Nightcore Defender problems

Flic

Enlightened
Albinoni, don't be put off by reports of problems. This generally happens with EVERY light released here on CPF.

There are probably several reasons.

First, we are lucky enough here to have access to cutting edge, state-of-the-art technology before most folks on the planet even hear about what was new to us 2 years ago, so of course there are bound to be a few 'growing pains' with newly released lights.

Second, we also tend to put our lights through their paces rather quickly, and with GREAT enthusiasm. Normal folks might buy a light, use it once or twice a year, and never really push it any where close to it's limits, but when we get a new light it's off to the races (so to speak). I think the Fenix T1 Abuse thread, sponsored by 4sevens, is a good example of the extremes we LOVE to go to in order to find out just how much our lights can take. We do this because we want to know exactly how much we can count on our lights, and of course some lights just don't make it, ha..... so...... we can at times be a bit of a cruel taskmaster to those who manufacture our lights.

Third, and don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this applies to this particular situation, but it is valid for almost all lights.... but sometimes people just plain disagree over what is a good light. What is wonderful for one person is an atrocity for another..... which is why there is such a excellent variety of lights for us to choose from.

Anway, fear not, EdgeTac seems to be on top of things here, and are being quite responsive in helping to resolve these inevitable new release issues, but also keep in mind that, at least from what I've read, there seems to be a large number of folks who are enjoying this new light with few or no problems to speak of.

Derek Dean, I support your comments 100%. And I doubt very many could have expressed them so well. We are a strange lot, are we not? We cannot wait to get the latest thing. When it arrives we, drag the manufacturer though the dirt if there is a spec of dust under the lense, or a slight mismatch in anodizing. And then we beat our lights with hammers and rocks. Go figure. But we LOVE lights and buy more and more.

Your third point is perhaps the most insightful, I adore my NDI, but I can see most the objections I have read as valid. If there were a perfect light, there would only be one model from one manufacturer - and where would be the fun in that? What drives me, and I suspect many others, is the hunt for the perfect light FOR ME. Right now, my three NDIs have been 100% trouble free and I love their design, feel and performance. So much so that I'll be selling off a number of AA lights in the CPFM.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm very surprised you mentioned Surefire, would of thought the last torches on this earth to experience probs. I know Fenix has also had its ups and downs but not all. Now coming back to Nitecore I'm not 100% sure if their all having this problem or is the users on here who've bought them have just had the bad bunch (faulty batch). Thing is I really would like one and who knows I might get a very good one or a dudd, but if its a dudd that means I need to re-send it back to the USA from Australia which would be a waste of time and money, unless I can find a distributor here than at least I can post it within Australia.

My comments about Surefire, Fenix, Novatac, etc, was just to prove a point that you can buy any brand, even brands people feel are the best, and you can still have a problem. There have been posts from people who have had SF's with bad clicky switches right out of the box, but that doesn't mean one should avoid SF.

I understand your concern since you are in Australia. Maybe you could wait a bit and see how the next batch of NDI's turn out, wait for some feedback from people who get the new units and see if you're still interested. If you are, maybe you can request that the dealer you order from could open, inspect, and test your light to ensure it is okay before shipping it to you.

CallMeDave

Newly Enlightened
... I don't want to send it back because the tint, brightness, and beam are all perfect...

I love everything about the light except for the beam. Thick dark ring around hotspot, then three discrete rings of light levels out to the edge of the spill.

Next trip into the City I'll stop by TAD and see if it looks unusual to them.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I have discovered a problem with my NDI - the output is just average, I thought I maybe got a faulty unit. So I did a test on a freshly charged Eneloop (2000mAh) and the flashlight took at least 1 hour to significant drop in output. But it continued to light after 1 hour 30 minutes with much decreased output. I think it should drop in output after 30 minutes on a Eneloop. This longer runtimes could mean that the tactical mode (maximum output) is not high on my NDI as on other units. I did check that I was in the "max output" mode, the bezel was tightened.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I love everything about the light except for the beam. Thick dark ring around hotspot, then three discrete rings of light levels out to the edge of the spill.

Next trip into the City I'll stop by TAD and see if it looks unusual to them.

That's typical of Cree's. they have a dark ring around the hotspot. Ever wonder why most Cree lights have medium/heavy orange peel reflectors?

I think I have discovered a problem with my NDI - the output is just average, I thought I maybe got a faulty unit. So I did a test on a freshly charged Eneloop (2000mAh) and the flashlight took at least 1 hour to significant drop in output. But it continued to light after 1 hour 30 minutes with much decreased output. I think it should drop in output after 30 minutes on a Eneloop. This longer runtimes could mean that the tactical mode (maximum output) is not high on my NDI as on other units. I did check that I was in the "max output" mode, the bezel was tightened.

1 hour is the approximate time for a fresh Eneloop. Where did you get the 30 minute thing??

kilgor

Enlightened
That's typical of Cree's. they have a dark ring around the hotspot. Ever wonder why most Cree lights have medium/heavy orange peel reflectors?

1 hour is the approximate time for a fresh Eneloop. Where did you get the 30 minute thing??

I saw that lightreviews.com listed runtime at 30 minutes on an eneloop, which is crazy. I'm guessing that is where he got it. Mine lasted for 65 minutes before noticeable drop off on an eneloop. Every other runtime test I've seen has given about an hour on high.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw that lightreviews.com listed runtime at 30 minutes on an eneloop, which is crazy. I'm guessing that is where he got it. Mine lasted for 65 minutes before noticeable drop off on an eneloop. Every other runtime test I've seen has given about an hour on high.
Exactly :), I got it from lightreviews.com. Then everything looks OK, thank you.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Derek Dean, I support your comments 100%. And I doubt very many could have expressed them so well. We are a strange lot, are we not? We cannot wait to get the latest thing. When it arrives we, drag the manufacturer though the dirt if there is a spec of dust under the lense, or a slight mismatch in anodizing. And then we beat our lights with hammers and rocks. Go figure. But we LOVE lights and buy more and more.

Your third point is perhaps the most insightful, I adore my NDI, but I can see most the objections I have read as valid. If there were a perfect light, there would only be one model from one manufacturer - and where would be the fun in that? What drives me, and I suspect many others, is the hunt for the perfect light FOR ME. Right now, my three NDIs have been 100% trouble free and I love their design, feel and performance. So much so that I'll be selling off a number of AA lights in the CPFM.

Absolutely. I agree with Derek and Flic. Although I have had trouble with my NDI doesn't mean there aren't plenty of units out there working perfectly. This just happens to be the place we talk about problems with lights (especially new ones) and try to help each other solve those problems. Don't be put off on a top quality light just because you have read a couple bad threads. As Wade said even Surefire has their problems once in a while and when they do you are going to hear about it here.

If you want one of these lights I recommend you get one. There have been more than enough reports of people very happy with these lights.

Bill

CallMeDave

Newly Enlightened
Ever wonder why most Cree lights have medium/heavy orange peel reflectors?

No, I don't.

But I _do_ wonder why the shadow around the hotspot of of my NDI, with its textured reflector, is darker and thicker then the rings on my 1st generation P1 CE and P3D, both of which sport perfectly smooth reflectors.