Nitecore D10 lanyard attachment

E=MC2

Newly Enlightened
Just got my D10 in the mail today. Absolutely awesome light - I've never had a 'serious' light before, so I guess I would be impressed by anything, but this really does seem nice.
One question though - the clip for the lanyard is kind of too wide for the space between the rim of the tailcap (where it attaches) and the on/off tailcap switch. I can make the clip press against the edge of the switch button if I angle the clip upwards/downwards. I'm worried that if I have the light in my pocket or bag, and something presses against the clip, the leverage generated is going to damage the switch?
Anyone else noticed this?

Anyway, I'm still very happy with this thing :rock:

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Nitecore D10 is awesome; Just have one question

I recommend the 8mm split ring, listed in my signature and available from Walmart or other local craft stores.

They work great for your lights and there is no danger in accidentally activating the light.

Enjoy your nice D10!!

:welcome:

kenzo

Newly Enlightened
Re: Nitecore D10 is awesome; Just have one question

I use a split ring to connect the lanyard to the D10

//edit... Er...Left post open and went downstairs to get food. People have answered question already ._.

jbviau

Enlightened
There's no need to buy a split ring--just use the one that came with your D10! It's on the lanyard already. Take the clip thingee off, use it (or something else that works as a wedge) to open the stock split ring, and slip that puppy onto your D10 using one of the holes that's right next to the gap cut into the tailcap. The ring is the perfect size, i.e. it won't press against the switch, but it *will* lie down flat when you tailstand since it reaches the gap. Must be 8mm or so. When you're done you can then remove the lanyard, leaving only the split ring attached to the light, if that's your preference. I'm looking for a better lanyard or glow fob, so that's where I left off for now.

p.s. This works for the EX10 as well (tried it on mine). Both lights come with the same type of lanyard set-up.

Last edited:

E=MC2

Newly Enlightened
Hey, thanks guys!
I tried the jbviau option, and it works pretty much perfectly. Should have seen it myself. Only thing is, you can't put the paracord through the same hole in the lanyard clip that the ring was in, so you have to have the cord and the ring inside the actual clip... but it really doesn't matter, because it works.
I don't know why they don't ship them with the paracord loop going through the little drilled hole in the clip, and the ring attached to the light.

Thanks again.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're welcome. When you start to collect enough lights, like I do, then you tend to buy extra split-rings anyway, because sooner or later, you'll need them.

Enjoy your lights! :)

jbviau

Enlightened
E=MC2, glad it worked for you! Did you just get rid of your clip? I haven't found anything to do with mine yet.

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's no need to buy a split ring--just use the one that came with your D10! It's on the lanyard already. Take the clip thingee off, use it (or something else that works as a wedge) to open the stock split ring, and slip that puppy onto your D10 using one of the holes that's right next to the gap cut into the tailcap. The ring is the perfect size, i.e. it won't press against the switch, but it *will* lie down flat when you tailstand since it reaches the gap. Must be 8mm or so. When you're done you can then remove the lanyard, leaving only the split ring attached to the light, if that's your preference. I'm looking for a better lanyard or glow fob, so that's where I left off for now.

p.s. This works for the EX10 as well (tried it on mine). Both lights come with the same type of lanyard set-up.

Can you get me some photos of it.
Still :thinking:

jbviau

Enlightened
Sure, here's a pic:

IMG_4588.jpg

The split ring installed on my EX10 was originally attached to the clip on the counter in this pic (specifically, where that tiny hole in the clip is). I removed the ring from the clip. At this point the lanyard was still attached to the ring. I then removed the lanyard from the ring. This is an optional step. If you want to do it, you can just unlatch that black plastic thingee at the end of the lanyard, which allows you to undo the lanyard and get it off of the ring without cutting it. Finally, I installed the ring on the EX10's tailcap the way I described above. You can see how it fits perfectly. Hope that helps.

EDIT: An easier way to remove the lanyard from the split ring is to open the ring and pull the lanyard through, as pointed out below by the OP. Just be careful not to snag the lanyard on one of the sharp ends of the ring.

Last edited:

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks jbviau,
that's what exactly i did on my EX10 too :eek:
i did ask 4sevens in that famous thread but went unanswered.
My question is - how durable is the clip?
Is it made of real SS or just plastic with some coating?

jbviau

Enlightened
Nice. No idea about the durability of the clip (or the ring for that matter). Personally I think they're metal, but the finish does look a little irregular as if they're coated with something.

flash99dark

Newly Enlightened
Hello...if you check our listing by member Greenled there is a company/website called Berkeleypoint and they have all sorts of very nice clips rings and similar items. They give CPF members a 10% discount and are very helpful with answering questons about their product line.....William
If you link there through Greenled's list it will take you to the CPF member instructions

I do not have any financial or business in this company

werdnawee

Newly Enlightened
I haven't been using a lanyard full-time on any of my flashlights.

When using a split ring or anything metal and attaching to, say a D10, will the HA of the flashlight rub off/scratch or would the split ring take most of the damage?

On the Surefires I have, the lanyard goes on the plastic ring which is replaceable, but what about my D10, NDI's, Fenix's (although their lanyards are string so no problems there)

Thanks

Last edited:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
After trying and tying a bunch of different lanyard methods I gave up on any sort of method that used the holes. They all seemed to interfere with the tail switch. It would have been nice if two of the holes were closer together.

Best method using the holes was 3mm reflective paracord (kelty triptease) in one hole and out the other.
le5ol.jpg

I found the best method for me was to tie a constrictor knot around the waist section near the tail. This does not interfere with the switch and also the double loops act like "tactical orings" improving the grip on the light. This will not come off accidetly.
jl07k7.jpg

jbviau

Enlightened
The knot idea is interesting. It really won't slip off if you suspend the light by the lanyard and give it a few sharp tugs?

From the picture your "lanyard through the holes" method looks like it would interfere with pressing the piston more than the split ring does. True?

Last edited:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
The knot idea is interesting. It really won't slip off if you suspend the light by the lanyard and give it a few sharp tugs?
The harder you pull the tighter it gets. I remove the inner strands from the paracord which makes it more flexible and it seems to hold tighter. You may need pliers to get the knot off.

This method also make tail standing a breeze. The split ring you have to align everything up to tail stand the light.

From the picture your "lanyard through the holes" method looks like it would interfere with pressing the piston more than the split ring does. True?
Naw, it usually just pushes out of the way and sits in the grove around the button.

jbviau

Enlightened
The split ring you have to align everything up to tail stand the light.

Too true. I find this borderline annoying.

Maybe once the clips come out there will be a way to attach a lanyard to those also.

I might have to try your knot idea. Did you do the single constrictor or the double?

werdnawee, you should try the knot too if you're worried about scratching. Even the hardest, thickest HA will eventually wear from metal-to-metal contact, I think.

Last edited:

copierguy_mobile

Newly Enlightened
There's no need to buy a split ring--just use the one that came with your D10! It's on the lanyard already. Take the clip thingee off, use it (or something else that works as a wedge) to open the stock split ring, and slip that puppy onto your D10 using one of the holes that's right next to the gap cut into the tailcap. The ring is the perfect size, i.e. it won't press against the switch, but it *will* lie down flat when you tailstand since it reaches the gap. Must be 8mm or so.

I used a much smaller split ring on my D10. I'm not sure if everybody's lanyard/hardware was the same (mine is a later model, 800+) but the split ring that came with mine was quite a bit bigger than 8mm.

The stock D10 split ring is in the middle and it's clip is on the right, the left split ring is the one I used.
d10hardwarerv8.jpg

I didn't use the stock lanyard at all, I wound up using the smaller split ring with a barrel swivel.
d10ringswiveldd1.jpg