thing of the past as haven't had a light produce it in years.

The only light I have that has induction whine is a 4sevens Quark I bought about 1.5 years ago. (My other 4sevens lights are fine.) It's very annoying on turbo, but the other modes are quiet. So, it still happens once in awhile. AFAIK, it's not considered a defect, though I'm not sure why not.

On another note, is the tiny size of this lantern a problem with glare from it?

markr6

Flashaholic
On another note, is the tiny size of this lantern a problem with glare from it?

Remember using the Coleman gas lanterns? Everyone with one seemed to have a piece of aluminum foil covering 1/3 of a side. I'm envisioning something similar here if necessary, but without the worry of it catching fire!

Woods Walker

If you have a iPhone take a slow motion video! I did this last winter driving down the street with LED christmas lights (those look like complete S$!* to begin with IMO). Would think they were strobe lights!! I'm guessing that would detect any PWM on this guy.

Either way, thanks for the photos everyone. Looks like a winner!

I find the screen shot which shows an image before taking the pic works well to detect PWM. I am still surprised by this as I thought current controlled was more efficient and why of all thing use it for a lantern which would be the most distracting possible. Also people HATE PWM and that would harm sales one the news got out which it just has if I am correct. Granted I can't see it but some people are even more sensitive than myself. Maybe someone else should test for this as well to verify?

So far the Cons:

1. Possible PWM. If so why?
2. Humming sound. Again why? A lantern is the LAST thing you want to hum.
3. Small nick in the metal tube. Pure OCD on this one.
4. Questionable magnetic strength to support lantern. Update stuck to truck body better so maybe fridge is too slippery.
5. Very hard to work out proper polarity of battery when feeding. Update. Found a very small - and + indicator on tail cap.
6. Dry threads.
7. Glare on high mode but then again it's bright. No way around that one.
8. What is the purpose in a flashing red mode. Maybe a boating thing? Can't see the value in that.

Pros.

1. Tint is ok but wish it was warmer but good enough to be a pro. I think it's NW.
2. Came with battery.
3. Better quality USB cable than I expected.
4. Low mode is really nice.
5. Seems stable when standing.
6. It locks out.
7. Good mode spacing but wish for a 8-10 lumen mode as well.
8. I like the charging feature.

It needs a trip into the woods. :)

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
Just checked.. and mine hums too :( Don't hear it from a distance, but when up-close I hear it. Magnetic strength is decent. Have it hanging for two days now, in my room. Requires some force to take it down.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember using the Coleman gas lanterns? Everyone with one seemed to have a piece of aluminum foil covering 1/3 of a side. I'm envisioning something similar here if necessary, but without the worry of it catching fire!

Good point. However, I always hung the Coleman gas lanterns from a tree, where the glare wasn't so bad. Can you do that with this light, and still have illumination coming down?

Woods Walker

Just checked.. and mine hums too :( Don't hear it from a distance, but when up-close I hear it. Magnetic strength is decent. Have it hanging for two days now, in my room. Requires some force to take it down.

I first noticed it when dozing off last night. Left the light on at 50-lumens but there was a slight sound in the back ground. So low I couldn't work out what it was. Then looked over a few feet away on the bed draw top and dang. LOL! Does the other Fenix lantern do this? Too soon to tell if this will be an overall problem in future use as only have one night under it's belt but I totally didn't expect that issue. :shakehead Maybe I purchased too soon rather than wait for comprehensive reviews as is always my policy? Or maybe not, time will tell. The magnet will support the lantern but it can slide down the refrigerator a bit. Granted it's slippery.

Last edited:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I first noticed it when dozing off last night. Left the light on at 50-lumens but there was a slight sound in the back ground. So low I couldn't work out what it was. Then looked over a few feet away on the bed draw top and dang. LOL! Does the other Fenix lantern do this? Too soon to tell if this will be an overall problem in future use as only have one night under it's belt but I totally didn't expect that issue. :shakehead Maybe I purchased too soon rather than wait for comprehensive reviews as is always my policy? Or maybe not, time will tell. The magnet will support the lantern but it can slide down the refrigerator a bit. Granted it's slippery.

I didn't notice mine having noise until I literally placed it up to my ear so that is a non-issue for me. The only reason I put it up to my ear was because you guys were noticing some noise. My refrigerator is the only surface that my lantern slides on due to the textured and slippery surface. My lantern's magnet is strong enough to hang upside down from ceiling fans and I have to give it a good tug to get it off. I am also able to have it mounted sideways on other metal objects and still have to give it a good pull to release.

Woods Walker

I didn't notice mine having noise until I literally placed it up to my ear so that is a non-issue for me. The only reason I put it up to my ear was because you guys were noticing some noise. My refrigerator is the only surface that my lantern slides on due to the textured and slippery surface. My lantern's magnet is strong enough to hang upside down from ceiling fans and I have to give it a good tug to get it off. I am also able to have it mounted sideways on other metal objects and still have to give it a good pull to release.

It's just loud enough that the issue was discovered when trying to sleep. Now that it's known I will probably ignore it at bed time or maybe not. Time will tell. Oddly enough during the day there seems to be enough ambient noise in the environment that such a perception requires much nearer proximity for detection. She isn't a screamer like my TK20. LOL!

markr6

Flashaholic
It's just loud enough that the issue was discovered when trying to sleep. Now that it's known I will probably ignore it at bed time or maybe not. Time will tell. Oddly enough during the day there seems to be enough ambient noise in the environment that such a perception requires much nearer proximity for detection. She isn't a screamer like my TK20. LOL!

I have a couple lights that will do this on a mode, usually one step below the highest mode. I have freakishly good ears so I know it's there but usually doesn't both me. I can see it being a problem on a lantern though where you may just be sitting around not doing anything or reading.

Woods Walker

Just updated 2 cons:

4. Questionable magnetic strength to support lantern. Update. Stuck to truck body better so maybe fridge is too slippery.
5. Very hard to work out proper polarity of battery when feeding. Update. Found a very small - and + indicator on tail cap.