Nitecore TM10K

mcfarlie6996

Newly Enlightened
In fact using the excellent Samsung 48G 4800mAH 21700 cylinder cell is a fantastic choice for high current (35A continuous) and long runtime, but I thought there would be 2 cells, not just one...

It's only a 10A continuous battery. Sure maybe it's fine at 35A for just those 7 seconds but it struggles at 20A continuous according to Mooch's testing. (https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/attachments/samsung-48g-cc-tests-jpg.683061/)

A nice evolutionary step forward, It also features a USB-C charging port at 18W and rapid charge circuit with a charge time of 30 minutes, eliminating the 2.1A bottleneck of conventional micro USB charge ports.

It's 30 minutes to "recharge most of its power'. So maybe 1 to 1.5 hours tops for full recharge? Still pretty quick if that is the case.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
First: I'm a Nitecore guy. I EDC three lights and they're all Nitecore.

10k lumens in a portable LED light is nothing short of amazing. This hobby has come a long way. The TM10K has a form factor that actually looks practical for someone to carry on their person, unlike most multi-emitter and multi-head lights.

Unfortunately, something had to give, and that something was pretty much everything. A non-replaceable battery that can't handle the load means a disposable flashlight, and no cooling fins to dump the massive amount of heat means that the advertised output is limited to seven seconds at a time. A few minutes is already pushing it - I'm sure we all remember the output graphs of a classic, unregulated incandescent flashlight, that starts out strong and quickly fades. Seven seconds abandons all pretense of practicality and goes for numbers. They might as well have supplemented the battery with some capacitors and gone for a flash of a fraction of a second. Then they could put an even bigger number on the side of the light, with even more exclamation marks...

And that's what makes this light so disappointing. Its entire purpose is to say "look, it's really small and it can do 10k lumens for an amount of time that isn't zero. EXCLAMATION MARK EXCLAMATION MARK." A practical tool doesn't have its specs plastered on the side in bigger print than the product's name, and it isn't covered in exclamation marks. Why pretend that this is intended to be a useful light?

The UI is typical for a flashaholic piece: tap the power button to toggle power, tap the mode button while the light is on to cycle through ascending brightness levels, off to low by holding the power button, off to high by holding the mode button, switch to high output then hold power and mode buttons to unlock the setting mode and then increase/decrease with power/mode buttons, use turbo mode by holding the dedicated turbo button. In short, a mess. Instead of a customizable "high" output level, why not just add an extra level? This kind of UI is why I stick to the SRT series, which has none of this "where did I put the flowchart" nonsense.

Don't get me wrong: 10k lumens in a light of this size is really cool, but I was hoping for the second practical light in the Tiny Monster series.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, I could go for this light IF it had replaceable batteries and a brighter "high" level output. My ideal however, would be four programmable levels between turbo and ultra low. Ultra high at 4k-6k lumens, high at 1k-2k lumens, mid at 300-500 lumens, and low at 50-100 lumens. Yup, if the light had this flexibility, I would be on board, and think it well worth $300.

markr6

Flashaholic
My ideal however, would be four programmable levels between turbo and ultra low. Ultra high at 4k-6k lumens, high at 1k-2k lumens, mid at 300-500 lumens, and low at 50-100 lumens.

That would be nice. If all these people can make amazing, programmable UIs sitting in their basement or workbench in their garage, I would expect the same...or better, from a major manufacturer.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Choices can be good, but there's something to be said for a UI that's actually designed, so you can hand your light to someone and not have to spend more than three seconds explaining/showing how it works. Nitecore knows how to do it right; I don't know why they choose not to.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
My thinking is that the light would not be programmed on the fly each time you use the light. Rather, when you first get the light, you take the time to program each level to your anticipated/desired use, then basically leave it there. The light would have two "main" buttons--one to turn the light on/off, and a second button to scroll through the different levels of pre-programmed light output. If you have to choose light outputs each time you turn on the light, no that wouldn't work (unless you have a dial-type button that works like a dimmer switch, allowing an "infinite" number of settings--then the light should have one on/off button, plus the dial to select "any" output level--yay, that really would work for me).

Phil2015

Newly Enlightened
I have the TM26, and I wouldnt want really anything more powerful then 4000lms,, the main reason is because the low setting are increase in power and are too strong for everyday use.

Whats really annoying with my tm26, it takes a brain surgeon to work it and I have a few ppl in my family that uses it, 9 out of 10 times unless I keep reminding them, they do a full click instead of just touching the button (last used mode) putting it onto turbo mode. I wish it was a 2 button design so 1 button did the modes and the other was the on/off switch... Im even thinking of selling it because of this, even though its a fantastic light in every other way.

I could put a label on it I guess "touch butt for on" or something like that