*new* Fenix UC40 rechargeable light

PANGES

Newly Enlightened
Seems like this would be a great gift light for parents, friends, etc. I want to get my parents more powerful lights, but I know they won't want to deal with 18650's, etc etc.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks interesting to me. I'm not going to buy one for the reasons mentioned here already (have my own charger and batteries, etc.), but it does keep things nice and simple. Maybe for frequent travelers this light would also be nice because you get the capability of an 18650 without having to bring along a separate charger and multimeter. Although how well can you trust this type of charger? I'd probably check the voltage all the time anyway.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Considering it has as well a charger and battery included and still the opportunity to use common 18650 and CR123s I think this is really a priceworthy light!

david57strat

Enlightened
whats the point of rechargeable small lights?
you get no water resistant and I can charge my 18650 myself 4 at a time.

A USB recharging feature can actually be handy, when out in the field. I have two 4-bay (Nitecore i4) chargers for my 18650 batteries, but generally am not EDCing them with me - but a micro-USB charging cable (for my Nitecore P25) - yes, all the time, in the same small nylon case as I use to carry my spare lithium ion exteneral battery and cable to charge my iPhone, if necessary.

At 450 lumens, it does seem a bit underpowered, though, for a single 18650 battery-operated light (as compared to their PD35, for instance). Maybe the next version of this light will offer higher output and a similar run time, along with the new charging feature they're touting.

As far as I know, all Fenix lights are IP-X certified - are they not?

david57strat

Enlightened
WHAT!!? i says on the battery pic " can only be recharged when fenix ARB-L1S batteries are used" and that your can use other types of batteries also... DA faQ!?!?! if thats true i will never buy another fenix light again..

I agree. My (Nitecore) is at home, in-light charging any 18650 battery. It shouldn't be necessary to keep the charging mechanism on a 18650 light so proprietary, that only their own specially-modified battery would be compatible. That's a big turn-off for me, aside from the low output of the light, itself (compared to other Fenix lights in similar price ranges).

For someone too lazy to buy a good 18650 charger, or who doesn't want to be bothered with the extra expense, I suppose this would be a draw; but for me, it's a deal-breaker, insofar as purchasing this particular model.

Don't get me wrong. I am not slamming Fenix. I own ten of their lights (in the E, PD, and TK Series), and I love every one of them. This one just doesn't float my boat, and I would be inclined to wait a while, until they design a version that accepts standard 18650 batteries, to keep my charging options, open.

So...I'm saying no to the UC40...but I still want a TK75.... :)

On a side note, when are Fenix going to design their CR123 lights with a working voltage range wide enough to accommodate 16340 batteries, as well? Not everyone likes dumping hundreds of dollars into primary batteries, you know.

Just a thought....

Last edited:

bram005

Newly Enlightened
Fenix UC40 is for me one of the best flashlights ever, never thought i would get this flashlight but easy carry easy usage and easy loading!

Last edited by a moderator:

Beckler

Enlightened
Great Christmas present for non Flashaholics that you want to give a quality light to.

I think this is a great point. It makes for a no-nonsense light that works like any other gadget that people are used to. Not everyone is a flashlight trekkie like those on this forum. :D

youlight

Newly Enlightened
more than a rechargeable flashlight, I think it is a good idea for outdoorman.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm... This honestly could be a PERFECT gift light to get people into high lumen / high power flashlights. Or at least be a gift light that does that without people being overwhelmed by new lithium-ion batts and chargers they aren't used to. I got my dad a Fenix E25 recently and he is blown away by how powerful/throwy it is for just a 2aa light. This would be a step up from that even and would be really easy for anyone to charge and maintain.

Heck... I really want one now :) I love that they give you the whole package so you don't have to worry about the battery or being able to usb charge when not using a computer.

I'll say it again... amazing gift light. It kind of is like a direct upgrade to a E25 actually as it's also a single rubber electronic switch light. Except the tail opens on the UC40.

Wavelength

Newly Enlightened
Definitely has advantages. I'm ordering one for my truck. I can charge it off the same charger as my cellphone, so don't have to worry about keeping another charger around, or about taking it out of the truck to charge it then forgetting to put it back in. Keeps things simple.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely has advantages. I'm ordering one for my truck. I can charge it off the same charger as my cellphone, so don't have to worry about keeping another charger around, or about taking it out of the truck to charge it then forgetting to put it back in. Keeps things simple.

Exactly... You can explain it to somebody who knows nothing about flashlights like this:

'IT USES 18650 BATTERIES AND THE LATEST XP-G2 LED..."

or like this:

'IT'S SUPER FREAKING BRIGHT AND YOU CAN CHARGE IT JUST LIKE YOU CHARGE YOUR PHONE!"

*EASY PEASY LEMON SQUEEZY* FOLKS.... We all love the super high tech stuff here, but sometimes you forget that simplicity of design and consideration for actual use and/or users is huge. This type of light is something my mom could use and she is basically computer/electronics illiterate. I could never see her messing around with 18650's and chargers etc. and doing everything properly.

EDIT: I will say as an addendum that you definitely should inform people about proper use of lithium-ion and single use lithium cells even with a light like this. The fact that it can be used with primaries still could be of concern. Just make sure people know not to do dumb stuff like put a nearly dead cr123 in with a brand new one for example.

Last edited:

Infinite Zero

Newly Enlightened
I picked up a UC40 today from my local shop. Once it's done charging I will post a few photos and beam shots.

Having never owned a Fenix E25, E35 or E50, the single side clicky interface will take a little getting used to.

Last edited:

Infinite Zero

Newly Enlightened
This isn't the most scientific of photo sets, though I did lock the exposure of my iPhone camera for the beam shots.

Low
VpEwo8d.jpg

Medium
bN1e0js.jpg

High
6EfUdgm.jpg

Turbo
KXn6sL3.jpg

With PD32 Ultimate Edition
iw5YkI5.jpg

In hand
lhxpVIJ.jpg

LED & reflector
gOdHDSL.jpg

Micro USB port and charging indicator
EmTn3jg.jpg

markr6

Flashaholic
WOW, looks like it has a quite large hotspot! I like that!

That's what I was thinking too. It even appears the photo was taken at a pretty close distance, likely confirming this. I like it!

....aaaaaaaand we finally have a TAIL STANDING light again from FENIX?? :clap:

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's what I was thinking too. It even appears the photo was taken at a pretty close distance, likely confirming this. I like it!

....aaaaaaaand we finally have a TAIL STANDING light again from FENIX?? :clap:

A lot of their recent lights can tailstand: E25, E50, E35, and now this. I would like to see them make some again similar to the original LD20 that had a tailcap and could stand.

Enterich

Newly Enlightened
My question is this: couldn't they make this so that it simply used and charged 18650 batteries, lose the Fenix ARB-L1S battery, just keep it simple with 2 battery types. That way it's a USB 18650 charger.

If this can't be done for whatever reason, Fenix should at least make the ARB-L1S battery available as an optional accessory.

Otherwise, you'll be buying a separate 18650 charger and batteries at some point down the line. Like when the ARB-L1S battery is dead.

Latest posts