Need recommendation for headlamp for First Aid Kits.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got off the phone with Black Diamond. NONE OF THEIR HEADLAMPS ARE MADE IN THE USA! So, BD is eliminated.

We definitely need an official embargo on PRC-made products, the competition is unfair. What were we thinking when we allowed them to flood our country with cheap imported goods? The decision makers sold out the nation.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not with you there but I have other concerns.

I like Rey, he has a great story and Wuben that makes his products was so kind to one of our forum members. Then there is Nitecore which I'm friends with one of their reps. Fenix is solid lights.

I found a US source selling Reylight because I didn't want to wait 6 months on shipping from China, only it is a gov supplier, GSA, etc. etc. Well what about the Berry Amendment, though? I mean I went through with the purchase but these items don't belong in official supply chains when we have domestic or NATO producers of similiar items.

Here is the thing if you like US made buy American. Go buy a Surefire or Princeton Tec headlamp then tell the other company they lost a sale.

China isn't bad they just export a lot of crap. They also overprice their premium goods because they know if you are going to buy them you will pay even more just to get a good product. They are not to blame if companies are greedy or too inept to build a product domestically.

tradesman

Newly Enlightened
You probably can't sterilize the straps that accompany typical headlamps. That would require certification of a procedure. It would probably require autoclaving (steam pressure which you could replicate in a pressure cooker), ethylene oxide treatment, or gamma irradiation. (Don't try these at home.)

You will have to settle for sanitization or disinfection. There are basic chemicals or chemical groups used for disinfection, phenols, halogens (including hypochlorite bleach), quaternary amines (quats), peroxide and alcohols. You choose based on what you are trying to kill. Forget phenols. Anyone remember Lysol? It is not so commonly available anymore and they've changed the formulation. Just forget about it. There is a key word that you can look for, tuberculocidal. I am not sure of the current (OSHA or other) regulations, but it used to be that any cleanup of materials potentially containing blood-borne pathogens using tuberculocidal agents is OK. There are disinfectants that are not tuberculocidal , but OSHA-approved for bloodborne pathogens. Note that any disinfectant must be used on CLEAN materials. Soil of any kind can interfere with killing the pathogens.

Bleach is nasty. It is probably the most dangerous material commonly found in households. It quickly wrecks a lot of organic stuff like natural rubber and synthetics. It would probably be OK with limited cycles so OK in an emergency kit.

Alcohols have their own problems, flammable and volatile. You need 70% ethanol or isopropanol. Ethanol is less toxic to humans, but denatured ethanol maybe not since it has added stuff to make you sick. (Lots of formulations out there, hundreds if not thousands. I once had a 5 gal can with, among other things, had gasoline added as a denaturant. The revenuers controls these things.)v Isopropanol does not evaporate as fast and with any of these things you have to have contact for 10 minutes. (The EPA approves disinfectants and their procedure mixes the stuff 24 hours before testing and uses 10 min contact time.)n They don't clean in any way and are not tuberculocidal.

Then there are quaternary amines. That is what you will find in, probably, any and all cleaning agents on the grocery store shelf. Trouble is, they are probably not tuberculocidal. but there are tuberculocidal quot products and you an probably order on line. I use Decon Labs
BDD™ (Bacdown® Detergent Disinfectant)
Easy peasy, not terribly toxic or irritating, cheap, and probably won't hurt the straps. Just dunk them for a half hour agitating now and then, rinse well and dry.

Hydrogen peroxide will also work, but I'd go with a quot product.
Thymol is a very good disinfectant and is available in several wipes. Seventh generation is one brand.

Last edited:

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well with communists you don't have I.P. or patents or copyright. This doesn't bother me though as you should make a high quality good designed product and not rely on a gov to protect your idea. People or companies that do good work stay in business.

Customers seek out high quality work. Rolex is the most copied product in the world yet they manage to stay in business because the customers want the real product.
This is why the 4Sevens ultra popular Revo flashlight, cutting edge of the day was discontinued.
Peace
GL

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Princeton Tec EOS. 300 lumens. The ones I've had in the past had warmer tint l.e.d.s. It's regulated and can use lithiums without damage. One of the only Princeton Tec lights built to last. Quad develops a crack in lens after some use pressing the button. Remix/ Remix Pro battery clasp breaks after awhile. The only things that I've seen kill an EOS are leaky batteries and using it during a flash flood on Mt. Whitney.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Princeton Tec EOS. 300 lumens. The ones I've had in the past had warmer tint l.e.d.s. It's regulated and can use lithiums without damage. One of the only Princeton Tec lights built to last. Quad develops a crack in lens after some use pressing the button. Remix/ Remix Pro battery clasp breaks after awhile. The only things that I've seen kill an EOS are leaky batteries and using it during a flash flood on Mt. Whitney.
They list at $54.99 MSRP, that is about twice what I was hoping to spend, but I may just have to. Thanks for the advice.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
It all boils down to each and everyone's requirements and an individual appreciation for the light that is marketed.
I have come to appreciate the cutting edge offerings of Prometheus/Foursevens HCRI offerings, over and beyond
the foreign based manufacturers. I have experienced first hand far too many IP theft and marketing of IP technologies in
my +10 Year days, hereon CPF, and also BLF . I say consumers should due diligence in their purchasing decisions, and
make their US based purchases to support US based Companies. I do not appreciate anyone else's views, that have not
been directly impacted, or has supporting unsubstantiated facts as I now submit. You all, CPF members, now fall under,
those that support US based and those that compete with..

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
It all boils down to each and everyone's requirements and an individual appreciation for the light that is marketed.
I have come to appreciate the cutting edge offerings of Prometheus/Foursevens HCRI offerings, over and beyond
the foreign based manufacturers. I have experienced first hand far too many IP theft and marketing of IP technologies in
my +10 Year days, hereon CPF, and also BLF . I say consumers should due diligence in their purchasing decisions, and
make their US based purchases to support US based Companies. I do not appreciate anyone else's views, that have not
been directly impacted, or has supporting unsubstantiated facts as I now submit. You all, CPF members, now fall under,
those that support US based and those that compete with..
I was under the impression that Four Sevens was a PRC company. Not familiar with Prometheus. UK is a US company that makes their products here. Not sure why the rant here.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I compared the PT EOS with the UK Vizion2, both are close in price, but, I'm really leaning to the UK Vizion2.
Go to brightguy.com and get the EOS Industrial. Comes with both cloth and rubber strap. It's $47.48. May want to get more from the site to get free shipping over $60.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go to brightguy.com and get the EOS Industrial. Comes with both cloth and rubber strap. It's $47.48. May want to get more from the site to get free shipping over $60.
Right now I'm sold on the UK Vizion2 for this application. It has all kinds of safety ratings, and I like the UI and the features over the PT EOS.

For normal outdoor use, I might get the EOS if I didn't already have a PT Apex. If it dies, I might get an EOS.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any light that is good enough for camping would be good enough for a first aid kit. do not pay much attention to cri, or kelvins, you wont be doing any surgeries, for what an average user of a first aid kit does, any good camping light will be ok, worry more about that light be ready with a full battery when you need it. i'm thinking rechargeable light is not the best thing for this particular purpose, cuz it may sit on a shelf for years, then one day you will need it right away, and a rechargeable cell that self discharged to 0, or to almost 0 will make your light useless, which may seriously complicate situation.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any light that is good enough for camping would be good enough for a first aid kit. do not pay much attention to cri, or kelvins, you wont be doing any surgeries, for what an average user of a first aid kit does, any good camping light will be ok, worry more about that light be ready with a full battery when you need it. i'm thinking rechargeable light is not the best thing for this particular purpose, cuz it may sit on a shelf for years, then one day you will need it right away, and a rechargeable cell that self discharged to 0, or to almost 0 will make your light useless, which may seriously complicate situation.
Since I am on the CERT, I may have to administer first aid in hazardous conditions. The UK Vizion2 is intrinsically safe rated, the EOS is not. The Vizion2 also has a diffuse setting, and a red setting, which the EOS does not have, and you can remove the Vizion2 from the mount and use it as a work light. See the web page:

It would be kept with AAA Energizer Lithium primary cells, no worries for depleted RC cells.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was under the impression that Four Sevens was a PRC company. Not familiar with Prometheus. UK is a US company that makes their products here. Not sure why the rant here.
Apologies,
"UK" has been an abbreviation of "United Kingdom" or England, and have not heard of the company previously to your reply.
47's, 4Sevens, or now FourSevens was based in Tucker, GA, USA. They were handed off to Jason the owner of Prometheus Lights,
"Dark sucks".com whom was also a dedicated US based fabricator and designer of flashlights located in Mountain View, California.
Foursevens was one of the original founding companies here on CPF. They are also here on CPF V.2.
I was not aware.
GL

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
UK in our context is underwater kinetics, an american company, lights made in usa

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apologies,
"UK" has been an abbreviation of "United Kingdom" or England, and have not heard of the company previously to your reply.
47's, 4Sevens, or now FourSevens was based in Tucker, GA, USA. They were handed off to Jason the owner of Prometheus Lights,
"Dark sucks".com whom was also a dedicated US based fabricator and designer of flashlights located in Mountain View, California.
Foursevens was one of the original founding companies here on CPF. They are also here on CPF V.2.
I was not aware.
GL
My first awareness of Four Sevens was on nutnfancy's evaluation videos. My impression was that they were being manufactured in the PRC. Whether they are or are not, I still don't know. There are a lot of US based companies that design and engineer their products here, but have them manufactured overseas, I just recently found out Black Diamond is one, and of course, Streamlight's parts are made in China and assembled here in the USA. I understand Zebra is a Texas based company but their products are made in China. If Four Sevens/Prometheus Lights are actually manufactured here in the USA, I would like to know.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
UK in our context is underwater kinetics, an american company, lights made in usa
Underwater Kinetics,
This has made my responses seem irevillent, and or unwarranted.
I only wish anyone could have posted a url, and or the complete company name,
Not misleading abbreviations without an explanation. This has lead to an O'ltimer,
of myself to be a dink.

All Prometheus custom lights are made here in CA, USA. Here's his Youtube Channel.

I will be more than happy to discuss anyone's concerns or questions via PM, to not
interfere with this thread. It is the right thing for me to do and offer.

Last edited: