• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

New Year SPECIALS! Custom P60 XML 1000 Lumen Drop in Warm/Neutral/CoolWhite

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeekingtheLight

Newly Enlightened
Re: vinhnguyen54 Custom P60 1000 Lumen Drop in

What a great way to wake up on a Sunday morning!

I'll take my surprise (#4). I also look forward to setting up my new drop-in (just arrived) in my bored 6P host later this week, reporting back, and ordering more once I get my hosts sorted out.

Thank you Vinh. You are a gentleman.

donn_

Flashaholic

I'll take #1. Just ship it with my dropins when they're ready.

:thanks:

PS...what emitter is in #1?

Last edited:

tlyon1022

Newly Enlightened

Hello all, what batteries are you using with the 4.2A DD dropins? I measured my amperage at the tailcap today, and I seem to only be pulling about 1.17A. This is with an OLD TrustFire Flame Wrapper 18650 rated at 2400mAh.

Does anybody have suggestions on how I can increase the amperage? I'll get new batteries if need be, but I though it was odd that this battery will push 5.4 amps when tested with an Ammeter, but only 1.17ish in the light itself. I also measured the resistance provided by my host and tailcap, its only like 2 ohms. Not that much lol.

weklund

Enlightened

I am no expert but I am running my Vinh drops on protected Redilast 2900 mAh and they have great output and runtime.

Hello all, what batteries are you using with the 4.2A DD dropins? I measured my amperage at the tailcap today, and I seem to only be pulling about 1.17A. This is with an OLD TrustFire Flame Wrapper 18650 rated at 2400mAh.

Does anybody have suggestions on how I can increase the amperage? I'll get new batteries if need be, but I though it was odd that this battery will push 5.4 amps when tested with an Ammeter, but only 1.17ish in the light itself. I also measured the resistance provided by my host and tailcap, its only like 2 ohms. Not that much lol.

Last edited:

tlyon1022

Newly Enlightened

I am no expert but I am running my Vinh drops on protected Redilast 2900 mAh and they have great output and runtime. Do not use any "IMR's".

I think I'm going to get some AW 18650-2900's and see how they do. Would you mind measuring your amperage at the tailcap for me? I'm just wondering if all the 4.2A drop-ins run at like 1.17A or if my batteries just suck. Lol.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

My name is not on the waiting shipping list. Can you please add it?

Your drop was shipped. Sorry I forgot to add your name for the drawing. But I will add it now and there will be another drawing tonight! :)

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

What a great way to wake up on a Sunday morning!

I'll take my surprise (#4). I also look forward to setting up my new drop-in (just arrived) in my bored 6P host later this week, reporting back, and ordering more once I get my hosts sorted out.

Thank you Vinh. You are a gentleman.

I think you will like number 4. Jut remember to run IMR cells in it! :)

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

I make all the drop in to pull around 5A just by itself. With the host, springs, tailcap, and all other possible resistive elements. The drop in should pull around 4-4.5A. It should initial pull around 4.5A and drop and settle to about 4-4.2A for a while. I used to use a solid brass pick up in place of the spring, thicker wires, no thermal injection, different PCBs, no aluminum wrap, different solder, Different LED bonding material and different method of LED centering and clamping and I got worse results. The initial amp draw would be like 5-5.5A to the point where the LED almost turn blue But then output would drop quickly due to heat and excessive current. Long story short. I found out that even the cheapest cells should be able to push 2.5A. If you are getting 1.17A then there is definitely a defect somewhere. Your multimeter leads might not be thick enough to registered the ampere. My multimeter could only read up to 2.5A until I custom leads were made with some thick wires and now it can read about 10A.

Does your light appear bright at 1.17A? 1.17A shouldn't be very bright at all. If it still appear bright then the problems reside eleswhere. If you want you can mail it back to me for trouble shoot. If its defective I will replace it. :)

I am also sure most people drop in does not pull 1.17A. :)

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

I think I'm going to get some AW 18650-2900's and see how they do. Would you mind measuring your amperage at the tailcap for me? I'm just wondering if all the 4.2A drop-ins run at like 1.17A or if my batteries just suck. Lol.

I am 100% sure all my 4.2A does not run at 1.17A. At 1.17A you would only get 550Lumen and that wouldn't be much brighter than an XPG-R5

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Repeating...to be sure you saw the question.
I replaced the emmiter with one of the XRE I have in my LED bin. It's either a Q5 or R2. I really don't know. :)

tlyon1022

Newly Enlightened

I am 100% sure all my 4.2A does not run at 1.17A. At 1.17A you would only get 550Lumen and that wouldn't be much brighter than an XPG-R5

OK, well when i get my hands on an AW 18650-2900 I'll let you know if it still only pulls 1.17A. I gave it a go with an AW protected 17670 that's supposed to only be for my A2L, and the current jumped up to 1.6A, with a super noticeable brightness increase. I don't really know what to make of this. I hope I didn't get a Dud drop-in, but I am in no way suggesting that yet. I have some other stuff to troubleshoot. I'm going to swap it into a different host to see if that could be the issue for some reason.

EDIT: So I swapped complete hosts and tailcap in all combinations and still I'm only pulling 1.17A with the Trustfire batteries. For the moment I'm going to say that my batteries are shot and get my hands on some AW 18650-2900's. You're post about the 1.17A only giving the same brightness as an XPG-R5 made me remember that I have an old solarforce XPG-R5 dropin hiding in a drawer, so I got it out and ran it and your 4.2A XM-L right next to eachother. You're completely right about them being the same, the only difference I saw was that my XP-G dropin has a horridly green tint to it. I'll let you know if the new batteries don't fix the issue.

Last edited:

edgarv

Newly Enlightened

i am planning to mod my G2Led, does any of the drop-in you are selling fit my bezel? does option 3:  2.8A Regulated 2 Mode L-H 3-6V Max fit my requirement? thank u...

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Don't stress it too much. If there is a defect I will replace it for you :)

OK, well when i get my hands on an AW 18650-2900 I'll let you know if it still only pulls 1.17A. I gave it a go with an AW protected 17670 that's supposed to only be for my A2L, and the current jumped up to 1.6A, with a super noticeable brightness increase. I don't really know what to make of this. I hope I didn't get a Dud drop-in, but I am in no way suggesting that yet. I have some other stuff to troubleshoot. I'm going to swap it into a different host to see if that could be the issue for some reason.

EDIT: So I swapped complete hosts and tailcap in all combinations and still I'm only pulling 1.17A with the Trustfire batteries. For the moment I'm going to say that my batteries are shot and get my hands on some AW 18650-2900's. You're post about the 1.17A only giving the same brightness as an XPG-R5 made me remember that I have an old solarforce XPG-R5 dropin hiding in a drawer, so I got it out and ran it and your 4.2A XM-L right next to eachother. You're completely right about them being the same, the only difference I saw was that my XP-G dropin has a horridly green tint to it. I'll let you know if the new batteries don't fix the issue.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

I do not have a G2 so I am unsure. my drop in fit all P60 host that I know of. You can go ahead and buy one. If it doesn't fit feel free to return for a full refund. :)

tlyon1022

Newly Enlightened

i am planning to mod my G2Led, does any of the drop-in you are selling fit my bezel? does option 3:  2.8A Regulated 2 Mode L-H 3-6V Max fit my requirement? thank u...

I have a G2....
Any of them will fit with an older P60L based G2L, but I can tell you that any of these drop-ins are a bad idea in a G2. The Plastic body doesn't allow for heat dissipation, so you will either fry the drop-in or melt the body (or both). If you remove your G2L's bezel, is the lamp assembly removable from the bezel, or is it attached? The earlier G2L's used a P60L drop-in, which is removable just by tugging gently on the big spring. The newer G2L's use a KX4 conversion head, and the LED unit is not removable from this head.

naked2

Enlightened

G2 is a plastic host and will not dissipate heat. Nitrolon will not melt though; I've ran a WA 1185 in a G3 on 3x IMR16340 without a problem.

Last edited:

edgarv

Newly Enlightened

I have a G2....
Any of them will fit with an older P60L based G2L, but I can tell you that any of these drop-ins are a bad idea in a G2. The Plastic body doesn't allow for heat dissipation, so you will either fry the drop-in or melt the body (or both). If you remove your G2L's bezel, is the lamp assembly removable from the bezel, or is it attached? The earlier G2L's used a P60L drop-in, which is removable just by tugging gently on the big spring. The newer G2L's use a KX4 conversion head, and the LED unit is not removable from this head.

thank you for your reply...i have 3 G2s, a G2 Nitrolon and a KX4/KX4D head...
will try this on a Z44 bezel though...

Status
Not open for further replies.