NEW XTAR DRAGON VP4 Plus analyzing charger

PapaLumen

Enlightened
% readout instead of V, don't like that. Will it only charge a 3s lipo through the balance leads? That's going to take quite a while...

ven

Flashaholic
% readout instead of V, don't like that. Will it only charge a 3s lipo through the balance leads? That's going to take quite a while...

I was hoping you could swap the % and the V read out, if not then its pretty much a deal breaker.............V readout is one of the most important factors in a charger for me.

david57strat

Enlightened
$136 USD is just crazy.

There's an XTAR Direct store, just five minutes away from me. I'll have to drop in and ask them when they might be expecting this model.

On another note, looks like they're going to be carrying the Mec Army stuff, too. When I walked in, some days ago, to buy a pair of ANT-MC1 Plus chargers, I saw some window display racks, but the didn't have any product, yet. May have to take a look at some of those products (when they're available), to satisfy my curiosity :D.

markr6

Flashaholic
I was hoping you could swap the % and the V read out, if not then its pretty much a deal breaker.............V readout is one of the most important factors in a charger for me.

I'm wondering, could you just do a test while charging and measure the voltage with a DMM and record the %...then assume they would always match? Or is it (I'm assuming) not that accurate? For example, when the charger says 80%, measure with a DMM. If it says 4.08v, then you know 80% always equals 4.08v.

ven

Flashaholic
I'm wondering, could you just do a test while charging and measure the voltage with a DMM and record the %...then assume they would always match? Or is it (I'm assuming) not that accurate? For example, when the charger says 80%, measure with a DMM. If it says 4.08v, then you know 80% always equals 4.08v.

Would not be accurate enough and would vary per cell imo. I am hoping its an option to change on screen..............HOPING.

kaptain_zero

Enlightened
Yes, Lithium Ion and such cells are not linear in their power delivery. Voltage does NOT indicate capacity, nor the other way around.

Based on the expected price, AND the poor mock up photo, I'm out.... I ordered an SV2 which will round out my collection of chargers for now. *IF* the price on this charger turns out to be significantly lower, AND it functions as good or better than expected, I might consider one..... But, at this point.... I'll go with what I have + an SV2.

Regards

Kaptain "Back to searching for obscure Li-Ion cells in Canada" Zero

markr6

Flashaholic
Yes, Lithium Ion and such cells are not linear in their power delivery. Voltage does NOT indicate capacity, nor the other way around.

Why do we always measure the voltage then and have that readout on chargers? I always followed the chart that says generally 4.20=100%, 4.10v = 90%, 4.0= 80%, etc. It's been good enough for me. For newer batteries. I understand it's not liner and much different for an older 2000mAh cell.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Why do we always measure the voltage then and have that readout on chargers? I always followed the chart that says generally 4.20=100%, 4.10v = 90%, 4.0= 80%, etc. It's been good enough for me.

There is a variable and that is the mah, as 80% or say 2600mah is a different voltage to 80% of a 3500mah if makes sense.

You could get a rough idea, but imho why should we with a $130 charger...........crazy!!!

markr6

Flashaholic
There is a variable and that is the mah, as 80% or say 2600mah is a different voltage to 80% of a 3500mah if makes sense.

You could get a rough idea, but imho why should we with a $130 charger...........crazy!!!

That makes sense. Getting off topic, but I guess using a 2000mAh cell in a Zebralight would make the battery check useless then? I wonder what they used to calibrate that. 3400mAh as a standard? Same with any flashlight with a voltage test.

ven

Flashaholic
That makes sense. Getting off topic, but I guess using a 2000mAh cell in a Zebralight would make the battery check useless then? I wonder what they used to calibrate that. 3400mAh as a standard? Same with any flashlight with a voltage test.

I am presuming it will go off actual voltage rather than mah but that is a presumption. 3.6v of 2000mah and 3.6v of a 3400mah is still 3.6v if makes sense, just the 3400mah cell will have more mah getting down to 3v V the 2000mah cell.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
i hope that prob set up is not accurate because if you want an accurte IR measurement with probles, i think you are going to need a 4wire system, unless then allow for some calibration.

kaptain_zero

Enlightened
I just got a promotional from Xtar. It included a small picture that shows the charger from various sides. Looks like they are only accommodating 3cell packs so it won't be useful for most hobbyists who usually have 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 cell packs they use on a regular basis.

I have a few cells, but mostly I run 2 cell packs and I can series them to 4 and 6 cell packs. If a single pack or cell fails, I can just replace the failed 2 cell pack which is a LOT cheaper than replacing a 6 cell pack that has one failed cell in it.

So, most serious RC type hobby use... it's out. For accurate voltage measurements, I seriously doubt it will match my Fluke 87Vs.

For analyzing, I think I'll stick with my Powerex 9000 for NiMH and my iChargers for everything else, they have been rock solid over the past 5+ years.

I did order an SV2, and I have a D4 + two Powerex 9000s, not to mention two iCharger 106B+ chargers and.... well.... I already have enough.

OK ya'll say, "just get on with it"..... Here's the photo:

backplane.jpeg

Regards

Christian

david57strat

Enlightened
I just took a look at the XTAR Direct website, and evidently, this is still a pre-order item, with expected product availability in mid-October - and the official price is, in fact, $90 USD. That's a little step for me, but I'm still considering it.

Last edited:

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
the official price is, in fact, $90 USD.
i am sure you will can get it cheaper from Banggood and Gearbest, they have special offers, sales, coupons all the time!

in any case you're getting XTAR quality with distributors all over the planet.

$90 is the new price level of feature-laden chargers.

should be good!

PapaLumen

Enlightened
I just got a promotional from Xtar. It included a small picture that shows the charger from various sides. Looks like they are only accommodating 3cell packs so it won't be useful for most hobbyists who usually have 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 cell packs they use on a regular basis.

Apart from not catering for 2s,4s,5s,6s If it only charges through the balance leads then 500ma is about the fastest you could charge it. Going to take ages on a 7000mah 3s lipo..

ven

Flashaholic
I use 2s anyway(like my toys to last a little longer and fast enough anyway for my uses), but even if i used 3s(compatible with the castle motor), i would still use the hobby charger anyway............can have up to 6a if needed although i stick with around 3.6a on my packs.

Latest posts