Nightcore Defender problems

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow I really had my heart set on a Nitecore at a later date and sort of had plans to buy one, but sadly this post has completely turned me off buying one now unless Nitecore get their act together and do something about it. Paying $76 US for a torch which provides good features but with poor feedback (eg in this post) is just not good enough for me. Also is Nitecroe aware of this problem so it can be rectified or is this problem only happening with an X amount of torches. Now I wonder if its equivalent or close brother the MTE C370101 is also suffering from this problem as the Nitecore. I think I might settle for a Luma Power LM31 or LM33 as I've read many good things and feedback re these torches and again cheaper than the Nitecore.

Better also scratch Surefire, Novatac, Fenix, Innova, etc. off your list as well because they have also gotten bad feedback on CPF for one thing or another. :)

My Nitecore is still going strong. My 2 year old plays with it all the time. The nice thing is I don't have to worry about him hurting his eyes because I set it to max low, but sometimes he twists it and activates high, so I have to tell him to bring it to me so I can switch it back to low. Then he wants it back again, it's his favorite flashlight. :) He likes to sit and make the GITD part on the lanyard glow by holding it infront of the light.

Update: I just put a thinner o-ring on my NDI and it makes it even easier to turn. It wasn't really a problem before, but I figured I'd try it with a thinner o-ring anyway and now it should still have a decent seal, but it turns much easier making one handed operation a breeze.

Last edited:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys who are using GITD-tailcaps, does the light tailstand?
I noticed that the DX-tailcaps might be shorter than the original, so the tailcap might not potrude as much? Or am I wrong?

Flic

Enlightened
Ok here is the update. After doing a little reading and taking a closer look at my Defender I corrected a few things.
First I changed the O ring, cleaned and lube the threads. Then I noticed the switch assembly in the tail cap was loose so I tightened it up.
I used it for about 15 minutes and no problems at all. Every setting is working flawlessly. :twothumbs I still like my Novatac 120P better :thumbsup: but the defender is growing on me. It's a nice AA alternative.
:thanks: for the help guys!

Loose switch retaining rings are a common problem with many lights. IIRC the switches on the ES tested by a couple of CPFers were loctited. Folks asked that this be changed for production to allow users to clean/replace switches. Maybe Nitecore folks were hoping to avoid this problem??

Khaytsus

Enlightened
You guys who are using GITD-tailcaps, does the light tailstand?
I noticed that the DX-tailcaps might be shorter than the original, so the tailcap might not potrude as much? Or am I wrong?

Nope, not unless the tailcap was VERY thin, the switch sticks out pretty far. And in this case, the green GITD DX tailcaps still won't tailstand.

Khaytsus

Enlightened
I cut the peg off my cap completely (like the stock cap) and it's still very sensitive.

It turns on if I touch it!

Mine too.. I think the overall boot is just a wee shorter. However, I have only cut mine down, I haven't attempted to sand it down a bit yet, that'll take a little more off of it.

If I charge it up with my UV light, I can still see the remnants of the peg in there, so there's still a little I can take off.. :)

If that doesn't help, I'lll probably go back to the stock cap, GITD caps are just "cute", they don't really glow long enough to be useful for what I see them as being used for; finding a light in the dark, unless it's pitch black. I usually put the light in my pocket at night in my sweatpants and it stays there, but if I'm out in the woods and drop the light, most likely I'd just get out another light to find it ;-)

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, not unless the tailcap was VERY thin, the switch sticks out pretty far. And in this case, the green GITD DX tailcaps still won't tailstand.

Thanks for the info. I'll stay with Gunga's tailcap mod then. Unbelievable how much more usefull this lights get when you can tailstand it, and the switch is still easy to activate. Good work, Gunga! :)

EDGETAC

Newly Enlightened
icon7.gif
icon7.gif

Hi,

As to the issue of NiteCore D-I discussed here, there might be some NiteCore D-Is whose pills were loose due to the thread glue used, but please be advised that it was thread glue problem, and only a few of them might have this issue, e.g. those experienced by StefanFS and Dan C, we had got three such kind of feedbacks. So, if anyone who experiences such issue with your NiteCore D-I, please do not hesitate to contact us, we will definitely be of support in resolving this for you!
icon7.gif
Also, for second batch of NiteCore D-I, we have change all the glue, and improve the light based on the feedback collected, there should not be such kind of issue again.

BTW, This is why we have to glue tight the light head, in order to avoid such kind of issue for the light.

Any further issue or questions, please let us know, thanks!

Best Regards,
Y.L.Wong

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing but good to report with mine. I lubed first with Nyogel. But that was nothing compared to what happened next. I replaced the O-ring with a Fenix O-ring (slightly smaller) and put on the Radio shack pen oiler lube (PTFE or Teflon) and this made it incredibly smooth and easy to turn - even one handed. No other problems and love many of the features that this light has - which are not generally available in other lights.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow I really had my heart set on a Nitecore at a later date and sort of had plans to buy one, but sadly this post has completely turned me off buying one now unless Nitecore get their act together and do something about it. Paying $76 US for a torch which provides good features but with poor feedback (eg in this post) is just not good enough for me. Also is Nitecroe aware of this problem so it can be rectified or is this problem only happening with an X amount of torches. Now I wonder if its equivalent or close brother the MTE C370101 is also suffering from this problem as the Nitecore. I think I might settle for a Luma Power LM31 or LM33 as I've read many good things and feedback re these torches and again cheaper than the Nitecore.
Albinoni, don't be put off by reports of problems. This generally happens with EVERY light released here on CPF.

There are probably several reasons.

First, we are lucky enough here to have access to cutting edge, state-of-the-art technology before most folks on the planet even hear about what was new to us 2 years ago, so of course there are bound to be a few 'growing pains' with newly released lights.

Second, we also tend to put our lights through their paces rather quickly, and with GREAT enthusiasm. Normal folks might buy a light, use it once or twice a year, and never really push it any where close to it's limits, but when we get a new light it's off to the races (so to speak). I think the Fenix T1 Abuse thread, sponsored by 4sevens, is a good example of the extremes we LOVE to go to in order to find out just how much our lights can take. We do this because we want to know exactly how much we can count on our lights, and of course some lights just don't make it, ha..... so...... we can at times be a bit of a cruel taskmaster to those who manufacture our lights.

Third, and don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this applies to this particular situation, but it is valid for almost all lights.... but sometimes people just plain disagree over what is a good light. What is wonderful for one person is an atrocity for another..... which is why there is such a excellent variety of lights for us to choose from.

Anway, fear not, EdgeTac seems to be on top of things here, and are being quite responsive in helping to resolve these inevitable new release issues, but also keep in mind that, at least from what I've read, there seems to be a large number of folks who are enjoying this new light with few or no problems to speak of.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Albinoni, don't be put off by reports of problems. This generally happens with EVERY light released here on CPF.

*edited for space*

Anway, fear not, EdgeTac seems to be on top of things here, and are being quite responsive in helping to resolve these inevitable new release issues, but also keep in mind that, at least from what I've read, there seems to be a large number of folks who are enjoying this new light with few or no problems to speak of.

Very well put!!! EdgeTac has been extremely helpful in making things right with this new light. I can't recall such fantastic customer service from a brand new company with their first offering of a light.

Albinoni

Banned
Better also scratch Surefire, Novatac, Fenix, Innova, etc. off your list as well because they have also gotten bad feedback on CPF for one thing or another. :)

My Nitecore is still going strong. My 2 year old plays with it all the time. The nice thing is I don't have to worry about him hurting his eyes because I set it to max low, but sometimes he twists it and activates high, so I have to tell him to bring it to me so I can switch it back to low. Then he wants it back again, it's his favorite flashlight. :) He likes to sit and make the GITD part on the lanyard glow by holding it infront of the light.

Update: I just put a thinner o-ring on my NDI and it makes it even easier to turn. It wasn't really a problem before, but I figured I'd try it with a thinner o-ring anyway and now it should still have a decent seal, but it turns much easier making one handed operation a breeze.

I'm very surprised you mentioned Surefire, would of thought the last torches on this earth to experience probs. I know Fenix has also had its ups and downs but not all. Now coming back to Nitecore I'm not 100% sure if their all having this problem or is the users on here who've bought them have just had the bad bunch (faulty batch). Thing is I really would like one and who knows I might get a very good one or a dudd, but if its a dudd that means I need to re-send it back to the USA from Australia which would be a waste of time and money, unless I can find a distributor here than at least I can post it within Australia.

Anyhow its something for me to think about.

marc123

Newly Enlightened
As far as I know all distributors are out of stock at the moment. I am in Australia and I just sold my NDI. I now wish I hung onto it and I have had a quick look and it seems that they are out of stock everywhere. Maybe I will wait for the reviews on the Jet I Pro AA and then decide if I am buying another NDI or a Jetbeam. The only reason I sold my NDI is I thought I did not need a AA light so I then brought a CL1H and it is great for my work but way too bright for EDC so I am now wishing I kept the NDI for EDC. The NDI is a great light and mine was flawless.

Anyway a I am getting a bit OT so sorry...

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm very surprised you mentioned Surefire, would of thought the last torches on this earth to experience probs. I know Fenix has also had its ups and downs but not all. Now coming back to Nitecore I'm not 100% sure if their all having this problem or is the users on here who've bought them have just had the bad bunch (faulty batch). Thing is I really would like one and who knows I might get a very good one or a dudd, but if its a dudd that means I need to re-send it back to the USA from Australia which would be a waste of time and money, unless I can find a distributor here than at least I can post it within Australia.

I'm guessing you haven't heard about failing Surefire clickies then... Grab a chair, there's quite a lot to read.

The price of living on the cutting edge is that products might have some infant issues. Good companies sorts them out (like Surefire changing to alu-heads on G2L when they realised that the LED overheated, Fenix recalling their forward clickies on the LxT series etc). And Edgetac seems to have an amazing CS, just look how often they pop in to threads. Been a while since any manufacturer done that here. And about the Nitecore DI, mine has worked flawlessly so far.

Marduke

Flashaholic

SF makes great lights, but their clicky switches have perhaps the worst failure rate of any brand.

Just how do you infer that the DI is bad off? Out of 500 lights, there have been around half a dozen slight issues, with most of them being resolved in the manner suggested. That is, disassemble, cleaning, and tightening of all the parts.

There are plenty of distributors in the Pacific that probably have cheaper shipping for you. What makes you think you can ONLY but the DI from the US??

Khaytsus

Enlightened
icon7.gif
icon7.gif

Hi,

As to the issue of NiteCore D-I discussed here, there might be some NiteCore D-Is whose pills were loose due to the thread glue used, but please be advised that it was thread glue problem, and only a few of them might have this issue, e.g. those experienced by StefanFS and Dan C, we had got three such kind of feedbacks. So, if anyone who experiences such issue with your NiteCore D-I, please do not hesitate to contact us, we will definitely be of support in resolving this for you!
icon7.gif
Also, for second batch of NiteCore D-I, we have change all the glue, and improve the light based on the feedback collected, there should not be such kind of issue again.

BTW, This is why we have to glue tight the light head, in order to avoid such kind of issue for the light.

Any further issue or questions, please let us know, thanks!

Best Regards,
Y.L.Wong

Is there any investigation into better/different/replacement ORings? A very common complaint is the oring, some of us have replaced them with alternate but not sure that it's the "right thing". Otherwise, I personally am very happy with the NiteCore.

However, with the head pill, it would be a huge deal for the end user to be able to upgrade, look at all the Dereelight fans because of that fact! Just something to consider, even though I understand from your standpoint that if the pill tends to back out from usage it can cause problems, not sure how Dereelight solved that.