Nitecore Explorer Series (EC1, EC2, EA1, EA2)

TMCGLASSON36

Newly Enlightened
^^^^^Scratch that looks like it leaked like crazy. Got water inside the lens and the red led won't shutoff. The main LED has a constant glow and won't lock out. Looks like a great concept bad execution. Back she goes. I was really excited about this one. Heres the pic.
2012-10-13_14-27-33_161.jpg

Last edited:

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
So there you have it.

We all here in the forum are waiting for Version 2 of this light.

It was good to begin with, poorly implemented though.

Design should have been made better.

Might as well send it back and get another brand as a replacement. (that's why I got my SWM C20C)

sspc

Newly Enlightened
So there you have it.

We all here in the forum are waiting for Version 2 of this light.

It was good to begin with, poorly implemented though.

Design should have been made better.

Might as well send it back and get another brand as a replacement. (that's why I got my SWM C20C)

I got the Ec2 and have been pleased with it. Everything functions properly and my only gripe is the low seems to be in the 20 lumen range which is a far cry from the advertised 2 lumen low. This dissappointment is somwhat reduced by the constant on red light option as it makes for a very nice moonlight mode...but a real low mode would be useful for me and the EC2 does not have one.

ergotelis

Enlightened
@overclocker, thank you for your kind words,(btw i have already modded 15 flashlights with xp-g2)
Another way to open it, is to drill some really tiny holes on the ring, and pull it off, so you are right.
THe thermal path, as said before, is small, but the pcb(maybe the most important in flashlight cooling) is of a good quality, so thermal path seems to be sufficient for all explorer series. Except maybe ec2, i suggest you don't operate it in turbo for more than 2-3 minutes.

Last edited:

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the Ec2 and have been pleased with it. Everything functions properly and my only gripe is the low seems to be in the 20 lumen range which is a far cry from the advertised 2 lumen low. This dissappointment is somwhat reduced by the constant on red light option as it makes for a very nice moonlight mode...but a real low mode would be useful for me and the EC2 does not have one.

I actually have nothing against the EC2 except for the fact that it's not waterproof.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Seems like they have addressed the red LED issue. Tested a few EA1 overnight (9 hours) with the blinking beacon and the Eneloop is still fresh at 1.2v.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
@overclocker, thank you for your kind words,(btw i have already modded 15 flashlights with xp-g2)
Another way to open it, is to drill some really tiny holes on the ring, and pull it off, so you are right.
THe thermal path, as said before, is small, but the pcb(maybe the most important in flashlight cooling) is of a good quality, so thermal path seems to be sufficient for all explorer series. Except maybe ec2, i suggest you don't operate it in turbo for more than 2-3 minutes.

wow 15!!! i haven't even gotten around to modding even 1 LOL though i've got my neutral xpg2's already :)

now the other issue is the incorrect LOW mode of the EC2. it's supposed to be 2 lumens. i hope fix that soon. and the waterproofing issues. and the red led problems. what a buggy series of lights, puts zebralight to shame! LOL

TMCGLASSON36

Newly Enlightened
Well I went ahead and got a replacement EC1. Stuck it under water for thirty minutes and no leaks. Looks like it going to be hit and miss on the leak issue. Ordered a EC2 from LJ and jeff did a leak test for me before he shipped. Thats customer service. Ill update when it gets here saturday.

sspc

Newly Enlightened
Seems like they have addressed the red LED issue. Tested a few EA1 overnight (9 hours) with the blinking beacon and the Eneloop is still fresh at 1.2v.
I didn't think the blinking/beacon red led was the issue...I thought the issue was with the constant on red light draining the batt too quickly on some models?

also, my 1.2v rechargeables come off the charger at about 1.4v

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
I didn't think the blinking/beacon red led was the issue...I thought the issue was with the constant on red light draining the batt too quickly on some models?

also, my 1.2v rechargeables come off the charger at about 1.4v

Ah heck I posted in the wrong thread :) should be in selfbuilt's thread where he did the test with the blinking beacon.

My batt was 1.3 going in, sitting in my "charged" bin for a while.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Ah heck I posted in the wrong thread :) should be in selfbuilt's thread where he did the test with the blinking beacon.

My batt was 1.3 going in, sitting in my "charged" bin for a while.

Oh wait what the heck? I've been thinking it's the blinking issue and ignored the Explorer series for just that reason alone (well and water resistance). Might be time to revisit, but a bit late considering the new lights they're coming out with...

So stupid.

ergotelis

Enlightened
Guys, i am pissed off with this flashlight, or even these explorer series, or maybe even with nitecore. What a pity, and i was so excited when i firstly saw this one!!!

All of you know that i have modded the flashlight a lot of time ago, and used it a lot of times.

I took it with me to a journey abroad and before getting to the airplane, i took the flashlight with me, on my hands ( not in my luggage). I had put a charged redilast 2900 battery, with a tiny (4mm wide x 1mm height) magnet, so as to have a secure contact on the "+" pole.
I traveled, went to my destination and i operated the flashlight there,~1 hour in various levels, all ok, just fine.
Before getting to the airplane in order to return, i placed the phone in my luggage, i didn't do anything else with it, left it as it was, i didn't even open the tailcap/thread lock out/switch lock. It was in the luggage in a safe place, among clothes.
When i returned, opened my bag,it was on its place in a pocket, placed it on my office. The next day, i lighted it up, and saw something really strange: All levels, get more power from the battery, and operate higher!!!! The lowest level, is draining ~0,6 amp from a charged 18650 battery, the high ~1,4amp and turbo 1,6amp(and the other modes are somewhere intermediate). No low, no medium etc, what the heck happened????? The flashlight is draining now higher amperage on all levels!!Other than that, it is operating fine, 4 modes, red light, flash,strobe sos ,switch lock out etc all ok!
I have no warranty with this one,as i have modded it with xp-g2 and i got really disappointed by the fact that it is now faulty, with NO(????) reason!!!
The only reason i could think of, is the luggage x-ray scanner of the airport, nothing else!!!The circuit was operating, as it was in "stand by"/"sleep mode" the red light(stand by) was flashing.

I am willing to send it back to nitecore for inspection and i don't want them to repair it,just to check it and then send it back to me as it is. This is sick!!!

Last edited:

tam17

Enlightened
Looks like driver on your EC2 went berzerk for no reason. Other faulty drivers reported in E-series threads were drawing excessive currents (red LED or Low mode). I don't think airport X-ray scanner could be the culprit, it's supposed to be safe for all consumer electronics including flashlights.

Cheers

awyeah

Enlightened
I think I have an EC1 with the heat issue. Here's my expectation: With just the red LED on, I would think the light should still be cool to the touch (no perceptible temperature change). My EC1 gets noticeably warm... not super hot, but definitely warmer. Is this the issue people have been experiencing?

If so, I'm going to e-mail battery junction and see if I can get a replacement.

SeanHatfield

Newly Enlightened
Are there any better clip options for the EC2? I like that the clip is 2-way, but i'm used to a strong Quark clip, and the EC2 clip is just not strong enough.
Also i wouln't exactly call the clip removably (like nitecore does), when the screws are loctited in place and can't be screwed out with a screwdriver. i almost destroyed the screws with a wrench
until i finally got them lose.

And i miss the low modes from my Quark... i think the lowest (non-red) mode on the EC2 is called "medium" on the Quark, which has 2 modes lower than that.

tam17

Enlightened
Are there any better clip options for the EC2? I like that the clip is 2-way, but i'm used to a strong Quark clip, and the EC2 clip is just not strong enough.
Also i wouln't exactly call the clip removably (like nitecore does), when the screws are loctited in place and can't be screwed out with a screwdriver. i almost destroyed the screws with a wrench
until i finally got them lose.

And i miss the low modes from my Quark... i think the lowest (non-red) mode on the EC2 is called "medium" on the Quark, which has 2 modes lower than that.

Never seen any other clip that would fit. Despite threadlocking, clip removal from EC2 is no big deal if you have new small Phillips screwdriver and averagely strong hands. I've used one of those that came with my external HDD casings. Job done in 2 minutes, with no visible damage to flashlight, clip or screws :cool:

Trick that worked for me is to apply great axial load on the screw's head and turn the screwdriver CCW violently. I'm planing to make a bolt-on lanyard attachment point and secure it where the clip used to be.

"Micro" mode on EC2 should be exactly 2lm. Some of E-series lights reportedly have much higher lumens in "Micro" and even "Low" mode. I don't know neither the cause nor how many units are affected.

Cheers

Cooper_GTI

Newly Enlightened
Are there any better clip options for the EC2? I like that the clip is 2-way

What do you mean by, 'the clip is 2-way'?

I'm struggling to see how you could fit the clip in any other orientation, other than the way it comes from the factory??

Just to add, i've been EDC'ing an EC1 for a few months now, using a Yezl 16340 Li-ion. It's been absolutely faultless! Run times are great, the red led lasts for days (i left it on accidentally when i went away) and the UI is great once you get to grips with it.

Waterproof wise - why people feel the need to dunk them in water, just to prove a point is beyond me. As long as it is fine to be dropped into wet grass and can handle a heavy downpour, that's fine by me and is probably the most extreme use you can ask of an EDC light.

If you want to go diving, don't depend a chinese made, $40 budget light. So pathetic that people actively try to break their lights in conditions that are so outrageously uncommon.

AFearlessBirdOfParadise

Newly Enlightened
What do you mean by, 'the clip is 2-way'?

I'm struggling to see how you could fit the clip in any other orientation, other than the way it comes from the factory??

Just to add, i've been EDC'ing an EC1 for a few months now, using a Yezl 16340 Li-ion. It's been absolutely faultless! Run times are great, the red led lasts for days (i left it on accidentally when i went away) and the UI is great once you get to grips with it.

Waterproof wise - why people feel the need to dunk them in water, just to prove a point is beyond me. As long as it is fine to be dropped into wet grass and can handle a heavy downpour, that's fine by me and is probably the most extreme use you can ask of an EDC light.

If you want to go diving, don't depend a chinese made, $40 budget light. So pathetic that people actively try to break their lights in conditions that are so outrageously uncommon.

The clip style is 2 way. Either the inside straight part and against body for a forward facing light for a hat, or bezel down pocket clip between the metal parts of the clip.

Cooper_GTI

Newly Enlightened
The clip style is 2 way. Either the inside straight part and against body for a forward facing light for a hat, or bezel down pocket clip between the metal parts of the clip.

I really don't see how this is possible...

If you rotate the clip 180 degrees, the clip would be hanging out in front of the light and it wouldn't seat properly as there is a ridge where the bezel increases in diameter.

Do you mean, use the 2 larger slots to screw through, so in essence, you are just flipping the clip over?

Pics of both positions would be great!

AFearlessBirdOfParadise

Newly Enlightened
Okay, but you owe me!!! I couldn't find my camera, or a hat (I'm abroad) so I do apologize for the terrible photos taken with the phone.

First two are what the clip would clip into if you want bezel down. The last two are what the clip would clip into if you want bezel up. You do bezel up if you want to use it like a headlamp, you can attach it to the brim of a baseball cap.

dqwfK.jpg

Lg8a8.jpg

MshXb.jpg

avwHu.jpg

So bezel down is you clip material between the straight part of the clip and the bendy part. Bezel up is material between the body of the flashlight and the straight part of the clip.