• Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Telephony I like the new look of your site. Brightens things up a bit
smile.gif

http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/zone.htm

LiteFreek

Newly Enlightened
I much prefer the old look myself. Maybe put the new background leds in a dark grey on black background. Now for some reason it reminds me of a "flowery be happy" web page. Not that that is a bad thing. Just doesn't fit a flashlight web page in my opinion. Also the light green text is kinda hard to read against the blue background. No offense Telephony, just my 2 cents.

-The local LiteFreek

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Darklite:
Craig, all I know is you must have gotten some high-level complaints, because I like the old look better.
..just my 02/100
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I liked the old look better too, but some people in high places beg to differ.

I'll probably get a whole new rash of complaints now, but that is to be expected anytime you f**k with something that's already good.
frown.gif

All that's left to do is go hunt down all the errors my scripting program introduced, then retire for a long winter's nap.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LiteFreek:
Also the light green text is kinda hard to read against the blue background. No offense Telephony, just my 2 cents.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Light green text?
Ick!!!
Where?!?!?

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thepaltx:
Hey Telephony, your text on http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/zone3.htm shows us all white on a white background for me. Anyone else have this problem?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not quite white, but it is VERY light blue on white. Unreadable, yes.

KenBar

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by txwest:
Originally posted by thepaltx:
[QB]Hey Telephony, your text on http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/zone3.htm shows us all white on a white background for me. Anyone else have this problem?
I just thought it was a ghost in a snow storm.
lol2.gif
TX
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same for me....
If you "Select" all the text on the page like you were going to cut and paste, you can see it.... The title is also pale yellow ??

My screen is 1024 X 768 and it fits great!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thepaltx:
Hey Telephony, your text on http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/zone3.htm shows us all white on a white background for me. Anyone else have this problem?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'VE BEEN WORking on it around the clock, uploading patched pages approximately every five minutes since midnight.

Most likely, something was introduced by the global search and replace script I used to do the bulk of the changes.

O well, just one more thing to add to my "Fix It" list.

Please see http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/whatsnew.htm for any updates.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
For those following...The site is now about half done. I'm moving to a scrollable left frame format. It's the best thing I can do to help navigation without having unintelligeable pages loaded with Java that I'd probably f**k up the next time I tried to add something 'cause I don't know Java.
smile.gif

So if you liked that color coded menubar on top, kiss its butt goodbye. It just doesn't have the capacity to link out to 200+ pages of stuff.
frown.gif

Technical aspects: Static left side menu frame, width 240, vertically scrollable.
Dynamic right side data frame, size limited only by user's screen width, scrollable as needed.

None of the data pages will *need* to be changed, though a few may be reformatted for cosmetic reasons; so don't expect too much funny business that way. And no down-time either.
The real time-waster for me will be typing in links to all the data pages onto the menu page. No search & replace utility can do that for me.
blush.gif

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just one point, Mr. Curator.
You say on one page, quote:

"FOR THOSE WHO PREFER REGULAR FLASHLIGHTS"

This is prejudicial!, against those who prefer irregular flashlights. (Like those new-fangled LED thingies.)

I myself am learning to love LED's as well as Incandescents, and the notion of preference, one versus the other, is against my principles ...

How about substituting:
"FOR THOSE WHO COMPLEMENT FLASHLIGHTS OF ONE KIND, SAY, INCANDESCENT, WITH ANOTHER TYPE OF ANOTHER KIND, WHILE KEEPING AN OPEN MIND ABOUT THE ISSUE OF ILLUMINATION IN GENERAL"

It's a little wordy, but you see what I mean ......

lightlover
blush.gif
rolleyes.gif
shocked.gif
smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Here's a preview of the new format.

thumb1.jpg

All that's essentially left to do now is fill in all the selections for the menu, and I'll have a more professional looking website.

The page in the big right frame in this picture will probably also be gone, replaced with a combination "home" and "about us" type of page. Gives people someplace to start.

Chris, your concern is also noted.
Though the text is not scrolled, there in the left menu it now says "INCANDESCENT, FLUORESCENT & HID FLASHLIGHT REVIEWS"

The "If you prefer..." line will be all but gone by the time I've finished with the website.

(edit)... The new format went up shortly before midnight, and is now being tested.
Looks like it works so far though.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Craig, before you go any further you may like to take a look at something that may not be quite right...

As a self confessed Geek, I notice things normal people wouldn`t- like the fact that the main body text on your new pages was coming up in my browser`s default font when before, it was mostly in Arial. This could mean 3 things-

1. you hadn`t specified a font in your new format`s code.
2. you`d specified a font I didn`t have on my system, or mis-spelled one that I do have.
3. your new set font is Courier (which is what I have set as my browser default)

I looked at your page code (cos I`m nosey as well as a geek) and spied what I think is a mistake. Here`s just one of your many font tags-

font face="Veranda" size="3" color="#102020"

Should that not be Verdana?

Everyone now point at me and shout "NERD!"

rolleyes.gif
shocked.gif
tongue.gif

DArklite

Enlightened
Craig, all I know is you must have gotten some high-level complaints, because I like the old look better.
..just my 02/100

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris M.:

font face="Veranda" size="3" color="#102020"

Should that not be Verdana?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey... I just spelled it the way my computer spells it. And it comes out fine on my computer, using both Netscape and IE.
If everyone else's computer spells it differently though, who knows what fond they'll get. :x

Sorry for those who hate the new look.
I just got tired of all the complaints.

(Edit) 3 minutes later... now uploading 204 "fixed" pages. That should take around 15 minutes, then check the site again.
blush.gif

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like it Craig-

When I first started designing websites, I used a lot of black backgrounds - thought it set a "mood" nicely...

But I found after a while that no matter what colors you used for text on a black background, it caused eye strain.

No big deal on a lot of websites that are there to just "make a statement" but when you have a lot of informational content like your LED site and most of my sites, you should make it easy on the eyes of your "customers".

I like your change to frames too- makes it easier to find specific things and to casually surf too.

Despite the naysayers, I think you are wise to make the changes.