NEW Fenix TK11 XP-G R5 and TK12 XP-G R5 - 18650 - 285 Lumens

znmzdx

Banned
This two of flashlight are perfect for me ,I like it,and i have both of them.:thumbsup:
lovecpf

ToNIX

Enlightened
Still no issues nor problems encountered with both my TK12s:D however... yesterday morning, my 35W HID with 3500 Lumens arrived after clearing Customs and settling another €44 for import taxes since it arrived from the USA....
After a good length of over 13 hours initial charging, it tore the midnight hour last night like hell!!!:devil: WoW!!!!

What a blaster and the spill (40meters wide as from 10m distance) is spared to allow the throw more focus and target without any mercy even at 200 yards... holy smoke.:hitit:
Let me guess, you shipped it with UPS? If so, avoid this company like the plague for cross border shipments.

SemperFi

Banned
Let me guess, you shipped it with UPS? If so, avoid this company like the plague for cross border shipments.

On the contrary... it was delivered by USPS... damn!!! Actually, I loath USPS by far against the rest, slow and overpriced....for Sender.:thumbsdow

I requested it to be taken care-of by UPS but Tactical LEDs is a small biznuz... hence is all dealings on a tight budget too.

Anyway, I have a UPS account for my convenience, yes, sometimes their rates are not overwhelming subject to destination you see... but I get great service without denial by us... maybe, next time I offer no morning coffee when the chap shows up for collection and I'll see how his looks turn for the purple??? :devil:

I'll test this new nocturnal blaster someday with my new GPS camera on a tripod. Pictures will be added in the right forum and the link added in here.

Hacken

Enlightened
The TK11 has better regulation than the T20C2, mine does 3:12 with a single 18650 without changes in output. Low is 18 hours+

i have to agree with you on this one. the tk11 lasts much longer then t20c2 and i barely use it and i hate the DONUT hoe with the smooth reflector..

Last edited:

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
How come most of the discussion is on the TK12 r5? Anything more on the TK11 r5?
Runtime graphs etc...??
There has to be something special about the TK11 which makes it stay in the TK lineup.

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
How come most of the discussion is on the TK12 r5? Anything more on the TK11 r5?
Runtime graphs etc...??
There has to be something special about the TK11 which makes it stay in the TK lineup.

It's a different UI and personally the one I prefer. It's not fancy though there's just two modes. I guess there's not much to talk about.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a different UI and personally the one I prefer. It's not fancy though there's just two modes. I guess there's not much to talk about.
Sometimes simplicity is the best.
The more modes, the more likely the electronics can go faulty. This is something I always hear from others...

The TK12 may use a newer driver but IMO, the head design (and quad crennellations) is uglier and looks weaker than the TK11. Also it comes with three mode sequences with fixed modes, not as convenient as in the Quark Tactical (2x123/2xAA) series, which allows assigning any mode to any of the two bezel settings (tightened/loosened).

I've tried out someone's TK11 for a couple of days and find that the hi/low modes are more than enough. High (max) mode is a must for field use, while low mode is more than enough for indoors, but too low for general outdoor situations. Maybe this is something the TK11 loses out to the TK12, which has a 120lm setting that may be just bright enough for field use, without getting too bright.

dafeichu

Newly Enlightened
I received my TK 12 R5 with OP reflector last week. Haven't tested it out too much as I was on vacation and was busy with other duties but did try it out a bit. There are no rings and thankfully no dark spot at all. Of course the throw isn't as good as a lot of people like but I don't need it to light up something at 100 yards very often.

It took a lot of e-mails but I was finally able to locate one with an OP reflector. The only issue I had when I first got it is the mode and group changes were very erratic. The threads on the head were pretty dirty so cleaned it up and tested it and mode changes as expected now.

I would say the OP is about medium, not too heavy. This pic makes it look like a high OP.

03Jun2010_6716.jpg

I think I would like to have the tactical grip ring removed once in a while but of course there's no spacer ring provided like the TK10. Anyone know if the TK11/TK10 spacer ring will fit? I've heard the spacer ring does leave a bit of a gab though.

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my TK11 R5 XP-G today. I couldn't be happier with it. That beam pattern is infinitely better than that of my TK11 R2 XR-E version. That was the fly in the ointment about the R2. Ceiling bounce test reveals that the R5 is a little brighter than the R2. The hotspot is less intense though which is to be expected. I reckon that this is the reason that the R2 looks brighter to the untrained eye.

Interestingly, the low is lower on my R5 version than on my R2. R5 pulls 160mA and R2 pulls 290mA from 1 x 18650 on low. I'm pretty sure my R2 has an unusually bright low mode compared with others.

I'm getting the tiniest amount of PWM type flicker with the R5. We're talking very high frequency and not noticeable to 99.9% of the population except freaks like me (apparently I can pick up on PWM that no one else can see). Not a problem whatsoever as the only situation I notice it in is when I'm frantically waving my hand in front of it as fast as I can. I'm picking up a faint whining noise on low too but not loud enough to be a problem.

Last edited:

StEaLtH_

Enlightened
OMG, a TK12 R5 with OP reflector :eek:
I so want to have that, too bad the reflector isn't replaceable, well not without voiding warranty anyway.

dafeichu

Newly Enlightened
I just got an update today from a dealer that they could sell me a spacer for the TK12. Not sure if it's the same one as the TK11.

StEaLtH_

Enlightened
I thought Fenix only made one for the TK11. That one fits on the TK12, but it's too wide so it doesn't screw on the threads, but rather sits loosely on it. It works, but it's kinda meh :shrug:
Please let us know if yours is a correct fit on the threads or not.

snoop75

Newly Enlightened
I think I also have a similar problem to below.

When the light is not used for approx 24 hours and switched on for the first time the mode the flashlight starts in is quite erratic. At times it also kind of turns off for a fraction of a second, then back on. I usually use the light in low mode (9 lumens). However when I switch the light on after not using it for a day or so it will start in 9 lumens mode and then erratically / randomly change to another mode without me twisting the head or depressing the clicky switch - it does it on its own. If I depress the clicky switch on/off a couple of times (without twisting head) the light will change modes randomly and at times even end up in strobe mode. After the clicky switch is flicked on/off a few times the problem is not reproducible.

Have contacted Fenix for advice on what to do - will post back if I hear from them.

I discovered a new problem with my TK12 R5. Though minor, sometimes in the 65 lumens mode (only mode so far I have seen this in) the light goes out for a split second after which it comes back. Had this happen a couple of times now, but I can't seem to reproduce it, it just sort of happens.

Anyone else have this?

AVSECB2

Newly Enlightened
:confused: I hope my new TK11 was an anomaly, but the LED always stays on at a barely visible level. The only way to turn it off is to loosen the battery cap, but then the button won't turn on the light. Anyone heard of this problem?

ashe18c

Newly Enlightened
This happened to one of my 4sevens lights. I cleaned the threads, and it worked find after. The oil on the threads might be making contact with the contact ring on the head. Try wiping it down then screwing it back and see if it will work.