New Inova XO updated @FR - As good as it gets!!

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
The old XO is only getting renamed to XO2. It will still be available. The old X1 was canned because of sales demand. From what I hear out of Inova, none of the other models will be discontinued. Inova said that they recognize their TIROS customers would accept nothing less. They said their T series, XO3, and X5 still have excellent sales, so no chance of them going away anytime soon.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sub Umbra...I think it's a smart move on Inova's part. After all, they didn't do away with the old version; they just re-named it the XO2. A lot of folks (myself included...) DIDN'T like the TIROS version. I found it's usefulness to be VERY limited due to it's lack of sidespill. Now there's a "flavor" to please just about everybody! And as far Inova lights are concerned, IMHO, they have enough features and quality to keep their niche in the market whether they're using TIROS or reflector...

PJD

dmz

Enlightened
I think making their newer, mass appeal lights is the right business decision. They probably figured out that there is a limit to the amount of profit from selling narrow spot beam flashlights. There are a lot of 2 CR123 1 watt flood beam flashlights out there but very few have the build quality, design, reliability, durability, and affordable price as the Inovas.

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
sort of not OT....but the TIROS ring-y beam caused me to sell my XO3....great light, but outdoors at night, it was like an archery target light beam. I am intrigued by the reflectored 5 hr RT XO...

Drew

Newly Enlightened
I love my T3 TIROS. Mine has a perfectly clear hot-spot the rings are all on the outer perimeter. Also I have no trouble using my Inova for up-close lighting tasks. Besides, the ring-y beam always gets a lot of complements. Everyone I know says it reminds them of Saturn.
If anyone questions the brightness just flash them in the eyes once, or better yet let them hold the light. It never fails they will flash themselves everytime haha. Long Live TIROS!
:rock:
Now I do like the idea of running a reflector system. As long as there is still an option of the TIROS in a similar model.
I will have to add one of these to my collection. It is true, there are very few flood beam lights with the build quality of the Inova's especially at the price point.

steve_vance

Enlightened
dmz said:
I think making their newer, mass appeal lights is the right business decision. They probably figured out that there is a limit to the amount of profit from selling narrow spot beam flashlights. There are a lot of 2 CR123 1 watt flood beam flashlights out there but very few have the build quality, design, reliability, durability, and affordable price as the Inovas.

One of the things that has made us CPFers unique is our dedication to LED lights. Remember when the average Joe had no clue what an LED light was? We were the keepers of a secret treasure. But now that's all changing. Like it or not, LEDs are creeping into the mass market at an ever-accelerating pace. In one way, that's sad, because they're not our "secret treasure" anymore. But I believe that not only is it inevitable, in a way it's why CPF really exists.... to promote this technology and make it accessible to almost everyone. So.... that being said, it's inevitable that even the really high quality manufacturers of LED lights will begin to "mass-marketize" their offerings. This is appropriate, as LEDs creep more into the mainstream. I was at a Police Equipment trade show recently; man, LEDs were EVERYWHERE. Bottom line: I believe this is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Just my two cents.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
This light looks incredible. 36 lumens for over five and a half hours of perfect regulation. Hard to believe that this light hasn't blown up all over CPF. I can't think of a light that can compete with this for the price (or any price for that matter).

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lots of good info on this thread. I'm pleased to hear that the XO won't be killed off. This could be a win win for INOVA. One of the things I've always liked the most about their products is that they are all so slick. They are tough, they probably look better (to my eye, anyway) than most other mass marketed lights and on top of all that, the price is low.

As long as they make high quality, slick products that they may sell at affordable prices they'll probably do well.

Illum

Flashaholic
dmz said:
The new XO looks fantastic. Very few places seem to be carrying it aside from brightguy.com. When did it come out?

Beats me...
its not even posted on Inova's site

Outdoors Fanatic said:
The "old" style is now called XO2. And claimed to be a 2w. It is my favorite too.

Its my first luxeon light, before I became obsessed with this site

adirondackdestroyer said:
This light looks incredible. 36 lumens for over five and a half hours of perfect regulation. Hard to believe that this light hasn't blown up all over CPF. I can't think of a light that can compete with this for the price (or any price for that matter).

36? how do you know?

INOVA advertized the old XO to be 32 lumens, but I had someone here verify that it only outputs 25-28 lumens

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illum_the_nation said:
Beats me...
its not even posted on Inova's site

Its my first luxeon light, before I became obsessed with this site

36? how do you know?

INOVA advertized the old XO to be 32 lumens, but I had someone here verify that it only outputs 25-28 lumens
36? how do you know?

According to the latest review @Flashlight Reviews, the new Inova XO is rated at 35+/- lumens:

Overal Output: 24.00 X 1,43 = 34,32

That's more than the Surefire E2L for half the price, with more than twice the runtime, plus, with even better regulation! This light has no competitor. I have no idea why most Inova lights are very underrated in this community.

Ken 222

Newly Enlightened
The Batteryjunction web site shows 32 lumens. (Link is in post #17) Close enough for me. I'm gonna get one asap. I really like the lights I have that take the CR123A Lithium batteries. I'll try some of those $1 "Tenergy" batteries at Batteryjunction when I get the Inova.

Ken

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
has anyone ever added flupic to an Innova?Seems like itwould be a great flashlight.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outdoors Fanatic said:
I have no idea why most Inova lights are very underrated in this community.

they just dont put out enough light IMHO.

-David

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
In reference to Inova...
Originally Posted by cheapo

-David
Outdoors Fanatic said:
Well, neither does Fenix lights.

No...? I think they're very respectable. I think the output is exceptional for what they are. I love my LxT's and my P1. :touche:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
cheapo said:

-David

According to Quickbeams scale this light puts out almost 35 lumens. That is alot of light and is good enough for most situations. I think the Fenix lights put out a good amount of light as well.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lite_me said:
In reference to Inova...

No...? I think they're very respectable. I think the output is exceptional for what they are. I love my LxT's and my P1. :touche:
With the exception of the P1, all the other Fenix lights are well beneath Luxeon Inovas when it comes to overall output, not to mention the quality. Yet, they don't seem to be that popular around here, it must be some sort of a chinese fetish...