NexNeedle 5-Watt - Shipping Starts Monday

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
See 13th post...
We are underway. Here you can see the modified bulb sockets with their little red and brown tails waving merrily in the air. They know they're going on a nice, bright ride:

fcb57f3f.jpg

Note the stacks of laser-cut aluminum heatsinks in the background.

The backs of the NexStar reflectors have been cut down and the holes reamed out, to allow the lenses and top half of the SE Luxeon bases to pass up and through so that the optimal focal point can be attained. Here they are sitting on a towel air drying after the dust and debris from the sawing and sanding were washed out, using 72 bottles of Evian Natural Spring Water (Not!):

fcb57f3e.jpg

Just thought those of you who are waiting so patiently for your 5-watt NexNeedles would like to know. After all, these things take time, and true to the MR Bulk mantra:

"We will sell no (insert Bulk mod here) before its time."

Heh heh...

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
Thanks for the update, Charlie. Now this just adds to the already mounting anticipatory anxiety as I await the final product. When this creation finally arrives at my doorstep, my hands will be trembling, knowing that they will be wielding the power of a 5W Mr. Bulk creation.
smile.gif

PS: This will be my first Mr. Bulk mod, but I'm not worried as the testament of others on this board seem to be full of nothing but good comments.
Ed.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
What? You didn't tell these guys I bought the first hundred? They'll be waiting 'till Christmas for theirs!

Just kidding.........Nice work Charlie!

RickLux

Newly Enlightened
You did use pure spring water to clean my reflector didn't ya? I mean you did right?
The excitement is building !!! I am going out to polish my mailbox right now!

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Thanks for looking in, guys. My fingers are sore, my back is sore, my eyes are sore -- I need a vacation!

And I probably Will take a break after this...almost getting to be not fun any more, and I wouldn't want that.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Charlie -

I suspect that some of the fun you have is in knowing how much fun others have talking about and owning your creations. There maybe more fun associated with your offerings than you may know. Some of the people I work with make fun of me and call me Professor Flashlight. I like it. Some of them even tell thier friends and family about "Flashlight Boy".

Then things like this happen: A co-worker shows me an article in a geek magazine that states that any modern tech is behind the curve if they aren't carrying an LED with them. A LEO asks me for the link to get a MadMax. The Database Administrator asks me for the link to CandlePowerForums. The advanced technology guy trips out when he sees the LGI in candle mode. A regulatory guy interrupts a programming meeting with, "Does anybody have a flashlight?" and can't figure out why fourteen people burst out in laughter. I really have fun then; not for the obvious reasons. I am amused that they all don't know that in the world of flashaholics I'm a lightweight.

These are just a few instances of "ripple effect" fun that I have seen. Maybe other members will post more experiences involving "ripple effect" fun. If it hasn't happened yet, I'm sure that soon, somewhere in this world, two people will meet. They will discover that they both have modified lights. They will both discover that they too are flashaholics. They will compare beams. They will have fun. They will clink flashlights and toast the unknown person that invented their lights.

Too all the ModMen: All your strained eyes, headaches, abrasions, cuts, scrapes, burns, contusions and electrocutions project a great deal of global fun to take place.

Mr. B, if this appeal for you to continue making brilliance available is not motivation enough I'll have to play "Bad Cop" for a moment. With some training received from some other members (I won't say who but one of them has a name that rhymes with @rt) I have identified one of your supervisors. You really can't quit. Just a friendly reminder...there are eyes watching you.

beholder_hovering_md_wht.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by whiskypapa3:
I just got the sweet young thing at our Post Office convinced my green laser is a death ray, wait til I show her the NexNeedle!!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Careful she doesn't turn you in!

Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Icebreak:
Charlie -

I suspect that some of the fun you have is in knowing how much fun others have talking about and owning your creations.....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Icebreak,

Really excellent and enjoyable post.

Brightnorm

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Icebreak,

A highly lucid post, thanks.

S4MadMan,

I apologize, but all NexNeedles have been taken, mainly because all the donors have been committed. If you have your own NexStar or perhaps something else that you think might work with a 5W Luxeon, please e-me.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
First batch undergoing final testing before shipping next week. They will be sent in order of payment receipt:

fcb3235c.jpg

Catdaddy

Enlightened
Guys,
If these LEDs turn out as nice and WHITE as the one Charlie made for me (ok, I bragged about it already in another thread) you are going to be blown away!

WARNING: After viewing this torch, ALL of your other LEDs are going to seem dim, off-colored, and suffering from low voltage fatigue.
shocked.gif

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
e=mc2

I had wondered the same, but recall that Charlie posted about using cut-off sections of plastic hose as a sleeve on other 123 in C mods.

I presume we'll each receive a slightly shorter than 4" piece of hose.

The PVC pipe I've found at Home Depot that just fits a 123 on the inside is too wide on the outside for a C flashlight. Charlie was smart enough to look in the hose section.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Wow, thanks for the props CatDaddy (hey are you fond of cats or somethin'?); this batch of 5-watts produce something more akin to a true "daylight" color, nice and white but without the blue tinges.

Good thing is I managed to get rid of the wife and daughter for quite a few hours daily over the past few days so it looks like I am going to FINISH just about ALL of these NexNeedles within the next few nights, so except for the obviously required packing, labeling, and shipping (which could take me a couple days after that), this run is nearing completion.

I recall there were some people who wanted custom mods done and I had to tell them "Not now", so if you are one of them and happening to be following this thread, please contact me next week and refresh my memory so we can discuss what projects you had in mind.

Thank You All for your support. I humbly remain, as ever,