NiteCore Defender Infinity - titan for the masses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyRS

Enlightened
A friendly reminder, discussing staff actions is not permitted on CPF proper, please take it to the UG.

Which is why an email was sent instead.:cool:

In light of recent events, maybe more attention needs to be paid to which individuals receive sample lights for review. I know this isn't up to CPF to determine, but maybe a recommended list of select members can be established by CPF for vendors/manufactures to utilize when they want to send out sample lights for review.

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
...In light of recent events, maybe more attention needs to be paid to which individuals receive sample lights for review. I know this isn't up to CPF to determine, but maybe a recommended list of select members can be established by CPF for vendors/manufactures to utilize when they want to send out sample lights for review.

I'm sure NiteCore didn't just pick the first three to inquire. All three have done quite a few reviews.

x2x3x2

Banned
Review up, enjoy.
Keep in mind that this is of the ES. Production version may have slight differences.

Tubor

Enlightened
Thanks for the review x2x3x2!

It's not perfect but still worth buying I think. Pretty bright. Maybe the switch could be "oiled-up" for signaling? I think it's a :thumbsup: from me!

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
x2x3x2 thank you!

Everything's great - but runtime could be maybe better. I always thought, that it's the other way around, 14500 should have less runtime? I don't know if I would like to buy a 14500 battery&charger just because of this light. I like standard batteries...
I wonder if the regulation is any better on lower levels? (so that the NiMH is not so much overdriven)

Last edited:

Tubor

Enlightened
Compares quite well to the quoted graphs in the sales thread, although the difference between 14500 brightness and eneloop brightness seems bigger in the review?
7.jpg

9.jpg

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could one of the reviewers take beam shots at 1 meter, and compare it to say the Fenix P2D? From x2x3x2's review he shows the hot spot being slightly brighter than the P2D, and the spill is brighter than the P2D (brighter spill than the Novatac 120 as well). This should mean it's putting out more lumens than the Fenix P2D (I assume the P4 version is on his review site), but only if the diameter of the beam is the same or larger. If the spill is wider than the Fenix P2D, and if it is a lot wider, than the claim of 180-190 emitter lumens maybe true.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw the lux reading? can someone put that into lumens,yes I know claims of 180 lumens were never going to happen,but what is it half=90 lumens if thats the case poor show IMO.but the rest of it is ok,thanks x2x3x2.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, graphs are quite accurate. I still don't get it - how can a 14500 be so much better?...
It still seems like a very good light for $50 I paid, but not for $80. I think they will either need to improve the regulation on NiMH or lower the price.

The runtime/output on 14500 looks quite good to me though...
Seems like I need 2x AW 14500 batteries (2x $9) + a charger (? $). The light is getting more expensive :sigh:. I already sold my L1D CE to my friend (he is VERY happy with it, he couldn't believe his eyes how bright it was :naughty:).

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw the lux reading? can someone put that into lumens,yes I know claims of 180 lumens were never going to happen,but what is it half=90 lumens if thats the case poor show IMO.but the rest of it is ok,thanks x2x3x2.

Fenix L1D CE has 1591 Lux on 1AA NiMH. Nitecore has 1957 Lux.
(although it's not fair to compare them, the L1D has a P4 Cree).
And 2693 Lux on a 14500? Considering that L2D CE has 3000 lux on 2xAA.

I don't think this can be converted to lumens, it's just describes the light intensity on the spot - not how much light is emitted.

Last edited:

Taepo

Newly Enlightened
Interesting test results...Output vs runtime is better than the Novatac 120p (when using rechargeable AW cells).

Novatac (2530 lux @ 36min)
vs
Defender (2690 lux @ 76min)

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, graphs are quite accurate. I still don't get it - how can a 14500 be so much better?...
It still seems like a very good light for $50 I paid, but not for $80. I think they will either need to improve the regulation on NiMH or lower the price.

The runtime/output on 14500 looks quite good to me though...
Seems like I need 2x AW 14500 batteries (2x $9) + a charger (? $). The light is getting more expensive :sigh:. I already sold my L1D CE to my friend (he is VERY happy with it, he couldn't believe his eyes how bright it was :naughty:).
Going by the graphs on 14500 over 200 lumens for ten minutes then it drops to 180 lumens that sounds good:thumbsup:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
You really can't begin to figure out lumens based on LUX readings of the hot spot. Now if someone could make a light box and take some readings off the total output of some Fenix lights and the Nitecore, it would give us a better idea of the total output and how it stacks up against the others. Then we could take a better guess at lumens.

The fact that the hot spot and spill are reading higher for the Nitecore than the P2D P4 is encouraging, especially in the spill, I think it was 94lux for the P2d, and 121lux for the nitecore. Without seeing the beam pattern it's still hard to tell. If the Nitecore has a larger hotspot and a large spill than the P2D, and both areas are reading higher on the LUX meter than the P2D, than we know there is a decent difference in lumens between the two. The Fenix P2D P4 on Turbo is supposed to be 135 lumens at the emitter, probably 100-110 lumens out the front.

I'll also throw in that the P2D should have a larger and deeper reflector than the Nitecore, but it's hard to tell without having one in hand. If this is the case, the P2D should have a tighter hot spot, and the Nitecore should have a larger hot spot, and maybe a larger diameter beam overall. Hopefully someone can let us know how the beam compares to the P2D. If this is the case, the Nitecore may well be doing 180-190 lumens at the emitter.

Last edited:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Review up, enjoy.
Keep in mind that this is of the ES. Production version may have slight differences.

You said pretty positive things about the light, and the lower runtime is to be expected when you consider how hard it's driving the emitter.
And yet, you only gave it 5.5 value.
Why?

ChadPhelps

Newly Enlightened
I would most likely use lithium primaries in this light if I purchase one. Where would the runtime fall compared to the other battery types tested? I haven't messed around with LiIons yet so please forgive my ignorance.

Status
Not open for further replies.