New Thread on Kai 3W Cree (Elly--Elite)

Melven

Newly Enlightened
I am so getting tired of waiting for mine from Kai! Lots of you have yours and I am still waiting, well I guess as soon as I quit worrying about it, it will be in my mail box.

Must be patient!
Must be patient!

HarveyRich

Enlightened
I'm thinking of converting some of my (10) Cree'd Elly's back to original led.

Cree'd just too bright for some night-time wanderings.
That's funny. I'm keeping a couple or few in the original low light format for exactly that reason--very light retro.

gorn

Enlightened
Three ELITE's arrived in the mail today. It appears like the quality control team was on vacation the day these left the factory. None of them worked right out of the box. I had to mess with the reflector housing to get any of them to come on. One has threads that are so bad you can rock the lens piece back and forth and it comes off. On another one the PC board for the LED isn't screwed down tight so the whole thing moves back and forth.

The bottom line is that I didn't expect much from a $9.49 flashlight and I got exactly what I expected, not much of a flashlight. These will be the lights I lend out to others.

HarveyRich

Enlightened
gorn: that's too bad. I had two "Elite" from Kaidomain a couple of weeks ago both had some issues which were correctable fortunately, but it was a bit annoying. Two more arrived from DX; they have their name engraved on the side. Both of these are working perfectly. I wonder if there's a quality control difference between the two companies in sending out these lights or if it's just random?

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had some Elly's from Kai and finally had a chance to play with them (my DX ellys are sitting at the post office...). A couple were dim, one didn't work. Based on the old Elly I remembered that the negative terminal on the LED needed to be grounded to the body. It turns out Kai did this by connecting a solder blob from the negative to the rim of the heatsink (which is aluminum... solder doesnt adhere to aluminum) I instead soldered in a wire to the negative on the LED, then wrapped the wire around one of the screws that held the emitter down. That right there eliminated all flickering problems and increased the brightness of all of the lights.

I also replaced the reflectors with Cree optics -- Kai sells them $10 for 10 (I bought them elsewhere in a group buy). which really makes for a much nicer beam pattern than the cheap reflector -- more of a floody central hotspot than a concentrated hotspot with rings and bright spill.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've started replacing the negative contact through the screw with small solder tags, in reverse, with the larger hole cut off.

Much better.

Be nice to see beam comparison between original Elly reflector, and replacement one, with Cree if possible.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had mine from Kai for about two weeks. Had to ground the LED better to the body like everyone has to. My switch broke. The metal groove in the tailcap for looks or installation of the rubber boot seems to be too thin and it cracked like an egg. Still worked but not boot over the button. A Mini Mag (Nite Ize) tail swtich fits but is a little wobbly fitting. A Garrity 2AA cheapo tail switch fits nicely and doesn't put as much pressure on the back of the battery so it won't dent in a NIMH cell, the spring is not as stiff.

So far it is still on the first battery, NIMH Energizer 2500 and my Rat Shack tester still has all seven bars lit. It is only drawing about 750ma at the battery.

I like it so far.

axolotls

Enlightened
Just got around to modding mine using the instructions in this thread and the links.

The clickie is the only thing I think that is the weak point.

I did snip the blue wire and just did a jumper between the screw and the (-). For $9.49 plus whatever the 14500 cost, it's a bargain and a half!

HarveyRich

Enlightened
Originally Posted by axotlatls: I did snip the blue wire and just did a jumper between the screw and the (-). For $9.49 plus whatever the 14500 cost, it's a bargain and a half!
Good job. Amazing beam for the $, eh?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Just got my Elite from Kai yesterday ... and it doesn't turn on. Exchanged switches with another Elly, and confirmed it's not that. Looks like the problem is at the emitter - they just tried to extend the solder blob from the blue wire at the (-) terminal so that it just touches the aluminum frame. Obviously didn't quite make it - this is even worse than the old method of running a wire to the holding screw.

I would fix this myself with a proper jumper, but there's a bigger problem - the head (with lens/reflector) won't screw down. The head fell off as soon as I opened the package - seems to a thread depth issue on the body. The new head screws on fine to either of my old two Elly lights, but neither of those heads will catch the threads on the new Elite. Tried thread tape, but no help - won't screw on, just wobbles loosely on top of the emitter. :thumbsdow

Sent an e-mail to Kai last night, I'll let you what their response is. I suppose I could keep it for spare parts ...

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good job. Amazing beam for the $, eh?
Yeah. IMHO it gets even better using Kai's 10 for $10 optics in there. The thing project a wall of light that is more useful IMO. Once I improved the contacts and grounds it seems to running fairly strong -- draws about 1.4A from a NiMH cell and delivers healthy output.

axolotls

Enlightened
2xTrinity said:
Yeah. IMHO it gets even better using Kai's 10 for $10 optics in there. The thing project a wall of light that is more useful IMO. Once I improved the contacts and grounds it seems to running fairly strong -- draws about 1.4A from a NiMH cell and delivers healthy output.

Do they fit inside the Elite head?

gorn

Enlightened
One of the Elite's I got from Kai is screwed up exactly like yours. I sent Kai a email a week ago and i'm still waiting for a response.

selfbuilt said:
Just got my Elite from Kai yesterday ... and it doesn't turn on. Exchanged switches with another Elly, and confirmed it's not that. Looks like the problem is at the emitter - they just tried to extend the solder blob from the blue wire at the (-) terminal so that it just touches the aluminum frame. Obviously didn't quite make it - this is even worse than the old method of running a wire to the holding screw.

I would fix this myself with a proper jumper, but there's a bigger problem - the head (with lens/reflector) won't screw down. The head fell off as soon as I opened the package - seems to a thread depth issue on the body. The new head screws on fine to either of my old two Elly lights, but neither of those heads will catch the threads on the new Elite. Tried thread tape, but no help - won't screw on, just wobbles loosely on top of the emitter. :thumbsdow

Sent an e-mail to Kai last night, I'll let you what their response is. I suppose I could keep it for spare parts ...

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do they fit inside the Elite head?
I installed them in all my Elites (yes they do fit) In fact an even wider optic could theoretically fit (and allow for a little bit better throw, though I like the semi-flood beam), but the elly head is the perfect size for the optic inside the holder, without needing any sanding. The fact that the threading is so deep means you can snap the optic into the little holder, set that on top of the emitter, then screw the head down until it all comes together.

axolotls

Enlightened
2xTrinity said:
I installed them in all my Elites (yes they do fit) In fact an even wider optic could theoretically fit (and allow for a little bit better throw, though I like the semi-flood beam), but the elly head is the perfect size for the optic inside the holder, without needing any sanding. The fact that the threading is so deep means you can snap the optic into the little holder, set that on top of the emitter, then screw the head down until it all comes together.

OK. Thanks. I'll give it a go on another Elite I have. is it easy to pull the stock reflector out without any special tools (I saw the two rings in there they use to push it in).

Unlike most ventures here, this is such a wallet saver :)