New Photon Rex beam shots

ama230

Enlightened
The other thread on this that was going over accessories was removed as there was no advertising or links?

Anyways here is my initial thoughts on the mini light canon. Also I am not affiliated with any dealer or am a dealer. I am a light collector so please don't remove this, pretty please.... I love this companies products and thought I would share my thoughts.

Specs -

4 x Nichia GS K1 C0W warm bin leds
Lumen - 40+
Charge time - Approx +1hr on aa faster with a new and larger less than 3v battery.

Run time on low - 149hrs @ 1-2 lumens tested it before this post
Run time on high - 1hr then again the battery has not been cycled as this was on the first initial charge. So there is some progress to be made.

Thoughts:

This thing is small and light and feels fake since it has a li-ion battery inside. The charge is really easy to use and straight forward.

Having the Run time it did on a rechargeable coin cell is astounding @ 6+ days as it has room to improve at this is the first charge on it as it'll get better as time goes on, which is awesome....:party:Also had used it few times on high and this took a lot of life from the battery as this thing is bright as I would compare this to my Maratac AAA on high at less than 40 feet, which is pretty crazy but the flood with ample throw is a perfect combination for a light this size and weight. Don't know how they do it for less than 20 bucks.

The UI is the same as a photon freedom and is really easy to use and really handy. The glow in the dark button is the same a xlight micro and also has glow in the dark rubber around the leds to help with water resistance, which is clever as I initially thought it wasn't.

Price - It is available at multiple retailers and I usually use the one with the best customer service, which happens to be BJ.:eek:oo:

Accessories - They now released after a year and a half a solar panel and headband combo for the same price as the light itself but is still worth it since it has an internal rechargeable battery.

So with the light and this accessory pack it will be the ultimate in versatility and there is no other light out there that has these rich features in size, price and quality.

Now on for the beam shots as there have not been until now...

Stating: I have all the light three feet from the wall and the wall is white. Also all the pics are 800x600

I am using an

Icon Rogue 1 Cree XR-E(1 x Tenergy AA 2300mah LSD),

New Photon REX(new charging circuit and battery, GS k1 C0W Warm leds)

Fenix E01 old version with cool bin gs k1(1 x Tenergy 1000mah AAA lsd)

The last light is a Maratac AAA XP-E Q5(1 x Tenergy 1000 mah lsd)

Icon Rogue 1 on HIGH(left) Photon Rex (Middle) Fenix E01(High as its a single mode)(Right)
800x600IMAG0139.jpg

Icon Rogue 1 on LOW(left) Photon Rex (Middle) Fenix E01(High as its a single mode)(Right)
800x600IMAG0138.jpg

photon%20rex
Maratac AAA XP-E Q5 on HIGH(left) Photon Rex (Middle) Fenix E01(High as its a single mode)(Right)
800x600IMAG0137.jpg

If there are any questions or comments or what ever else you would like to add please do as this is a forum for exchanging information so be extra generous.

Also this light rocks for the money it costs and you could charge this light via any single aa or aaa cell solar light from wally world or anywhere else. A aa old fashioned solar light will do but id be weary of the charging voltage as it might be over the 3v max the rex needs. This is a cheap 3 dollar solution and works great as the ones from wally world are amorphous and are going to work a lot better in all light conditions(sun up til sun down or cloudy days) vs the monocrystalline panel one that the new kit comes with.

I have the older one too as they were having problems with the charging circuit as it was over charging the internal li-ion battery and causing it to just stop working. Also the older ones are the cool bin that match the same tint as the old Fenix I have up on here but with all four leds shinning the beam is pretty uniform anyways. Also like to have every version of a light i love to have variety...:sssh:

I'm for sure the run time is better with the new battery and the tint is more pleasing to those who desire a warm tint of a 5mm led. Also i would assume it would charge a lot more accurately as it was a hit and miss with the old version by most of the posts on here as there are no positive comments on this rugged and versatile light.

To state I have had no problems with the old and new ones i have and absolutely love this product. This definitely deserves space in a Bug out bag or any survival situation as the light lasts 6+days on the first initial charge on low, which is crazy as with a AA and this light would give you almost a month of light on low. This rivals other lights out there that are 3-4x more expensive and with the solar panel, which i am assuming its a mono-crystalline panel it would give you a lot of light for a long time with little coin.

Also if i haven't mentioned it, Photon has one of the best warranties and top notch customer service as i haven't had to call them but matt from battery junction always takes care of their customers, ALWAYS. That's number one in my book and will only go through them for my photon lights and batteries.

I can guarantee its the best 17bucks you'll spend as its 100% dim-able, water resistant and its rechargeable. The only thing it can't do is be big in size but for performance it sure fooled me as i was always used to cheap key chain lights. Photon is a solid product as the only thing i would like to see is a Photon freedom type rechargeable with a single led for replacing the coin cells and being ultra small. I have one on my neck and would be awesome to have it recharge by the same interface as the Rex but smaller of course. It would not only increase run time but be Eco friendly at the same time.

Thanks for the kind comments guys as it much appreciated as well leave the 50-100$ lights do the heavy duty stuff.:devil:

Thank You,
Eric

Last edited:

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great light! Can't wait to get the recharging package with headband.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
My son has one, but it needs to be sent in for repair. He turned it on, it strobed until the battery died, and now nothing. Photon has great customer service so it isn't a big deal, just something weird that happened. He enjoys the light and usually wears it on a chain. I have thought about one, but I prefer the small size of a regular Photon, the Rex is a little big for me. :)
Now my Photon Proton I use like crazy.

ama230

Enlightened
is there a new version of the Fenix E01 that i have missed Eric?

The new version has the warm emitter of the GS K1 C0W bin which is the same warm bin as the new freedom or rex. Its for sale at fenix.com or other stores as most don't state it. No electronics were changed just updated to the new emitter.

PhotonLight

Newly Enlightened
My son has one, but it needs to be sent in for repair. He turned it on, it strobed until the battery died, and now nothing. Photon has great customer service so it isn't a big deal, just something weird that happened.

Yes, that's definitely a warranty issue. Is this a new ReX (i.e. last few months) or older? Just curious, as we've seen very few issues at all since LRI upgraded the ReX battery. Anyway, definitely send it in though.

bullterrier

Enlightened
The new version has the warm emitter of the GS K1 C0W bin which is the same warm bin as the new freedom or rex. Its for sale at fenix.com or other stores as most don't state it. No electronics were changed just updated to the new emitter.

thanks

i goto buy one

ama230

Enlightened
thanks

i goto buy one

I could be wrong...
Please do a review as I would like to see one of these as they are very solid lights and would not mind to pick up a couple more as I have the originals.

Im pretty sure the old one uses a nichia ds or a gs cool version. Please someone help confirm this?

Last edited:

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, now I'm getting another light. OP, thanks for nothing. :) :) :)

Actually, I remember thinking this light was interesting sometime back, but seeing some complaints about it and simply forgetting about it. That said, if it's now currently performing as advertised and is reliable, there are a lot of good things about this light: nice performance in a small package for very little money, rechargeable off any handy <=3V source in emergencies, coming soon ability to top off via USB nightly.

If the bugs are really worked out, I can't figure out a reason why I don't absolutely need this light right now, actually!

Joe

gorn

Enlightened
My son has one, but it needs to be sent in for repair. He turned it on, it strobed until the battery died, and now nothing. Photon has great customer service so it isn't a big deal, just something weird that happened. He enjoys the light and usually wears it on a chain. I have thought about one, but I prefer the small size of a regular Photon, the Rex is a little big for me. :)
Now my Photon Proton I use like crazy.

I've had a Rex for a year or so. It died and wouldn't take a charge. I called LRI and was told that there was a battery issue with the older models. I sent it in and a couple of weeks later it came back in a nice case. It works like a champ. I will be ordering the solar charger soon. Great product that is used all the time.

mzil

Enlightened
Anyone know of beam shots comparing a Rex to a single LED (and non-rechargeable) Photon Freedom? [or Micro Light II, for that matter]

scott

Enlightened
The Rex has always been one of my favorite lights. Now that I have the USB/solar chargers and the very useful head band, I'm love'n it even more. Great light! (And great review!)

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Has anyone tried the new solar/USB chargers with an old Rex? I'm a little concerned that the greater than 3 volt inputs might not be agreeable with the old battery.

Geoff