Sofirn D25S headlight .. first look

3_gun

Enlightened
Bought this on a whim. Didn't really need one but for 5 levels, 70L low to a claimed 1200L high for $17 shipped w/18650 3000mah battery, what the heck. It shipped from the USA quickly in very simple packaging & with just as simple instructions. A quick charge (abt 75min) to 100% & let the games begin. First off this is strongly a flood light with a sharp, broad hot spot up close that fads to a VERY broad hot spot with a fringe of spill at distance. The effect is noticeable at all output levels but the distance varies. Overall I find it close to ideal for the uses I'd imagine using this headlight. I do not think this would be a good biking light unless you ride at a leisurely pace, as a jogging light, much better, as a walking the dog/taking out the trash light 5 stars. The claim is 70 low, 120&300 mediums, 600 high & 1200L turbo plus a couple of blinkie modes I didn't use. I'd guess they're off by about 20% at every level as compared to a light of known outputs. Still even with the light I was using for comparison being much more a flood than throw light it has better reach at all light levels. This isn't a bad thing as I'd be reaching for the headlight for use at distances much closer to a "hands free" like zone. Here the outputs being a bit down is not a bad thing. I'd guess low is good for about a 25-30ft work zone with high reaching out to 200ft. There IS glare at the higher levels so I'd plan on using a ball cap with the light at the higher two levels for sure. The light seems pretty well built, I even noticed what looks to be cooling fins running the inside length of the body. Didn't really work the light hard enough to judge run times or heat build up. Quick clicks turn you on/off while a steady press move you thru the light levels once on. The head angle adjustment is easy enough with a decent range & no sign of slipping given a quick bounce or two & a couple of on/off cycles. The light does have a memory so you'll start up where you shutdown. Double clicks will start you off in strobe mode with a single click taking you back to the saved level. Overall I'm very happy with my "whim" purchase. I'd classify this as more a handyman/utilitarian style light over a sport light which is what I was mostly hoping for when I ordered. I can see this being very useful resetting breakers, loading the car in the early AM, walking the dog, etc.

I'll call it 4/5 stars and reserve to right to modify the score if needed. Honestly I think non flashlight nerds would not believe such a light exists at any price much less at under $20. I've penciled this and the Klarus EP10 in as possible Xmas gifts already. Both seem to be solid, inexpensive lights that will blow away just about anyone who's not a member of this board

bugsy714

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where did you pick it up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bugsy714

Flashlight Enthusiast
https://sofirnlight.com/products/d25s-rechargeable-headlamp-with-battery-ship-from-usa

The link used for my order. It shows 3 left at this posting/reply.

I bought three looks like they keep saying three are left in stock don't know if that's a marketing ploy or maybe the limit with the deal but for $46 these will be great for leaving around the house

On a sidenote if you get over $50 you get 10% off so find something as a filler if you're going to get three of them wish I would have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3_gun

Enlightened
Used this now about a dozen(+) times & just now getting to the first recharge. 99% of my run time has been on the first two levels (70&120L) Only charging because the battery checked in at 3.2V when tested. Can't say for sure but I doubt I've ever run the light for more than 30min at any one time. Have never noticed any dimming or heat build up. Single band head strap has worked well so far. Hasn't really had any challenges thrown its way. I get the feeling run times may not be great for a 18650 light working at below 150L but honestly I haven't been keeping records & have not tested its run time on any level.

First impressions holding up really well. Nice light, great price & much more a hands free or hiking light. Don't think the headband would be up to much active/violent movement.

Still a solid & trouble free head light. Still 4 outa 5 stars

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great find, 3_gun! That is a great deal.

I have been using the Sofirn D25S headlamps for almost 2 years, and they have performed without issue. I have one on my hard hat for work, and another that I use at home. I even attach it to my lawn mower when it gets dark, and I have some lawn to do. For the money, they are hard to beat.

I agree with your 4 out of 5 star rating. The headlamp is a bit heavy, and doesn't sit on the head well with the supplied head band. Any movement has it moving around a bit too much. On my hard hat, it is not an issue as I am using a rubber strap to keep it solidly in place. I typically use a ZebraLight for most tasks at home, but when I need more light I break out the Sofirn.

3_gun

Enlightened
With a bunch more use my 4 outa 5 star rating is holding solid. Been using this on 70L as I've worked around the house to chase away shadows & blind spots from the work lights. Run times are good at the low level I've been using, a recharge every couple of days or so, still I'm not really sure the battery is 3k/mah as claimed. Had to cut back the bill of an old ball cap & use a couple of clips the get the light to really display the light I wanted/needed & stay in place at the same time. Cheap n easy but if you plan to use the light for long periods of time you may want to do something similar. Comfort is greatly improved over just using the straps. Really nice headlamp for the cost. My use has been far removed from hard so I can't really speak to how well it will hold up to weather & drops but it's claimed the be 1m drop & ipx4 rated. Well worth the cost at this point, kinda wish I'd gotten a backup before the price got over the $20 mark