*new* Klarus BK30 Bikelight

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks interesting. I have been using 2 headlamps on my bike. one pointed closer and the other further up ahead. Hopefully there is enough room to swing the side lights without the handlebars getting in the way. A 4 18650 battery pack ?

keithallenlaw

Newly Enlightened
With those many lumen and run times, yes, 4 it needs to be.
Hell, my 3yr. old BikeRay with a single led claims 900 lumen
and it's a 4 cell. 4 cells over 2 on a bike is not a noticeable
weight I'd consider.

A 4 18650 battery pack ?

Mavik

Newly Enlightened
Looking like after the snow falls in North America? Not many people will be riding.

I have not been able to find a release date for this light either. Be really interested in buying this, looks like a great light.

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the ULTIMATE light but needs a bit of work, I emailed Klarus and asked them to add a short remote bypass cord.

I recommend this 110%

a) the light head itself and main button functions is awesome

main beam has INSANE throw, cool white

b) the side beams are high CRI and since they can be set to low and
aimed down, this is amazing way to ride the street back and forth to the trails and see what is on the road and not blind traffic

c) On trail running any combo of beam is awesome. I stuck to medium/medium but could have run high center/medium sides. don't even need the side beams but they are pretty damn nice

d) REMOTE

get over it, it sucks. it doesn't not duplicate the main button functions, it will turn off any side beams and all you can do is flash them. unacceptable, I want a remote that emulates the main buttons, this one is different and restricted modes. junk to me

e) remote extra cord. you cannot bypass it without soldering up your own system. so I nylon tie wrapped it up into a ball and now have to hold it down with my awesome strap. I asked klarus to provide a pigtail remote bypass and then this light would really rock.

f) main power input is the standard magicshine size so if 2x3600 mah doesn't give you enough runtimes (olight sells true 3600mah) you can add any pack you want

--------------
SUMMARY

for riding, no better light bar NONE !!!!! it is because the side lights can be aimed, and the side lights are HIGH CRI, I say this. if the side lights were cool white I'd not be raving about this

LIMITATIONS

2x18650 you might want mo powah. with 2x3600mah I rode three hours no issues.

remote is useless to me, so I balled it up in a pile and tuck it away under my awesome strap.

-------------------
this light head and it's actual function blows away anything i have seen or tried, and it has tons and tons of throw

YES I think I have the perfect light now

----
there will be no full review from me or any extra comments from me on this,
I race MTB in the woods is how I ride, which means fast on tight trails in pitch black woods
...and this light RULES (except the remote is garbage and it's be nice to bypass the extra wiring)

what matters it how it lights up and ...they nailed it !!!

Last edited:

User1

Newly Enlightened
I'm surprised these guys haven't put up a video in English yet. The video was dated July of this year. Things work this slow now in our fast-food world?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
kj2, can you find an English version of that video? I would have deleted it if I had caught it earlier. CPF is an English speaking forum.

Bill

Flashlight Enthusiast
anyhow they nailed the light head part

I already cut off the remote and soldered up a short connection to get rid of the extra cord

I been emailing klarus back and forth and they might reprogram it so the
remote emulates the main buttons better, but they won't say if they will provide a shorter
cord to bypass the remote.

I have mine all set.

cut off remote, keep the 4 pin connector to head and 2 pin connector to battery pack

solder battery feed [red/black] to main light head [red/blue]

yellow/green on main light head is remote control inputs

redorblack

Newly Enlightened
I just got one of these lights off Amazon and when I checked out the cost was $59.39 with a promotion... in stock, 2 days and after installing I completely agree with everything you said. I've been riding for decades and the only light I imagine I've had that might match this was a Niterider HID that weighed about 5 lbs with the battery that was the size of a brick. The strobe mode is freaking insane to the point of probably being dangerous. I was comparing beams with my 15watt 4 led lamp I got off Luna Cycle to run off my BBS02 53v battery pack and it smokes it on high. The side beams are quite usable, the projection of the main lamp is superb and while comparing beams about 15 feet from the window I accidently found the flashing modes... strobe being the first and most insane. It pulses fast and then slower and seems to vary in intensity quickly like a SuperFlash tail light on steroids that was then subjected to gamma radiation and finally made mad... it blinded me from the reflection and left spots in my eyes. This is a weapons grade light and can literally be used as one... not because you can hit someone with it, but because you can hit someone with the beam and they will be disabled. I'm not sure just how dangerous that strobe mode might be riding after dark. There is also an SOS mode which is rather slow and seems pointless, although it consumes much less power. The space between pulses as it changes letters means it's useless if you need to light at night. If you just want to be seen, maybe? Can't see myself using that mode.

I had a couple of old Magicshine 4 cells battery packs left over from some lights that broke, and while charging up the 2 batteries that came with the light and charger, I found out one of my Magicshines fit the connector and that is what I just used for testing. The metal case for the 2 cells they supply is real metal and looks tough. I'll probably carry both so I can swap out as needed.

I hope giving the Amazon Prime price isn't a violation of some sort, but I initially was hemming and hawing over buying another $100 lamp when I decided to check out and that $39.60 promotion made it a bargain for such a powerful well made looking lamp. So much so that just before writing this comment, I just ordered another one, not sure if I'll be duel weilding these weapons of the night, or putting the second one on another bike.

Scott