Nitecore D11.2/EX11.2

m1ke

Newly Enlightened
QQ- so I'm considering a D11.2 versus the D10 battery vampires. Are you saying I should wait? It seems I had good luck, at least thus far with my EX11.2.
Yeah, the EX11.2 isn't completely without issues, but I really like mine.

Mr. Shawn

Enlightened
QQ- so I'm considering a D11.2 versus the D10 battery vampires. Are you saying I should wait? It seems I had good luck, at least thus far with my EX11.2.

Based on the feedback here on CPF, I personally think it's a gamble to buy a D11.1 at this point. I really want one, but I'm going to wait to see if NiteCore makes any improvements next year.

jondotcom

Enlightened
Yeah, the EX11.2 isn't completely without issues, but I really like mine.

The only thing I notice after playing with mine quite a bit is that the ramping is not smooth with 16340 batteries (keeping a CR123 in it for now). Other than that, the light is awesome so far. The clip is the best I've experienced so far too... it's a worthwhile upgrade.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only thing I notice after playing with mine quite a bit is that the ramping is not smooth with 16340 batteries (keeping a CR123 in it for now). Other than that, the light is awesome so far. The clip is the best I've experienced so far too... it's a worthwhile upgrade.

Have you experienced switching to low when you actually need to switch it off instead?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'm still very much liking my D11.2. It did take two tries to get a good one. Occasionally I'll also get low when turning off, but I think that's from lazy clicking. One slightly odd thing I've noticed is tarnishing of the switch button. I kind of like it.

Geoff

jondotcom

Enlightened
Have you experienced switching to low when you actually need to switch it off instead?

Nope, but I could see how that could happen since a quick double-click activates low. Since I'm still in the honeymoon phase with this light I do check it every time just to be safe :).

Edit One Month later: Yeah, I do get it go to low now and then when turning off. I'm in the habit of checking it though.

Last edited:

manhairetis

Newly Enlightened
I received my D11.2 a few days ago.I would like to agree with the comments above, that the lowest low actually looks much lower than 3 lm and as a result it is esy to set the light at that power instead of switching it off.Other than that, the build quality is excellent in my example and I have not noticed the quality control issues mentioned by other users.

Myrakas

Newly Enlightened
I like Nitecore brand. I have D10 and was thinking about getting D11 as an upgrade, but after reading all problems listed in this therad... Well, I think I try another brand this time. Still, I hope Nitecore will recover from QC issues and produce another great 1AA light like D10 was.

hatman

Enlightened
I'm with you, DHart. I trust NiteCore is paying attention and will tighten up the QC for their next releases. NiteCore, you succeeded with the D10, now take us to the next level! :party:

Apparently they did -- it's just not the next level we all wanted.:confused:

Racer

Enlightened
The D11.2 also looked very appealing to me, but I won't be buying it either. I think I will just pay 20 more bucks and get the V10A. Pity too, because on paper the D11.2 is exactly what I am looking for in an AA EDC. A rugged, ramping light with an indestructible switching mechanism. That doesn't seem to the case in practice.

There's a whole lot of good competition in this space and no reason for someone like me to have to play the lottery to see if I get a good one. There's just too many other lights out there that I know for a fact I'll get a good light!

But someday maybe Nitecore will get its act together and I'll try the D12 or whatever the version they get right 100% of the time is. And then if it's good, I'll get the Exx version too :)

jondotcom

Enlightened
The D11.2 also looked very appealing to me, but I won't be buying it either. I think I will just pay 20 more bucks and get the V10A. Pity too, because on paper the D11.2 is exactly what I am looking for in an AA EDC. A rugged, ramping light with an indestructible switching mechanism. That doesn't seem to the case in practice.

There's a whole lot of good competition in this space and no reason for someone like me to have to play the lottery to see if I get a good one. There's just too many other lights out there that I know for a fact I'll get a good light!

But someday maybe Nitecore will get its act together and I'll try the D12 or whatever the version they get right 100% of the time is. And then if it's good, I'll get the Exx version too :)

I really want to pick up the D11.2 but still looking for a good deal or sale, as it seems those who have this one (and didn't get a lemon) are happy with it. The light really seems to be in a class of its own.

As far as the V10A/R, I just can't stomach it "yet"... maybe it's just a marketing thing for me. Sunwayman/Kia/Hyundai... the names alone gives it a stigma in my mind anyway.... yes I know it's an awesome product but it is nowhere enticing to me mechanically like the Nitecores.

Last edited:

manhairetis

Newly Enlightened
I have just noticed that the LED module is loosely screwed in the head of my new D11.2. I used a pair of needlenose pliers to tighten it, but great care must be taken in order not to damage the exposed electronics. I have contacted Nitecore about this issue, which I think has been reported by another CPF member too.

jondotcom

Enlightened
Can anyone comment on how smooth the ramping action is on their D11.2/EX11.2 using both standard AA/CR123A and 14500/16340 4.2V? Ramping is smooth using the 3.0v battery in my EX11.2, but it isn't smooth when running 16340. Just wonder if it's normal... otherwise my light seems perfect.

manhairetis

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone comment on how smooth the ramping action is on their D11.2/EX11.2 using both standard AA/CR123A and 14500/16340 4.2V? Ramping is smooth using the 3.0v battery in my EX11.2, but it isn't smooth when running 16340. Just wonder if it's normal... otherwise my light seems perfect.
My only experience so far is with disposable lithium batteries, with which my D11.2 performs very well, the ramping is smooth and easy to adjust. I hope this helps.

jondotcom

Enlightened
Thanks. Somebody on another forum confirmed a slight jump around 50% when ramping with 16340 which is how I'd characterize mine...I'm glad it's normal :)

kzb

Newly Enlightened
I've a bit of christmas money left over and I'd like to update my EDC light. I want a 1AA compact light to replace my Cybalite Orion (which is still going strong BTW). So hopefully no bigger than that light, which is 96x20mm.

Either the Nitecore D11.2 or the EZ AA R5 look good in some ways. But I've some questions which hopefully you guys who own the things can resolve:

The D11.2 has a safety lock-out to prevent accidental switch on. This is an important feature in my view. Also it is said to run on Ni-MH, another important feature to me.

The EZ AA R5 apparently does not have these features according to the Nitecore website. Or does it?

The problem is that the EZ AA R5 is significantly less expensive here in the UK (£39.95) versus £49.95 for the D11.2, even tho the EZ AA R5 is brighter. I don't want to spend nearly £50 but I might spend £40, if it has the features I want. Can anyone help?

manhairetis

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunately after the first few days of trouble-free performance, the problems continue. After tightening the loose LED module the light started to behave funny, like switching to a lower level or flashing instead of switching off, not turning on at all, blinking once instead of turning on etc. Following the advice in an older post, I disassembled the body and found some dirt between the piston and the external shell. I washed them both with warm water and soap, dried and re-lubed them with Nitecore silicon grease. This seems to have solved the problem so far. But I must admit that this is not what you expect from a brand new $60 flashlight... I own 6 high quality flashlights and this is the only one that has had such issues.

EDIT: That's it, after all these efforts the light has now gone completely crazy. I have emailed Nitecore twice, I hope that I will receive an answer on Monday, but after what I have read here I am reluctant to post it to China for repair. I may throw it away and go for something else, like the Fenix LD10, Sunwayman V10 or Zebralight SC51. Any suggestions please?

Needless to say that it is highly unlikely to ever buy another Nitecore...

Last edited:

hatman

Enlightened
Unfortunately after the first few days of trouble-free performance, the problems continue. After tightening the loose LED module the light started to behave funny, like switching to a lower level or flashing instead of switching off, not turning on at all, blinking once instead of turning on etc. Following the advice in an older post, I disassembled the body and found some dirt between the piston and the external shell. I washed them both with warm water and soap, dried and re-lubed them with Nitecore silicon grease. This seems to have solved the problem so far. But I must admit that this is not what you expect from a brand new $60 flashlight... I own 6 high quality flashlights and this is the only one that has had such issues.

Thanks for the update.
I am lucky to have two D10s and had been doing a due diligence on these newer models. Sorry to hear about all the issues. I'll be holding onto my money for now.

jondotcom

Enlightened
I've a bit of christmas money left over and I'd like to update my EDC light. I want a 1AA compact light to replace my Cybalite Orion (which is still going strong BTW). So hopefully no bigger than that light, which is 96x20mm.

Either the Nitecore D11.2 or the EZ AA R5 look good in some ways. But I've some questions which hopefully you guys who own the things can resolve:

The D11.2 has a safety lock-out to prevent accidental switch on. This is an important feature in my view. Also it is said to run on Ni-MH, another important feature to me.

The EZ AA R5 apparently does not have these features according to the Nitecore website. Or does it?

The problem is that the EZ AA R5 is significantly less expensive here in the UK (£39.95) versus £49.95 for the D11.2, even tho the EZ AA R5 is brighter. I don't want to spend nearly £50 but I might spend £40, if it has the features I want. Can anyone help?

The EZ AA is a totally different animal and is turned on by tightening the head (no lockout). It's a twisty light and the operation is pretty simple. You tighten it to turn it on, and you set the brightness by a quick off and on which triggers ramping. Once it gets to your intended brightness, you turn it off, and that memorizes the brightness. The light continues to operate like a simple twisty/off-on unless you go into ramping and set a diff brightness.

Steve Cebu

Newly Enlightened
I am so glad I still have my D10 if the new D11.2's are having these problems. I found the best way to deal with battery drain on my 2008 D10 was to unscrew the tailcap a bit so that the rear switch becomes a momentary switch. That has saved my battery many times. A quick tightening and it's good to go.

Latest posts