Nitecore MH25 or EA4 for Newbie?

Dubois

Enlightened
I have a sister visiting from abroad in a couple of months, who has asked me to get a light for her son, who enjoys camping with his young family. I initially thought of a headlight, but then thought a flashlight would probably be more useful.

First thoughts were to stick to AA, and the Nitecore EA4 came to mind. I already bought a friend a neutral version, and he's really happy with it, but he already has a decent charger, and I also gave him four new eneloops.

With usb rechargeable lights now available, I just wondered how suitable folks thought these might be for someone with no experience of li-ions? My thinking was that I wouldn't have to supply eneloops and a decent charger, which I would do if I got the EA4. In fact, if I bought the MH25, I wouldn't have to supply a charger at all ;), although I might get him a couple of Panasonic 3100mAh cells. I guess he already has a DMM, so I could supply a crib sheet showing how to look after Li-ions.

So, what do you think?

GaryM

Newly Enlightened
I have a MH25 and think it's a good light for someone who's not an enthusiast. I do wish it had a lower low mode, but other than that I think it would be a good choice.

herosemblem

Enlightened
Are there any issues if he or his family, on multiple occasions, deplete the Li ion cells to a very low level?

Another issue with almost any modern ie powerful flashlight...is it easy for young son or daughter to pick up light and instantly blast themselves, others, or fellow campers with 860 lumens? Also, can they be entrusted to employ enough dexterity to use the lower level and not turbo mode? There are issues with both lights.

Last edited:

Dubois

Enlightened
Are there any issues if he or his family, on multiple occasions, deplete the Li ion cells to a very low level?

Another issue with almost any modern ie powerful flashlight...is it easy for young son or daughter to pick up light and instantly blast themselves, others, or fellow campers with 860 lumens? Also, can they be entrusted to employ enough dexterity to use the lower level and not turbo mode? There are issues with both lights.

I would guess that they are responsible enough to ensure that the kids don't get hold of the light to play with, and the depletion point is a good one. One reason I like the MH25 is that it could be charged from a car usb point. I know the Nitecore cell is protected, so they would have to learn how to reset the protection if it tripped, but they are sensible enough not to keep running it down too often. I'm not sure if the light gives some sort of low battery warning (you would think that with the red switch light that could be accommodated).