• Awfull - Should be found on DX

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

Font size

Newly Enlightened
NiteCore Ez AA R2 Keychain Spotlight

[FONT=&quot]NiteCore Ez AA R2 Keychain Spotlight
145lumens.jpg

I am amazed at the perfect artifact free beam, every time I light up outside in the total darkness. No mechanical problems. I use high allot on AW 14500 cells.
[/FONT]

Foxfyre

Newly Enlightened
My D10 was wonderful, so much so that it led me to upgrade to the EX10 for more power and a smaller length. The old lady now resides in the hands of a friend and co-worker who says he wouldn't part with it for love or money.

Its replacement, an EX10 (R2 version), is fantastic and easily one of my most reliable and favorite lights. Bright, great tint, good run time and beam profile. Good size, light weight, tough and easy UI. Love it!

Now my EZ-AA was an entirely different matter; It quickly developed switching problems, flickering, failing to light at all unless tapped firmly, and on and on. Cleaning, Deoxit, Lubing, ect. failed to correct any of its quirks so eventually it got chucked out in total disgust.

If I knew it wouldn't develop the same bugs I might get the EZ CR2 but once bitten, twice shy. Perhaps some day...maybe :ironic:.

Last edited:

TriChrome

Enlightened
I bought a NiteCore Extreme R2, and a NiteCore SR3 (R2 as well). One arrived DOA, the other died a week later (I've been told this is a fluke as they're great for most people).

Both were replaced by the seller, and have been absolutely perfect ever since. Tint is wonderful (actually much better than my JetBeam RRT-0).

DoctaDink

Enlightened
My EX10 Golden Dragon has provided excellent service. The tint is a little cooler than I would prefer (when shining a white wall), but not annoying with everyday use.
Not wild about the EZAA design.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Extreme R2 I had was an exceptionally bright and built like a tank. I never had any problems with it.

Shao

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I voted "Average", due to the fact that the UI can be glitchy. I have owned 6 or so, and have had trouble with a couple....not a stellar track record to say the least. That said, I do EDC an NDI, but I get some flickering when twisting the head to switch levels. Seems like it does not like to have lube on the threads at all, works better somewhat dry. It is also finicky about which batteries it will run on.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
My EX10s and my current Extreme are excellent and overall my impression of NC lights is that they are generally good lights.There have been a few issues though.I did have to return my initial Extreme for defects and the EZ123 could have been designed a little better.My EZCR2 is better than the EZ123 but still not as good as the EX10s.
Considering that SF has had a few issues in the past and they are typically used as a high quality benchmark I went with very good."Good" may be a more accurate rating but it is not a choice and I think NC is better than average.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I can't even estimate how many D10's I've had and I've also had an EX10, a few NDI's, a few EZAAw's, an EZCR2w and just recently an SR-3.

I think the D10/EX10 will always be a classic of sorts, as will the NDI and all of their popularity would continue longer if Nitecore could lower their lowest setting.

Speaking of classics, even though the lineage of the EZ series has been questioned, I still think they perfected it in regards to reflector/emitter matching and making one of the nicest affordable minimalist lights made.
After looking over a friends loaner SR3 I'd say it is as good as any mass produced flashlight I've handled and built like a tank. Styling is a little more interesting than some may prefer, but a very solid light.
It sure is built and I love the UI, although I wish the low went lower, which is apparently a mistake many makers are making right now in my opinion.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 8 Nitecore's and I voted 'average'

3091xk5.jpg

I can't say I've had serious problems but a switch here and there, o-rings that needed replacement on new lights, sticky pistons, etc. make up a rather long list of small complaints. :rolleyes:

Because I simply love their design I will go on buying them. :cool:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
EZ CR2w- Very good IMO. Like the Aeon the little CR2 cell seems to last a long time, plus it will accept RCR as well. At night the 10 lumen low is more than enough for indoor navigational use. UI is just fine too, no problems. The Ano has been fine but it doesn't have to worry about keys either. A SureFire it's not but for the money it's very good. Would love to see an XP-E or XP-G version, why did NC suddenly stop making them?

Enlightened
I currently have a number of Nitecore lights including one of my all-time favorites, the EZAA. They aren't top of the line lights but they are very, very good. A lot of bang for the buck. Highy recommended.

Igor Porto

Enlightened
The older Nitecores are the best, using Q5 or XR-E R2 bins. The D10 XR-E R2 function normally with Trustfire 14500s (a bit longer than standard length), the piston is great, flawless. The same for the EX10 XR-E R2 and EZ123.

But the newer D10s are just TERRIBLE. First the XP-E R2 LED has terrible tint (purple/blueish), terrible throw, are always off center, the hole in the reflector around the LED has a bunch of imperfections that are reflected in the beam, the new piston o'ring slot is terrible, the o'rings provided (1.5mm diameter) are too large making the piston useless and too hard to operate. I had to change the o'rings to a 1.4mm diameter, now it functions properly but the feel of the old ones are much better. And to complicate even more, they don't accept most 14500 batteries, because they're a tad longer than usual and the piston doesn't work.

I'm not buying any of the new Nitecores, I'm just looking and buying for the older models (anyone selling D10 and EX10 with XR-E R2 in mint condition please PM me). Too bad because Nitecore used to be my favorite brand. :tsk:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
...But the newer D10s are just TERRIBLE. First the XP-E R2 LED has terrible tint (purple/blueish), terrible throw, are always off center, the hole in the reflector around the LED has a bunch of imperfections that are reflected in the beam, the new piston o'ring slot is terrible, the o'rings provided (1.5mm diameter) are too large making the piston useless and too hard to operate. I had to change the o'rings to a 1.4mm diameter, now it functions properly but the feel of the old ones are much better. And to complicate even more, they don't accept most 14500 batteries, because they're a tad longer than usual and the piston doesn't work.

I'm not buying any of the new Nitecores, I'm just looking and buying for the older models (anyone selling D10 and EX10 with XR-E R2 in mint condition please PM me). Too bad because Nitecore used to be my favorite brand. :tsk:
I've had lots of D10's and still have one left. I find it pretty saddening to see such a great light that was so good at the start go downhill like that.

As a Nitecore fan you should really at least get one of the EZ series into your hands before fully giving up on them.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 3 NiteCores: an EZ-CR2w, and EZ-AAw, and a EX10 SPw.

I voted very good but not the best.

I like the EX10, very bright and the three levels of the SP are well spaced.
The tint is nice (Q3 5A) but the beam is ringy. More ringy than the usual XR-E beam, IMHO. Perhaps they are using the reflector optimized for the R2 XP-E in the warm-tinted EX10 SPs?

Runtimes are very good. The UI is a bit quirky, but only going into strobe and SOS, which I never use. With the head loosened, the "momentary" works well with no inadvertent mode switching (the trick is to depress the piston only half-way). I like the piston better than a clicky, but not as much as the button on the NovaTac.

The EX1o is very nicely fitted and finished. A very nice light, for the price.

The EZs are nice. Both the head threads on the -CR2 and -AA seem just a tad rough, but this doesn't affect functioning. Good warm tints, and a less ringy beam than the EX10 SPw. Both very bright on high and the levels are perfectly spaced, IMO, for a a two-mode light.

My only complaint is that the anodizing on my EZ-CR2 is rapidly disappearing. It's on my keychain and is taking a beating. I thought HAIII would hold up better, but after all, it's still aluminum, and riding around with a few steel keys, in addition to whatever metal most keys are made of (?) it's probably to be expected.

I expect I'll by a couple more NiteCores, a D10 SP and an NDI.

Last edited:

Igor Porto

Enlightened
I've had lots of D10's and still have one left. I find it pretty saddening to see such a great light that was so good at the start go downhill like that.

As a Nitecore fan you should really at least get one of the EZ series into your hands before fully giving up on them.

Hi Kaichu, I have a EZ123 in my keychain and I like it :)